Cameras, Lenses, and the US Dollar - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Saving the world.
Default Cameras, Lenses, and the US Dollar

So photography lovers, where's the best place for me to pick up my next lens/camera? I've been eyeing a few different lenses but the price is still a bit high. Looking at the US prices and doing the conversion, I can save $200-$300.

Sticking with the big two, how are Nikon/Canon for warranties? I currently have a Nikon setup and I think they are sticklers about Canadian/American warranty cards. Is Canon the same way?

I'd really appreciate some advice on this. My birthday is coming up and I feel like buying myself something nice.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Summit Master

you can't go wrong with B and H Photo Video

They are in NYC, their inventory is huge (you should see their store), they stand by their products, they ship to Canada, and their prices cannot be beat.

Adorama, also in NYC, is a close second for prices.

If you have a mailbox or a contact in the US your costs are going to be even lower.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

I've bought a lens from B&H and their service was solid. Sucks not being able to try out three different copies of the same lens to get the one you want but if you have more time than money, B&H is pretty good about letting you return what your not happy with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I won't buy Nikon out of the US due to the warranty issue, but I have successfully purchased an excellent Sigma lens from B&H. It arrived to me on Friday after I sent the first copy back due to a defect. The return process was painless, though I did have to pay duty again. It xomes with a one year international warranty - pro grade glass, total of about $600 CAD (incl tax, duties, shipping) vs. about $800 (w/tax). I am unsure about Canon's policies as I have not had occasion to look in to it, though I suppose that it would be simlar to Nikon's if the pricing strategy is the same. Nikon Canada will not even touch US or grey market lenses for repair from what I have heard, even if you are willing to pay fo it.

I picked up the Sigma 18-50 2.8 DC EX HSM Macro and it is fantastic. The closest equivalent Nikon is about $1400 CAD.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Had no problems on a warranty for a point-and-shoot waterproof Pentax - but in the end they only cleaned it. When buying from US web stores custom brokerage fees can be unpredictable and sometimes very steep. I had stuff shipped to Point Roberts (to TSB Shipping or others) and picked it up there. Coming back into Canada, one has to pay Canadian taxes and if applicable customs (not for products made in North America – never had to pay anything for camera equipment), but avoids brokerage, shipping is cheaper and some web stores won't ship outside the US.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SuperTwink

I won't buy Nikon out of the US due to the warranty issue, but I have successfully purchased an excellent Sigma lens from B&H. It arrived to me on Friday after I sent the first copy back due to a defect. The return process was painless, though I did have to pay duty again. It xomes with a one year international warranty - pro grade
If you send something back to the US you can get your money back from Canada Customs. If it is shipped through regular mail they include a copy of the form with the shipment (it is on the back of the page that tells you how much you have to pay). Same form for disputing the amount etc. Not sure how it works if you use a courier or bring it across the border yourself, but presumably there is a similar procedure.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Climbing, Whitewater Canoeing, Backpacking

I am looking to buy a new lens and I am surprised about the difference in pricing between the US and Canada. Does any one know what costs typically would be to ship a $600(US) lens to a BC address.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Off the Beaten Path

6% GST, 6% duty, plus probably between $30-$40 for courier shipment of the lens itself.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cary

Does any one know what costs typically would be to ship a $600(US) lens to a BC address.
Check the with the Canadian Border Services Agency about duties for any specific item. I'm pretty sure that most common camera equipment (regardless of where it is made) is duty free. Of course delivery, PST, GST, and brokerage fees (UPS will charge about $50 for a $600 item shipped Standard Service) will apply.

I was pleasantly surprised last year when I called the CBSA and they told me that digital cameras and camcorders were duty free. I saved close to $300 purchasing a camcorder from B&H.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PaulB

Quote:

Does any one know what costs typically would be to ship a $600(US) lens to a BC address.
Check the with the Canadian Border Services Agency about duties for any specific item. I'm pretty sure that most common camera equipment (regardless of where it is made) is duty free. Of course delivery, PST, GST, and brokerage fees (UPS will charge about $50 for a $600 item shipped Standard Service) will apply.

I was pleasantly surprised last year when I called the CBSA and they told me that digital cameras and camcorders were duty free. I saved close to $300 purchasing a camcorder from B&H.
For everyone's info, you can skip the UPS brokerage fee. However you must call UPS before the package goes to customs, then go to UPS at the airport, pick up a slip from them, drive to customs, clear the package yourself, pay duty/taxes, and then go back to UPS and pick up your package. I've done it.

But if you are already going to the airport, you might as well just go to TSB shipping.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by eco_matt

Quote:

Quote:

For everyone's info, you can skip the UPS brokerage fee. However you must call UPS before the package goes to customs, then go to UPS at the airport, pick up a slip from them, drive to customs, clear the package yourself, pay duty/taxes, and then go back to UPS and pick up your package. I've done it.

But if you are already going to the airport, you might as well just go to TSB shipping.
Brokerage is included in UPS express international service.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SuperTwink

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by eco_matt

Quote:

Quote:

Brokerage is included in UPS express international service.
Express yes. Standard no. When I ordered the cost difference was enough for me not to order express.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page