Capturing History - Leonard Frank - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Somewhere between pomp & circumstance, British Columbia, Canada.
Interest: Hmmmm?
Default Capturing History - Leonard Frank

I have decided to post these for the enjoyment of the retreads, photographers, and history buffs, but also for the education of the rock hounds. Leonard Frank came to BC in search of gold, but earned a decent living photographing the mountains he loved. I recently stumbled upon some of Leonard postcards ($0.25 each - dated 1927), and noticed a few changes since then. No Cleveland dam, no Sea-to-Sky, no ferry terminal. Leonard has given us a treat, a glimpse of HIS BC.
Next time your looking through the view-finder at a beautiful scene, tip your hat you Leonard.

Edit: Found a few more. Notice the totems (or lack there of) in the Stanley Park pic?

[u]His Story.</u>
This is about the human spirit of one man, and how he rose above adversity to capture the beauty of a Province. Leonard Frank came to Canada from German in 1892, at the age of 22. He came via San Francisco, where he was lured by the dream of striking it rich during the great gold rush. By the time Leonard arrived in San Francisco, stakes had been claimed and fortunes made.

Leonard Frank was an optimist, so when he heard that gold was being found a steamship ride away in a place called Vancouver, made his way north. Again, Frank, found that the gold had already been found. He, however, fell in love with Vancouver Island, the magic of the mountains, and the sense of impending economic prosperity. Vancouver was a small town on the verge of greatness. Frank stayed. If there wasn't gold on Vancouver Island, there was copper. So, he staked a claim for a copper mine, but was unable to survive on just the mining. He worked as a grocer, small business man, guide, and lumberjack.

It was while working in a logging camp near Port Alberni on Vancouver Island, that fate stepped in. He bought a ticket in a lottery and won. First prize was a camera. It was as though his life had gone full circle. Frank's father had been a professional photographer in Berne, German, a village of roughly 750 people on the Dutch border. Leonard had apprenticed with his father and learned the craft of photography before setting off to seek his fortune in America.

With the skill of a professional photographer, the eye of an artist, and the love of the landscape, Frank spent the next fifty years photographing every day life events and the coast line of British Columbia. His nearly 50,000 images captured a now vanished British Columbia. His photographs, German heritage and propensity to photograph isolated places around the province, raised people's suspicions during World War I. He faced public ridicule, scorn and ostracization during those years, and he was accused of everything from being a foreign spy to indecent assault. His reputation destroyed, Frank left Port Alberni for Vancouver.

After the war, Frank became the official photographer for the West Coast of the Dominion of Canada. He photographed dignitaries, Royalty and everyday people. He became the most sought after photographer in the rapid growing city of Vancouver. His experience during World War I may have shown him the ugly side of human nature, but his spirit and eye for beauty were not diminished. Frank took some of the most extraordinary pictures of British Columbia. Pictures which are still considered some of the greatest photographic images of Canada's West Coast. Frank's sense of beauty, his gaze towards the mountain peaks, helped to define Canada as a nation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Summit Master

Thanks Moses, I love stuff like this!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

That is fabulous, Mo, thanks for the post. Love all the Capilano stuff especially
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 09:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking,hiking,hiking and more hiking

I grew up in Port Alberni and remember stories and pics of his in the local museum. Very cool to see he was really famous and not some local legend!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, snowboarding

Fascinating post,

JB/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Somewhere between pomp & circumstance, British Columbia, Canada.
Interest: Hmmmm?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hikerdude1970

I grew up in Port Alberni and remember stories and pics of his in the local museum. Very cool to see he was really famous and not some local legend!
Famous enough to make a movie about him.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering

Great old photos Moses, can you or anyone else name the peaks and lakes in photo 5 from the Rockies?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

This is one of the most interesting threads I've read. Thanks Moses.

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

That's pretty cool, thanks Mo
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Wow very cool Moses! Great score on the postcards.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Great stuff from a great photgrapher. Thanks for posting it
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

great photos, that first lions one is now my background
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Wow, wonderful stuff. Don't ya just wish it was like that still today. Marine Drive looked like it was a dirt road. [8D]
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Summit Master

wow, what beautiful photographs and what a terrific writeup Moses! I can't imagine how I missed this thread the first time around!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Love this post. Got any more?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page