Are you a cokin user? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Are you a cokin user?

that's a type of camera filter, folks

I had some nice results with my graduated filter P121 during my trip to Ross (remember those angry clouds in the first or second photo? that's cokin at work)

I'm about to rush out to get an ND-8 so I can do long exposures in daytime

Anyone here use an IR filter with their dSLR? Good results? Indifferent?

Let me know your stories, and tell me about your cokin setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

I would like to get a graduated ND filter. I want to wait untill I get a new lens though. To my knowledge they are not universal to different sized lens mountings? Is that accurate?

I like the effects that I get with my circular polarizer. What a difference with water shots.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

Several members of my camera club have done IR photography with their DSLRs with good results reportedly - haven't seen them tho. I'm thinking of trying it myself. An ND filter is on my short list. My pro 1 has a built-in nd filter, which comes in handy more often than one would think. I used a graduated ND filter a while back for some water reflection shots. Reflections in water are 2 stops dimmer than what's being reflected - something I just learned. No cokin here - I hear it can be an expensive habit

Mounting sizes are all over the map, T2C. I have 2 lenses and they're both different sized mounts. Love my circular polarizer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 03:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

The IR filter (80A, I think) is at the top of my list of camera gear to pick up soon. I'm thinking about taking my 30D and converting it to an IR camera, but that's a lot of work for a one trick pony, camera. But it'd be nice to be able to see, then shoot. Unlike with the IR filiters where you have to frame and focus and everything, then put in the filter and shoot.

----------------------------------------
I never get lost. It's just that sometimes, I'm not sure where I am.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Send a message via MSN to ge-an_bas

We have an IR filter, but didn't really use it a lot. Hardly ever really :-)

Our only example online: http://gallery.brijn.nu/ir/aaa

Canadian trail data
http://trail.brijn.nu
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I'm not a cokin user yet, but the whole IR filter thing has interested me for awhile now. I'd imagine you'd be looking for high contrast photo ops similar to that of B&W photos.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

I have a 2 stop grad ND filter. The biggest issue I have is the line of the landscape I want to use it on is rarely a perfect straight line and sometimes it is very obvious in the photo where the ND filter transition is. Looks terrible.

On the other hand I've had great results with it (my recent Garibaldi shots would not have been possible without it). I get good use out of it on white volcano in background, dark meadow flowers in foreground shots, my favorite kind of shot.

I have often complained about not being able to expose waterfalls long enough because they get too washed out, perhaps I'll see you in the line up at the camera store to buy an ND-8 SWR!

Time2climb, I can use the ND filter with two of my lenses, but my fast 50 is too small, and my super wide angle is too large. I actually had to buy a seperate polarizer for my super wide angle. Cost me $200 - ouch! But no point in buying good glass and putting a cheapie filter on it - it just degrades the photo quality (in fact each piece of glass you put over your lens will degrade the quality in some way).

http://groups.msn.com/DavidKarensHikingPage
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Summit Master

Ok I just bit the filter bullet and went for the Cokin filter system. Got the ring adapter and filter holder pretty cheap on Ebay (came out to $13.00 US with shipping) and also got a P120 and 121L for grad filters.
Those came out to about 30.00 each with shipping.
This way all I'll need to do when I succumb to lens lust is get a different ring adapter for the other lens(es) and I'll be set.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I have had a hard time finding a Cokin system in town but I used to have one when I bought my first SLR in '83. Too bad it was stolen! I am currently researching digital IR and haven't decided on filter value yet. My only experience with IR is 35mm film.

The stuff I am finding on IR says the results very depending on your DSLR IR filter that's built in. My D50 works and I have seen non-IR-dedicated D70 shots. I don't know much about other DSLR's.

Are you considering Cokin A or P system? I was thinking P to cover off my 77mm filter size lenses.

I'd love to know where you're finding this stuff (I'd prefer to pick it up than order it on-line, I like to try stuff).

Oh, and if you are a former Langara student, I got an e-mail from their new marketing person. They are now offering two free workshops a month. I am going to one onthe 30th (9-5pm) designed to help us old film hacks get into digital SLR. I'm pretty impressed that they'd offer a full day workshop.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:55 PM

I've used two stop and a three stop Cokin P grad ND filters for years to hold back light in some areas (ie brilliant alpenglow on snowy peak,) to allow for proper exposure of an interesting foreground (dark valley, flower meadow etc). I prefer to hold the filter up to the lens. It's faster and less cumbersome than using the big slotted plastic thingy. I do still have issues with the transition line, from time to time , as mentioned above.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteveOz
I prefer to hold the filter up to the lens. It's faster and less cumbersome than using the big slotted plastic thingy.
I have recently come to this conclusion as well, that ring is a real pain to work with, I now hand hold the filter.

Karen

http://groups.msn.com/DavidKarensHikingPage
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 05:47 AM
Summit Master

Ms. Twink,

I got my Cokin filters from here:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ype=osi_widget

And the holder I got from here:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...B:EOIBSA:CA:31

Incidentally, I got a 17.5% refund on the filters because not being from the U.K. I got the VAT tax refund that was included in the price, so my filters came out to under 30 bucks a piece with shipping included.

I went with the "P" system filters and holder.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page