How to bring your DSLR to your hiking trips - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Off the Beaten Path

A camera is like a car. It depreciates the moment you take it out of the store and, unless you set it in temperature and humidity controlled room, it will degrade from wear and tear and get into the occasional accident. You don't leave the car in the garage at all times for fear of wear and tear or because there is the possibility of an accident. You should not leave the camera at home either.

My suggestions would be to avoid anything that hangs from your neck or one shoulder like the plague. These are fine for urban ramblings; when you need to put in a 12 hour day with 4 figure elevation gains, they will kill you. True, if you carry your camera in your backpack you need to stop and unstrap to take pictures. I find this to be a good compromise when I need to concentrate on covering terrain. On milder sections, I just take the camera out and carry it around my neck.

There are many solutions out there. For the past 4 years I have used a Lowepro Rover AW II backpack. It's only design flaw is that the camera compartment (and hence the weightiest part) is at the bottom. Other than that, it is an amazing daypack. Excellent padding, versatile configurations, very good adjustability, lots of pockets, built-in weather shield, and a tripod carrying system (carrying a fully secured tripod makes it slightly awkward to access the camera compartment - but then you only need to carry it fully secured if you are scrambling, in which case I'm not sure I would carry a tripod).

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...II,2024,14.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

The best setup I seen for dragging along a DSLR & Lenses is OKJacks setup.

post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 AM

I always carry my photo equipment (D80 plus a couple lenses) in a Lowepro backpack, never never leave home without it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

My DSLR is always slung around one shoulder with a nice neoprene strap and always ready at a moment's notice. I did nearly the entire NCT this way except for a couple brief rain showers. (I use a Sony A700 and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 lens). I also have a camera case on either side of my hipbelt; one carries my G9, polarizer and lens cleaning stuff while the other carries my tele lens in a nice Lowepro lens bag. This has been my system for the past 3 years and I've never had a problem.
I don't like the idea of having my DSLR packed away and I'm not into the chest bag idea.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I use a chest bag and sometimes some additional lens bags on my pack hip belt.

I was using a small LowePro Toploader, don't recall the model, with a D200 and 18-200. I have recently started using a Think Tank Digital Holster 30 which will fit my D700 and a large zoom lens but wish it had a larger outside pocket.

The chest bag offers some protection and I find them more comfortable than carrying a large dslr and lens swinging around my neck. To access the camera quickly I usually do not close the top unless there is rain or difficult terrain.

post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: adventure racing, hiking, backpacking, climbing/bouldering, mountain biking, falling over as i learn to downhill and cross-country ski, photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by danjurak

http://www.danjurak.com
http://danjurak.wordpress.com
Wow. I love your photos. They're all pretty unique. I like it that you don't have the 'standard' Rockies views in there. Very creative. Actually, the best set of photos of the Rockies I've seen. Including Darwin Wiggetts. Although to my disappointment I did see one shot of Peyto Lake from the view point creep in there
post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

TY Booewen. I am almost embarrassed to have the Peyto Lake shot in there because I've always tried to present a different view of the national parks than what we usually see. I'll probably delete it from the website now.

I've got a bunch of new stuff from this summer that hasn't been posted yet which soon will be and of course the annual autumn colors are just a few weeks away. I plan on being in Jasper, Banff and Yoho from the middle of September til the colors fade. It's a great time to be in the parks. Wonderful for photography and no crowds.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: snowboarding, photography, hiking, guitar

I use a pelican 1400 to store my slr gear while I'm working (mining exploration), but thats mainly due to the fact that my bag gets thrown around alot, and my camera is usually sharing my backpack with rocks, dirt, and plenty of rain.

Hiking, I usually toss the camera block from my camera bag into my hiking pack. You might want a rain cover over that if you expect wet weather, but cameras are pretty durable and won't generally need more protection than a semi-rigid case. The babied camera takes boring pictures, anyways, and battle damage adds character!
post #24 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Summit Master

dan - this ==> pure sex - http://www.danjurak.com/images/rockies/rockies_14.jpg

You've got pretty amazing shots in there but this one struck for pure unfiltered clarity.

I use this http://www.mec.ca/reviews/pwr/produc...o-Harness.html

Smaller DSLR's fit in there. It can be used in winter and summer. It's secure enough it can be used even when skiing or biking let alone hiking. It's also relatively waterproof
post #25 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Andrew Strain

I use a pelican 1400 to store my slr gear while I'm working (mining exploration), but thats mainly due to the fact that my bag gets thrown around alot, and my camera is usually sharing my backpack with rocks, dirt, and plenty of rain.

Hiking, I usually toss the camera block from my camera bag into my hiking pack. You might want a rain cover over that if you expect wet weather, but cameras are pretty durable and won't generally need more protection than a semi-rigid case. The babied camera takes boring pictures, anyways, and battle damage adds character!
==================================================

Pelican makes great cases of all sizes. Be aware though some stores really jack up the prices. London drugs have the best prices but you may need to order in the #1400. Colours are yellow or flat black or some have see-thru top lid. Lock placement holes and pressure valves [8D]
Whole - sale Outfitters, a big everything place, carries many Pelican models, but cost more
They also carry, if you desire , many many models and sizes of neoprene Rifle Cases that float, protect, some with outside compartments,straps. You could conceivably use and alter a small one to carry your unit set - up to goe, quick to open.$ 36 - 70 dollars.

Another option may be to look at fly/fishing rod cases, but they are probably too narrow for your uses.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks Lee. For shorter trips I use a ThinkTank pack, Glass Taxi model. Less really is more when shooting.

Nothing more than a wide angle zoom, tripod, a few graduated filters and shutter release and I am good to go.

All the extra stuff really gets in the way of taking pictures.

Look for more new stuff from Jasper, Banff and Yoho in the next few weeks as I'm taking three weeks off from my day job to go out and shoot more stock. Ahh, autumn, the best of seasons.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page