Canon EOS and lenses - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Canon EOS and lenses

Looking into buying a Canon EOS (probably the 30D model) and I'm wondering if this camera will accept my old Pentax K-mount lense of yore. I have several; telephoto, wide angle and a zoom that I used on my old 35mm SLR.
If this camera won't take these lenses I won't buy it...it just came up recently as a fairly good deal (50% off retail) and I would scoop it up in a second...if my other gear will fit!
The Canon Website doesn't offer much help, other than stating that their mount is a Canon EF-type (which stands for Electronic Focus).
Does anybody here know for sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hmmm....a bit more reading and I answered my own question:

"All Canon EF lenses have a microprocessor within the lens that provides a number of items of information to the camera. When you turn on an EOS camera film or digital the camera and lens communicate, and the camera "knows" the lens' focal length, if it's a zoom lens the actual zoom setting it's currently set to, and the maximum and minimum apertures, among other things. When the camera is activated, this basic information is transmitted to the camera body's main processor. When the autofocus and light metering are activated by pressing the shutter button halfway down, additional communication is carried out, chiefly signaling [u]the aperture control motor within the lens</u> to stop the diaphragm down to an amount determined by the camera (or the user, if the camera's used in Av or Manual exposure modes), and a start signal is sent to [u]the lens' built-in focusing motor</u> to begin driving the focusing elements of the lens for autofocus."

So I guess the short answer is NO...it Won't work!
Pity, I was a great deal!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Quote:
quote:Pity, I was a great deal!
What you or the camera?

You can probably get limited use out of your K mount lenses if you can find an adapter that enables K mount lenses to fit on the Canon mount (try Ebay). However the Canon wouldn't be able to communicate with it, so it would be manual everything. Canons are over-rated anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: snowboarding, photography, hiking, guitar

cant use em on a canon, but current pentax cameras will work with any pentax lens ever made! (im selling my k10d, if you interested... its on craigslist)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

Quote:
quote:Pity, I was a great deal!
What you or the camera?
Typo!

If it was totally manual, it wouldn't be so bad for me...but it would get used by others who are accustomed to AUTO-EVERYTHING, so that wouldn't work!
I'm still going back and forth between getting it or not...meanwhile, my lenses are collecting dust.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 10:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

I think Pentax K to Canon EOS adapters are out there, but they don't do Auto-Focus and your would be restricted to manual stop down metering only. The procedure for stop down metering is:

1. Set aperture wide open
2. Focus
3. Meter, setting aperture and shutter speed
4. Trip shutter

This isn't the most convenient process - it was phased out 50 years ago when open aperture metering appeared, so you are literally taking a step back into the photographic dark ages.

One side affect of this is that you won't be able to stop down the modern pentax lenses that don't have aperture rings.

If you really want to use your lenses, Pentax has some nice cameras. I have a K10D myself and I like it a lot. You should be able to find one pretty cheap now (less than a 30D) because there's lots of rumours swirling about a new K20D model coming out in the new year. What lenses do you have?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 02:15 AM
Summit Master

Don't feel bad. I was/am planning on getting the Canon 40D and I thought I could use some of my old FD lens with it but I can't. It's a shame to have them all sitting in the closet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page