Cameras, Lenses, and the US Dollar - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Interest: Saving the world.
Posts: 373
Default Cameras, Lenses, and the US Dollar

So photography lovers, where's the best place for me to pick up my next lens/camera? I've been eyeing a few different lenses but the price is still a bit high. Looking at the US prices and doing the conversion, I can save $200-$300.

Sticking with the big two, how are Nikon/Canon for warranties? I currently have a Nikon setup and I think they are sticklers about Canadian/American warranty cards. Is Canon the same way?

I'd really appreciate some advice on this. My birthday is coming up and I feel like buying myself something nice.

Thanks
eco_matt is offline  
Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,662
Default

you can't go wrong with B and H Photo Video

They are in NYC, their inventory is huge (you should see their store), they stand by their products, they ship to Canada, and their prices cannot be beat.

Adorama, also in NYC, is a close second for prices.

If you have a mailbox or a contact in the US your costs are going to be even lower.
seawallrunner is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.
Posts: 4,501
Default

I've bought a lens from B&H and their service was solid. Sucks not being able to try out three different copies of the same lens to get the one you want but if you have more time than money, B&H is pretty good about letting you return what your not happy with.

Monster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Off the Beaten Path
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: , , Canada.
Posts: 956
Default

I won't buy Nikon out of the US due to the warranty issue, but I have successfully purchased an excellent Sigma lens from B&H. It arrived to me on Friday after I sent the first copy back due to a defect. The return process was painless, though I did have to pay duty again. It xomes with a one year international warranty - pro grade glass, total of about $600 CAD (incl tax, duties, shipping) vs. about $800 (w/tax). I am unsure about Canon's policies as I have not had occasion to look in to it, though I suppose that it would be simlar to Nikon's if the pricing strategy is the same. Nikon Canada will not even touch US or grey market lenses for repair from what I have heard, even if you are willing to pay fo it.

I picked up the Sigma 18-50 2.8 DC EX HSM Macro and it is fantastic. The closest equivalent Nikon is about $1400 CAD.
Kathryne is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wetcoast
Posts: 244
Default

Had no problems on a warranty for a point-and-shoot waterproof Pentax - but in the end they only cleaned it. When buying from US web stores custom brokerage fees can be unpredictable and sometimes very steep. I had stuff shipped to Point Roberts (to TSB Shipping or others) and picked it up there. Coming back into Canada, one has to pay Canadian taxes and if applicable customs (not for products made in North America – never had to pay anything for camera equipment), but avoids brokerage, shipping is cheaper and some web stores won't ship outside the US.
ClauS is offline  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada.
Posts: 1,375
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SuperTwink

I won't buy Nikon out of the US due to the warranty issue, but I have successfully purchased an excellent Sigma lens from B&H. It arrived to me on Friday after I sent the first copy back due to a defect. The return process was painless, though I did have to pay duty again. It xomes with a one year international warranty - pro grade
If you send something back to the US you can get your money back from Canada Customs. If it is shipped through regular mail they include a copy of the form with the shipment (it is on the back of the page that tells you how much you have to pay). Same form for disputing the amount etc. Not sure how it works if you use a courier or bring it across the border yourself, but presumably there is a similar procedure.
swebster is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cranbrook, BC, Canada.
Interest: Climbing, Whitewater Canoeing, Backpacking
Posts: 24
Default

I am looking to buy a new lens and I am surprised about the difference in pricing between the US and Canada. Does any one know what costs typically would be to ship a $600(US) lens to a BC address.
Cary is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Off the Beaten Path
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: , , Canada.
Posts: 956
Default

6% GST, 6% duty, plus probably between $30-$40 for courier shipment of the lens itself.
Kathryne is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cary

Does any one know what costs typically would be to ship a $600(US) lens to a BC address.
Check the with the Canadian Border Services Agency about duties for any specific item. I'm pretty sure that most common camera equipment (regardless of where it is made) is duty free. Of course delivery, PST, GST, and brokerage fees (UPS will charge about $50 for a $600 item shipped Standard Service) will apply.

I was pleasantly surprised last year when I called the CBSA and they told me that digital cameras and camcorders were duty free. I saved close to $300 purchasing a camcorder from B&H.
PaulB is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Interest: Saving the world.
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PaulB

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cary

Does any one know what costs typically would be to ship a $600(US) lens to a BC address.
Check the with the Canadian Border Services Agency about duties for any specific item. I'm pretty sure that most common camera equipment (regardless of where it is made) is duty free. Of course delivery, PST, GST, and brokerage fees (UPS will charge about $50 for a $600 item shipped Standard Service) will apply.

I was pleasantly surprised last year when I called the CBSA and they told me that digital cameras and camcorders were duty free. I saved close to $300 purchasing a camcorder from B&H.
For everyone's info, you can skip the UPS brokerage fee. However you must call UPS before the package goes to customs, then go to UPS at the airport, pick up a slip from them, drive to customs, clear the package yourself, pay duty/taxes, and then go back to UPS and pick up your package. I've done it.

But if you are already going to the airport, you might as well just go to TSB shipping.
eco_matt is offline  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Off the Beaten Path
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: , , Canada.
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by eco_matt

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PaulB

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cary

Does any one know what costs typically would be to ship a $600(US) lens to a BC address.
Check the with the Canadian Border Services Agency about duties for any specific item. I'm pretty sure that most common camera equipment (regardless of where it is made) is duty free. Of course delivery, PST, GST, and brokerage fees (UPS will charge about $50 for a $600 item shipped Standard Service) will apply.

I was pleasantly surprised last year when I called the CBSA and they told me that digital cameras and camcorders were duty free. I saved close to $300 purchasing a camcorder from B&H.
For everyone's info, you can skip the UPS brokerage fee. However you must call UPS before the package goes to customs, then go to UPS at the airport, pick up a slip from them, drive to customs, clear the package yourself, pay duty/taxes, and then go back to UPS and pick up your package. I've done it.

But if you are already going to the airport, you might as well just go to TSB shipping.
Brokerage is included in UPS express international service.
Kathryne is offline  
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Interest: Saving the world.
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SuperTwink

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by eco_matt

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PaulB

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cary

Does any one know what costs typically would be to ship a $600(US) lens to a BC address.
Check the with the Canadian Border Services Agency about duties for any specific item. I'm pretty sure that most common camera equipment (regardless of where it is made) is duty free. Of course delivery, PST, GST, and brokerage fees (UPS will charge about $50 for a $600 item shipped Standard Service) will apply.

I was pleasantly surprised last year when I called the CBSA and they told me that digital cameras and camcorders were duty free. I saved close to $300 purchasing a camcorder from B&H.
For everyone's info, you can skip the UPS brokerage fee. However you must call UPS before the package goes to customs, then go to UPS at the airport, pick up a slip from them, drive to customs, clear the package yourself, pay duty/taxes, and then go back to UPS and pick up your package. I've done it.

But if you are already going to the airport, you might as well just go to TSB shipping.
Brokerage is included in UPS express international service.
Express yes. Standard no. When I ordered the cost difference was enough for me not to order express.
eco_matt is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1