Canon announces an 18MP 7D with APS-C sensor - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Send a message via MSN to ge-an_bas

Hi,

I've had a 7D now for a few months. And the video option is sinply amazing. The fact that you only need to bring the one piece of equipment makes it so easy.

Because you use the same camera for still and video, it's also really use to use stills in your video that perfectly match in looks etc.

I have no video skills whatsoever, but am pretty happy with the results. Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/basrijn

For the rest it's also a great camera. Low ISO performance is super. Coming from a 10D I really like the Auto ISO option and better autofocus. Autofocus did take me a while to get a handle on. A lot of out of focus shots initially

Bas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: adventure racing, hiking, backpacking, climbing/bouldering, mountain biking, falling over as i learn to downhill and cross-country ski, photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ge-an_bas

For the rest it's also a great camera. Low ISO performance is super. Coming from a 10D I really like the Auto ISO option and better autofocus. Autofocus did take me a while to get a handle on. A lot of out of focus shots initially

Bas
What problems did you have with the autofocus?
post #48 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Summit Master

There's so many AF points its nuts! I'm tempted to just centre-weight everything but will let that wee processor do its magic just to see how it does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Off the Beaten Path

@booewen @LeeL

I had a huge number of unscharp foto's where I was pretty sure that when I made the picture the focus points showed it focussed correctly. Reviewing on the camera also seemed to indicate that focus point was OK, but result was still out of focus.

Read thru all the manuals (I'm an IT guy, I don't read manuals!) and for the modes where it uses many AF points it will give priority to objects in the foreground. And with that many AF points over a large area of the view, it's easy to have something sitting before your actual subject that the AF system likes, but your brain ignores.

I did also use the micro adjustment option to calibrate my lenses, that did make a difference as well for some.

In general it's just good to know when Canon recommends what mode, and switch to it. For most pictures I have gone back to center point -> recompose, and now my keep rate is better then it was on the 10D

Bas
post #50 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: adventure racing, hiking, backpacking, climbing/bouldering, mountain biking, falling over as i learn to downhill and cross-country ski, photography

Thanks, good to know!

I just got a 7D too...and was disappointed with number of out of focus shots using the autofocus. i put it down to more megapixels (see the out of focus more obviously?) and shooting at a lower fstop (although I was extra careful focussing (i thought) at lower fstop) than i have previously (new lenses too).

How's that sentence for a maze of brackets. Can't be bothered making it easier to read because I just spend 14 hours filming with my 7D today! haha.
post #51 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Summit Master

The filming mode on the 7d beats the T1i hands down. The photos are not significantly better at present but there was a lot of user error as I was sprinting from point to point to film a mtb race.

Did get to film the Kids Race though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ZkUJ4ydsM
post #52 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Hi,

Cool video Lee.. Robin and I noticed it on our run while they where setting it up. We should go down there next year..

Canon has a bunch of useful tutorials, bunch of them about the AF system..

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=3167
post #53 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Ahrg, my friend works for canon and the workers get a special deal $1200 for body and a lens... wish I had realized he worked for canon earlier, now I gutta wait for the next worker discount time
post #54 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ge-an_bas

Hi,

Cool video Lee.. Robin and I noticed it on our run while they where setting it up. We should go down there next year..

Canon has a bunch of useful tutorials, bunch of them about the AF system..

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=3167
Thx Bas. I took a bunch of shots - playing with AI focus, AI servo, center-weighted. Seemed to be about the same for me. Having said that a lot of the shots were very rushed as I was running from spot to spot. I'll look through the tutorials

Wow obaskasan! What an incredible deal
post #55 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path

old film cameras w/ digital film scan equal to best digital for 100 --200 bucks.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/free-digital-camera.htm
post #56 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mrultralite

old film cameras w/ digital film scan equal to best digital for 100 --200 bucks.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/free-digital-camera.htm
Good luck getting those to do HD video though....

Plus I've seen what costco does with photos. They BUTCHERED mine when I was still shooting film. And you end up with a CD of JPGs not RAW images which is a massive difference.
post #57 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Sorry about the Costco recommendation, but the article also states;;

''For serious photography, I use Fuji Velvia 50 slide film, and have it processed and scanned to digital at NCPS, who also does mail order. NCPS also develops 120, 4x5" and larger slide (E-6) and traditional black-and-white film, while Costco only develops ''
post #58 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Too many to list.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by booewen

Plus I've seen what costco does with photos. They BUTCHERED mine when I was still shooting film. And you end up with a CD of JPGs not RAW images which is a massive difference.
You could always scan it at home into BMP.
post #59 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Summit Master

Not to be a gear - ***** (which means I am a gear *****) but I'm definitely keeping the 7D. The 15- 85 kit lens packaged with the 7d is also nice enough that I'll keep it.

Amazingly the London Drugs/ Kerrisdale Cameras bundle price of 2299 is cheaper than US mail order prices. Which meant I got to support local Can store plus save money.

I bought it mainly because the body is weather sealed. I'd been using the T1i in inclement weather biking, hiking, skiing and getting a bit worried about destroying it. Also thought I'd like the 8fps (yes I do! And I know its a crutch but it's a crutch I'll gladly use) and because I salivated over the better controls and better video functions (eg manual controls in video, one switch photo to video).

I didn't think the low-light performance for photos would be significantly better but so far, they seem to be better (ISO 3200 on the 7d are useable web-quality pics vs T1i which had more noise).

So far, TO ME, I'm pretty happy to get a chance to grow into the camera.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page