Capturing History - Leonard Frank - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.

We should convince Kodiak to post more of his.... He has some great ones!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Hi Moses,

I live in Qualicum Beach, on Vancouver Island and have been researching the history of Mt Arrowsmith for several years now. The Royal BC Museum and the Alberni Valley Museum have given me copies of several photos that Leonard Frank took in the Arrowsmith area and I use them in a presentation I do, on gaining Arrowsmith protected park status.

I just assumed Leonard was a local. Today I googled “Leonard Frank”, not thinking I would find much of anything, but I was completely taken aback by the amount of information and research that has been done on him. Your Club Tread post is among the info. And a very nice post it is, with a great summary on Leonard Frank.

If you go into the Vancouver Library photo archives and look up Leonard Frank, you'll find over 2,000 originals of his photos, some of your postcards included, but some not. I just spent my entire day, online, looking through them. Many of the photos are of buildings and factories, yet there are many gems. I would bet that the library would love to have your postcards, or at least properly scan them.

You have a nice little slice of history in that find. I'll tell you what...I'd be willing to offer you double of what you paid for the old postcards... 50 cents each!.. 100% profit!

Kidding aside, if you, or anybody else ever comes across any historical information on Mt Arrowsmith, please get in touch with me. I can be contacted through the Club Tread Forum.

Peter
post #18 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Summit Master

I picked up a couple of old postcards a while back too. Both were postmarked 1908 and mailed with 1-cent stamps.

The Lions:

Joe Fortes diving into English Bay. This is a Philip Timms photograph, which apparently I was lucky to have found:

Btw Moses, I can't believe those Leonard Frank postcards were 25 cents each. At that price I would have scooped up every single one of them as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker
Btw Moses, I can't believe those Leonard Frank postcards were 25 cents each. At that price I would have scooped up every single one of them as well.
How weird, having no recollection whatsoever of this thread or having posted anything at all on it, I found a small pile of Leonard Frank postcards at a junk shop for a dollar each. I scooped up every single one of them. Nothing that Moses hasn't already posted above.

I came across this thread by googling "Leonard Frank postcards" and was surprised to find this thread and that I'd posted on it.

Philip Timms was also a prolific photographer in Vancouver's early years, and apparently was an outdoors enthusiast with a particular fondness for Garibaldi Park:

http://www.vpl.ca/timms_lens/biography.html

Couple of Timms images (old postcards I've acquired):

One that I think MIGHT be Timms, but I don't know. I sure would like to find out more about this picture, ie who took it and what year:

And here's a tinted one from 1910 (photographer unknown) for the retread crowd:

post #20 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to brett

Great thread. Thanks Moses, Wilderness_Seeker.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountains,skiing,cooking,Conspiracies,reading

Good stuff Tracy and Moses.Does anyone remember those ads Grouse Mt used to run on the second front page of the Sun back in the late 50s early 60s ?I would love to see some of them.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tedoliver

Good stuff Tracy and Moses.Does anyone remember those ads Grouse Mt used to run on the second front page of the Sun back in the late 50s early 60s ?I would love to see some of them.
I wasn't even born yet, but...I bet if you wanted, you could get those back issues from the Vancouver Sun, probably tucked away on microfiche or whatever they do with this stuff nowadays.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:52 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I looked for Berne in Germany near the Dutch border, but only found one (besides the Swiss city, of course) in the Netherlands. That would make Leonard Frank Dutch, not German. Unless there's yet another town of the same name.

Nice to see the historic stuff coming up, though. Beautiful photos.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:11 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Fascinating information and pictures! Thank you for sharing!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page