Self timed photo with unexpected result - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Off the Beaten Path

It was not a self-timed picture, it was taken using a remote control. The photographer took many pictures, and this was the best one. The camera refocuses after each shot, and hence the squirrel was in sharp focus.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1250605/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Exploring the outdoors

A better quality photo can be found at National Geographic - where this picture was originally published...

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/yo...ry=116&image=9

post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

It's still entertainment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 AM
High on the Mountain Top

When set on the timer, my camera will auto focus for each shot (unless I have set to manual mode). I think it's a fantastic shot -- such great fun!

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

---
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Off the Beaten Path

That ground squirrel gets around, he just showed up near Port Alberni: http://www.cordovastation.ca/fFoto.htm
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pmjwright

That ground squirrel gets around, he just showed up near Port Alberni: http://www.cordovastation.ca/fFoto.htm
Apparently he has relatives on the prairies. Here he is in Battleford, Saskatchewan, in what may or may not be his final portrait .

post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

I don't buy it. That squirrel is in suspiciously sharp focus, while the intended subjects are out of focus. When you set up a shot with the self timer, don't you first focus on the spot that you want to be in sharp focus? Ie, focus on the place that you are about to pose? Even with autofocus, you set up the shot first, and then run into the picture. I think they had their friend take the squirrel shot deliberately while they hung out in the background pretending it was supposed to be a shot of them.

It looks even more "perfect" here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...day-photo.html
It's totally more than possible. There are tons and tons and tons of these little guys in the Lake Minnewanka area, and none are shy. The camera can autofocus in between shots aswell, or with a remote as others have said.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Congrats for making the cover of the National Post last Friday! Cute shot for sure. Though this could be a fake, nothing in the photo that I've seen would leade me to believe this. The camera/focus operated as I would have expected it would in that situation.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Uh... hiking? :P I love love love the outdoors. And I like shiny things. Been hiking, mostly solo, for over 20 years. You might assume that makes me antisocial. And you would be right *g* Climbed rock and ice and mountains for many years too...

dav1481, he's still getting around... cheeky bugger.

post #25 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

From National Geographic:

Cheeky Squirrel Photo Crasher
By Marilyn Terrellon August 12, 2009 2:20 PM | Comments (51)
Melissa Brandts and her husband were hiking in Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada and decided to take a portrait of themselves with spectacular Lake Minnewanka in the background. Melissa set up the camera and went back to pose, and her husband held the remote shutter release.

Meanwhile, attracted by the sounds of the autofocus, an inquisitive Columbian ground squirrel, common in the park, popped up to investigate. Click! "Self-Portrait With Ground Squirrel" was born.

Knowing she had struck photo gold, Melissa sent the pic to National Geographic magazine's Your Shot, and photo editor Susan Welchman chose it for her Daily Dozen gallery last week. You can find it in all its furry glory by clicking here.

In the past few days, this photo has appeared on the popular blogs Nothing to Do With Arbroath, Neatorama, and that bastion of adorableness, Cute Overload. Today the photo surfaced on the Daily Mail.

Some commenters claim the photo was manipulated in some way, but one Daily Mail reader pointed out:
"You can tell this photo is legitimate because the squirrel's ears are pinned back like it was trying to figure out the camera sounds."

A Neatorama reader added: "The camera is autofocusing on the critter and not the couple. The perspective and lighting are absolutely consistent, and those whiskers are just too perfect to have been dropped in. Most of all, you can easily imagine the little guy being curious about the camera's delayed shutter countdown beep."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page