Anyone use these SLRs ??? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Anyone use these SLRs ???

I am thinking of getting a D-SLR.
Not sure on the one I want and was wondering if anyone of you own any of these and what you think about them?
Nikon D-200
Nikon D-80
Canon EOS 30D

Ps I am also looking at getting a Ikelite case for diving for one of these. I know thats a long shot on this board but if you have one I would appreciate the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, mountain biking, skiing, talking to my puppy, trekking in Nepal

I have the Canon EOS and I am very happy with the quality of photos. I have been using it since April for work and play!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

if "trigger" could describe a tendency to purchase very expensive toys... begin stockpiling Canon lenses now.

30D is a dream at low light photography.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Summit Master

my dream is a 5D, but a girl can only dream. full-frame sensor in a smaller-camera package, mmm.

in the meantime, I am updating my arsenal of lenses. An ultrawide fisheye is next.

Back on topic: I have the Canon XT and it's *great* for hiking, it's light, sturdy and takes great photos
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 03:40 PM

If I dare to dream... I would want a Leica M8... which I can't afford. I would want a 30D since I have a couple of Canon lens for my EOS A2E. No problems with Canon at all, although I have no experiences with the digital SLR's. I might settle for the G7.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

The D-80 has been getting some very good reviews. It uses the same sensor and processing engine as the D200, but for 100's less. The 30D is a bit on the expensive side now compared to the recent crop of 10MP DSLR's now on the market. If you like Canon, also take a look at the new Rebel Xti.
Another one to watch for is the new Pentax K10. This camera also has in camera image stabilization, ultrasonic sensor cleaning, and is built with a weather resistant magnesium alloy body and priced around $1000.00 body only.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I used D-80 at work a bit. I don't know how to use all the fancy switches and buttons, but it sure had lots of them. It seemed to take okay pictures, though I couldn't seem to get it to work very well for macro shots. I'm sure there's a particular combination of buttons to flip and switches to push and lenses to turn to get a perfect shot, though. Other than that, all I can say is that it's heavy. Oh, and I'm not a camera expert.[]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: snowboarding, photography, hiking, guitar

Pentax! K10D!! If youre considering the other three, the K10D has to be on your list as well. I'm buyin one the second they hit the shelves, sometime in the next week or so.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks all for your input.
I looked at the K10D and like the weather seals that the Canon does not have but Canon has the best lens selection.
I have no lenses right now so I could go that way or the Sony.
So many choices.
I think that the EOS 30D might be my choice even though there is 2 Pixels less.[^]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: snowboarding, photography, hiking, guitar

The Sony Alpha 100 did win Popular Photographys camera of the year award...
http://www.popphoto.com/popularphoto...year-2006.html

As for your concern with lens selection...I was worried about that too, but the more I looked into it, the less I worried. Pentax glass is held in very high regard, on par with Canon and Nikon quality wise. Plus, its cheaper. The only knock against Pentax lenses is that they dont have ultrasonic motors in them yet, although that will change in march.

Whatever camera you end up choosing, I'm sure youll be more than happy with for quite some time. The Pentax has specs that really appeal to me, and initial reports from those who are lucky enough to have theirs already are very positve. Like you, I have no lenses and am new to DLSRs, and I'm sure I'd be happy with any of the cameras you listed.

Plus, if you dont get a K10D, thats one less person in my way when they finally arrive!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

Maybe this is a silly question, but I thought I might bring it up. Is this your first SLR camera? I'm assuming so since you say you have no lenses and you have not selected a family yet. If it is I wondered why you were specifically looking at the 30D instead of any of the other cameras in Canon's line up? Is it because you'll be using it mostly for diving and it is better at higher ISO's?

The reason I ask this is because if it is a hiking camera you're probably better off buying a cheaper body like the xti and putting that extra money you save into a better lens. A lens can be a lifetime investment but your camera bodies will come and go. There is a learning curve involved when you start shooting with an SLR and I also found a learning curve switching from film to digital. If you purchase a 30D as your first camera, you may be paying for features that you do not need or that may not be important to you.

If you have a specific reason for choosing your model and you've done your homework, or if this is not your first SLR I apologize, but I thought this was a fair thing to mention. Sometimes people run out and spend a load of cash on a camera thinking the more they spend the better pictures they will get, and that is certainly not the case!

If you want to read reviews of photographers that have actually used these cameras check out http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/ , although they only review Nikon and Canon bodies.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, snowboarding

For thorough digital camera reviews check out dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/

JB
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Karen

Maybe this is a silly question, but I thought I might bring it up. Is this your first SLR camera? I'm assuming so since you say you have no lenses and you have not selected a family yet. If it is I wondered why you were specifically looking at the 30D instead of any of the other cameras in Canon's line up? Is it because you'll be using it mostly for diving and it is better at higher ISO's?

The reason I ask this is because if it is a hiking camera you're probably better off buying a cheaper body like the xti and putting that extra money you save into a better lens. A lens can be a lifetime investment but your camera bodies will come and go. There is a learning curve involved when you start shooting with an SLR and I also found a learning curve switching from film to digital. If you purchase a 30D as your first camera, you may be paying for features that you do not need or that may not be important to you.

If you have a specific reason for choosing your model and you've done your homework, or if this is not your first SLR I apologize, but I thought this was a fair thing to mention. Sometimes people run out and spend a load of cash on a camera thinking the more they spend the better pictures they will get, and that is certainly not the case!

If you want to read reviews of photographers that have actually used these cameras check out http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/ , although they only review Nikon and Canon bodies.
My last camera is a Sony DSC-F717 and they call that SLR like, but yes it's my first SLR
I have read a lot of the reviews on the links listed here and so thats how I came up with the D30 as the rewiews are good about it. I also thought about the durability of it as it sounds like the XTI ect are more of a consumer brand. The D70 and D70s did not have that great of reviews.
I like my Sony that I have now its been a great camera for me, but they don't make the Ikelite case for it anymore. The D30 acording to the reviews seems to be good at higher IOS and most people don't think the two pixels make that much diffrence.
I like the Sony and the Pentax, but the lens selection is not there.
I am looking for something a bit more than just a hiking camera and have not really made up my mind.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

“I also thought about the durability of it as it sounds like the XTI ect are more of a consumer brand.”

For the record we own the original digital rebel 300D (we also previously owned non-digital versions). We have logged many trail miles with this camera, it has been bushwacked with, rained on, dropped, banged, and withstood the saltwater spray and sand in Hawai'i. What more are you planning to do with this camera?

I think the issue here is other photographers complain about the “plasticky” feel of the Rebel. Please take this opinion with a grain of salt, and consider who this opinion is coming from. These are people that own several thousand dollar lenses. The digital rebels are a great little camera and I would highly recommend them to first time SLR users. I consider myself a newbie and I have been using SLRS for about 6 years now. I feel I have finally outgrown my digital rebel, but not until this year.

This is often the pitfall of big ticket items. There are many people out there trying to up sell you to a “better” item. As far as I'm concerned if you're not planning on going professional and selling pictures to magazines or making huge blowups to show at galleries, you are not taking pictures of fast moving sporting events or giving Art Wolfe a run for his money as a wildlife photographer, you do not need features on the more expensive cameras like more megapixels, faster start up times or faster write speeds. Are you planning on shooting RAW and do you have the software to develop RAW photos? If not a feature like faster write speeds probably won't make a difference to you.

I can't speak for the Nikon cameras but what about the 20D? It is cheaper than the 30D, is the difference between the two worth paying the extra $ to you?

These are questions I cannot answer; we all have our own specific needs for photography. If you are going to dive with it more than hike with it then by all means better performance at higher ISO's should be a main factor in your decision. All I'm saying is don't discount the little guys. There will always be people out there that will claim X camera is better, and it may be true, but it still may not be the best fit camera for you.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Summit Master

hi all, I'm a fellow Rebel yeller here --

As far as I'm concerned if you're not planning on going professional and selling pictures to magazines or making huge blowups to show at galleries

...even then, the Rebel has worked just fine for me.

(if) you are not taking pictures of fast moving sporting events or giving Art Wolfe a run for his money as a wildlife photographer, you do not need features on the more expensive cameras like more megapixels, faster start up times or faster write speeds.

I must admit that I do have some lust for my boyfriends EOS 1Ds MK II (I hope I spelled that right) it's a 16.7 MPx and it shoots 50 to 3200ISO. However, it costs as much as a new small korean car, it's a bear to carry up a mountain - this camera is the size of a small laptop and weighs a few times as much.

Are you planning on shooting RAW and do you have the software to develop RAW photos?

The Rebels can do that, too, and there is a plugin for RAW on Adobe for CS and CS2

If not a feature like faster write speeds probably won't make a difference to you

...and mountains and glaciers don't move all that fast anyways.

The only thing I lust for at this stage is a full-frame camera, that 1.6x crop factor is nasty on wide-angles (but wonderful on distant zooms)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page