I bought the Canon 40D - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.
Default I bought the Canon 40D

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Karen

What? Where's the review? We want pictures!!!
I'm not so certain I am the best person to do a review of the camera, and if you can imagine, when I went in to purchase the thing I noticed that my only lens right now (ef 70-200 2.8 IS) had a loose front ring on the housing. So, from the camera store in Calgary where I picked up the 40D I drove approximately three blocks up 10th Ave to drop off my only lens for repair. There in my hotel room on the night stand stood my new 40D, in it's box, with no lens for me to put on it for three days. Yesterday I finally got the call from the repair shop that my 70-200 lens was ready to pick up, $100 later and I got to try out the new camera for the first time last night. Not much in the way of pictures to share yet however I will mention a few things that struck me immediately coming from the 20D.

- The shutter sound is very different, yes quieter but more is going on inside the camera now as it flips the mirror.

- Noticeably brighter and larger view finder, and no more ruining shots because you forgot you cranked up the ISO the night before, now ISO is displayed everywhere and at all times. Inside the viewfinder and on the top display.

- Bigger body! Perhaps 30D owners wont notice so much but the 40D seems to really fill up your hands which is good when you use larger lenses.

- HOLY LCD screens Batman! The back LCD is monsterous compared to the 20D and still a half inch bigger than what is on the 30D. Finally I can select pics to be deleted to free up room on my memory card with out having to wait till I get home.

- 6.3 frames per second and in RAW, bursts of up to 30 pics before the buffer fills up (100 pictures if you take in Fine JPG!). I purchased along with the camera the new Sandisk Extreme IV 2gig card to accommodate these long bursts but have yet to test it's quoted transfer rate of 40mb per second.

- Noticeably easier menu navigating. I was worried that I'd have to learn a new menu system from what I knew in my 20D but in fact, this one is so intuitive that I found very little learning curve at all.

- Dedicated autofocus button will take some time to get used to, I keep hitting the asterisk button on the back instead because thats what I had set my 20D to use for AF, however I like having the dedicated AF button it is recessed from the two zoom buttons so I'll need to get used to that.

- Autofucus improvement, well they say this camera is supposed to have much better accuracy on AF than the 20D and much better on the center focal point if you use 2.8 glass or faster but... I have no way of seeing this till I get it out for some real world use and find my hit ratio much improved. Fingers crossed there!

- Live View, a nice feature and very good focusing abilities when using it too but... not something I intend to play with till much later.

For certain I'll be posting some pics soon and then all can see what they think however... I just needed a camera and I survived with the limitations of the 20D well enough so as long as this new one takes pics I'll be content. (I giggle when I say "limitations" because in my three years with the 20D I never did manage to learn all it's features or even get the most out of it)

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Summit Master

thank you for the review Monster. I am holding out to the successor of the 5D however - I am looking for Canon's smallest full frame camera, not a big fan of big cameras (even if they are medium-big as is the case of the 40D, vs the MArkII Ds behemoth

Just as a point of curiosity, does home insurance reimburse camera losses, or does one have to have a separate rider?

Enjoy your new camera, and I always look forward to your photos!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

ohhh.. yer going strait fer the jugular here Cwall [B)]

You are absolutely correct, at least on the BCAA coverage, a separate rider is required for the kind of gentle use I was putting my 20D through. The regular insurance (renter/home owner) would only cover camera gear up to $3000 and with a $1000 deductible. The gear I lost was $3500 at the time of purchase, $2500 at the time of loss. In short, I could have been out of pocket only $1500 had I owned a BCAA policy however the claim would have really jacked up my premiums. With the separate rider on their policy, I could have had no deductible coverage for up to $5500 worth of camera gear and under all kinds of different use.. the cost of this would have been an extra $100 per year on top of what ever quote they give you for their regular policy.

Needless to say I've now purchased the BCAA coverage with the additional rider ($500 a year... caugh) however...

Like many of lifes most valuable lessons our tendancy is to learn them too late!

I've forgiven myself now by accepting the fact that... I'm not really all that smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seawallrunner

Just as a point of curiosity, does home insurance reimburse camera losses, or does one have to have a separate rider?
I have all my "good" stuff scheduled separately... for replacement cost... not "value"... It costs more, but you get paid, no problem... trust me, I know...

Lucky you, Monster... look forward to your pics...

C'Jack...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Summit Master

ouch! Thank you for the reminder (esp as I a BCAA insurance holder too) that rider is really expensive ($500, holy wow) but that's still better than being out of pocket for the whole loot. I'll inquire about the separate rider for $100 then

As for insurance claims - doesn't BCAA give one claim's grace? I'll have to go check my records

thank you for the information, sorry if this dredges up unpleasant memories... think of how much fun you will have with the new 40D, and again I can't wait to see all the new photos!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 AM
High on the Mountain Top

What repair shop did you use for the lens?

I'm also curiuos how many straps and leashes are tethering your new baby to your body?? []
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Congratulations Monster! I figured you wouldn't be long without a DSLR. Looking forward to the sample pics.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

Excellent, thanks for the review, it reiterates a lot of what I have read already. I'll be stepping up from a 300D which is getting "ancient" so I'm sure I'll notice a huge difference in the features.

I think the one I'm most looking forward to is the speed. I can barely take 3 pictures before I get the dreaded BUSY flashing on the back of my camera, horrible for taking pictures of birds and running toddlers.

The one I'm not excited about is the weight. I have noticed I feel giddy with power when I hold a 2.8 lens with lots of heft in my hands, but since we prefer to pack light to cover a lot of ground my camera gear does not fit into this philosophy. Especially the more I get into it, it seems the heavier the gear gets!

I'm interested in testing out the live preview. I originally did not see the point of it, but after reading comments from others, they use it so much more than they originally thought.

Karen
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM

...congradulations...new camera, i am envious now...sighs....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I suppose you didn't even glance at the 30Ds now on sale for under $1000.....
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 03:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Karen

The one I'm not excited about is the weight. I have noticed I feel giddy with power when I hold a 2.8 lens with lots of heft in my hands, but since we prefer to pack light to cover a lot of ground my camera gear does not fit into this philosophy. Especially the more I get into it, it seems the heavier the gear gets!
Yeah, but you can cut in other places. Food...water...shelter. I mean, who really needs a tent anyway?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

I was fondling a 40D last night. Very tempting - even moving from a 30D. If I can get a decent buck for my 30, I just might make the move. On the other hand... some more of that high-end glass might just suit my purposes better. Fast glass is very addictive.

Oh my.

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

Congratulations Monster!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I just got home from Calgary and, unfortunately with out my 17-55 lens which, is too bad because it was sent to the Calgary outlet of Canon for repair. I'll be in Calgary again next week though and am hoping I can pick it up myself instead of waiting for it to be delivered back to Vancouver.

Jimbo, I forbid you to buy the 40D. I had to sit around for a year and a half suffering through my fits of jealousy after you bought the 30D so.. now it's my turn to have the one up [}]

Karen, you on the other have my blessing! As a 300D owner your patients has been exemplary and you deserve an upgrade so... tell Dave I said it was ok

Cwall, you must be carrying a very heavy purse. I say keep your 5D because every indication about it's replacement is that it will still be a 5fps camera and lets face it, the image quality it has will continue to be the benchmark that Nikon has to measure up to.

Sodbuster, I cant remember the name of the camera repair shop I used but the guys at The Camera Store told me he was the ONLY guy they'd trust to repair an L lens other than Canon themselves however... I do remember the address of the place which is 107 10Ave S.

BG, Am I really that transparent?

Funny thing about this 40D is that, I feel just as intimidated by it as I did my 20D when I first got it. Every time I try to start reading through the manual I get the sleepies and have to put it down... all seems so complicated.

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Cool to see you overcame the hurdle, and now have an even better one.
Bet you baby this one lol I seen an ad in todays paper for the 40d body only for 1399 unsure if that is a good deal.

Can't wait to see your next cool pics!

post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Summit Master

Seawall: My place was broken into on August 16th this summer and my camera was stolen. Cooperators coverered the replacement cost as long as you provide receipts for the new purchase (less the deductable). I picked up a new Nikon D40 a couple of weeks ago along with everything else that was stolen.

Monster: interesting review on the camera. One of the things that is a concern for me with all these large LCD screens (including my camera is how to protect them from the elements, bumps, smudges etc. My Nikon 8700 was able to flip the screen which I liked. Does anyone know of any third party covers that are produced for these screens? I don't always like to put another bulky carrying case in my packsack so I lined a mini stuff sack.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page