The Mountain Project, a Photo Essay. - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........
Default The Mountain Project, a Photo Essay.

Hey everyone. Longshadow encouraged me to post this as a photo essay from https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=17322

So here goes:

I'd like to post an appeal to our little community. Neil Granger of the Chilliwack Outdoor Club and driving force behind the Mountain Project back in the 80's is looking for recent pictures of the crosses that were erected on Peaks named after fallen Canadian Forces service men.

Once I get my act together I'll post a listing of places these crosses were erected. Ones that come to mind right away are Rexford, Thomson, Clerf, Grainger, Ling...

I've noticed a recent picture in Jeffster's TR that shows an awesome shot of the Rexford Cross, we have pictures of the Clerf, Thomson and Mercer crosses and I'm hoping to gather them all up in this thread and send the link of to Neil.

So anyone game? (Especially you rock jockeys out there![])

Quote:
quote:Grainger Mtn Project:

Mt. MacFarlane: Wreath left at summit for Ronald E. MacFarlane May 26th-27th 1984

Wright Peak: Cross left tied to a tree for Frank Wright. (no date given)

Thompson Peak: Cross left on summit for Keith "Mac" Thompson May 26th 1985

Grainger Peak: Summit for Frank Grainger June 22nd 1985, cross forgotten in helicopter. Pilot "Gerry Freeman" promised to return and place the cross? (no mention that it happened?) A note was left in the cairn at summit.

Mt. Northgraves: Cross left "on a spur ridge with the mountain behind." Alongside the cross Grainger left the following explanation:
"Ice and snow barred climbers from making a final, safe ascent to the summit. Crosses of this type, in memory of the verteran whom the maintain is named after, are placed near the mummit of each peak". (Grainger's Mtn Project, excerpt first published in the Chilliwack Progress, Sept 5, 1984)

Mt. Jarvis: Cross left for Terrance P. Jarvis on Sept 15th 1986.

Mt. Rexford: Cross left for Douglas Milton Rexford September 1st 1985

Mt. McNair: Cross left wired to a tree in the alpine at summit, for Nathaniel Wesley McNair. Rock cairn built nearby in 1986.

Mt. Coulter: Cross left at summit in cairn for Richard Leslie Coulter June 22nd 1984. See "The Mountain Project" for an interesting letter from a crewmate of Richard's sent to his family upon hearing of the mountain project.

Clerf Lake: Cross left wired to a tree near the lakeshore for Claude Clerf on June 23rd 1985. It reportedlyMt snowed that day at the lake.

Mt. Conway: Cross left at 1920 meters (summit?) for Archie Conway on July 28th 1986.

Ling Lake: Wreath left for Frank Ling, tied to a tree beside the lake June 5th 198?

Mt. Nowell: Cross placed on a tree 15m below summit for Norville Carl "Bud" Nowell on May 23rd, 1985.

Mt. Snider: Cross placed on summit for Lloyd Snider summer 1986. Lloyd's brother Andy who was in his early 60's at the time and had "never done this sort of thing before."

Jorgenson Peak: Cross placed in the snow at summit for Maurice Jorgenson on March 11 1985 (would be interesting if this one still sits there!)

Mt. Brice: Two Crosses placed on summit for Tom & Vincent Brice on Novemeber 18th 1985.

Mt. Baird: Cross placed at summit for John Douglas Baird by Jean and Francis Baird via helicopter. (date?)

Mt. Hansen: Canadian Flag and Cross with a wreath placed on summit for Eric Hansen via Helicopter by family, July 29 198?

Tingle Lake and Tingle Creek: Aubrey M. Tingle and Cyril N. Tingle respectively. Crosses were first placed in a cairn and then tied to a tree at a bluff "at the end" of the lake. Sept 14th 1986 by helicopter.

Mt. Archibald: cement cairn and stone cairn placed for Ronald Archibald on a "solitary bluf, seperated from the rest of the grassy peak by a stand of trees". October 5th 1985.

Mt. McRae: Cross placed on a tree at summit for Gordon McRae on September 7th 1985.

Mt. Ling: Cross placed on summit for Stanley Harold Ling by the 6th Chilliwack Scout Group on July 7th 1984.

Mt. Lockwood: Cross on summit for John Lawson Lockwood on June 5th 1985

Williams Peak: Cross in summit cairn for John William Willams on July 21st 1984 by Neil Grainger.

Eaton Peak: Cross placed on summit for D.B. Eaton

Wright Peak: Cross placed on a tree at summit for Frank Wright

Berkey Creek: Cross placed by creek in cairn for G.R. Berkey

Mt Ford: Cross placed at summit in cairn for H.K. Ford

Mt MacDonald: Cross placed at summit for R. D. MacDonald

Cantelon Creek: Cross placed by creek in cairn R. Cantelon.

Sowerby Creek: (Cross?) placed by creek in cairn for E. Sowerby.

Mt. Corriveau: Cross placed at summit by 147 Air cadet squad for Arthur Corriveau.

Mt. Keenan: Cross placed on summit for Bernard Keenan.

Johnson Peak: Cross placed at summit in stone cairn for R.E. Johnson.

Mt. Rideout: Cross placed at summit for L.C. Rideout

Mt. Holden: Cross placed at summit for T.D. Holden (a young BG and Neil Grainger did this trip)

Mt. Mercer: Cross placed at summit for W.R. Mercer. (long since disapeared last known picture 1986)

There were others, I don't have their stories so I'm not sure what was left, where, when or by whom.

J.D. Baird, L.L. Bedard, R. Brown, A.G.G. Brown, H.E. Boutroy, W. Cameron, H.R. Carter, A.Conway, L.R. Coulter, R. Currie, A.G. Devoy, F.A. Doherty, J.T. Drader, W.B. Eaton, J. Edgar, S. E. Eversfield, R.C.Field, H.K. Ford, I.J. Forddred, F. Gerty, G.A. Good, R. Goetz, G.H. Green, E.S. Hansen, L. Harvey, D.C. Hazelton, W.R. Jackman, D.C. Hazelton, D. Jeffrey, R.E. Johnson, M. Jorgeson, D.B. Kessler, B. Klaudt, J.S. Lees, E.G. Ludwig, A.H. Macleod, N.W. MacNair, L.H. McConnell, A.M. McKenzie, D. Montgomery, W.S Murray, L. Nelson, L. Norris, N.C. Nowell, L.D. O'Connor, L. Parker, J. Potter, A. Renz, E. A. Ronksley, J.T. Scudamoe, E.C. Smith, L. Snider, S.D. Spencer, M. Stewart, J.R. Stoneman, J.A. Thompson, J.L. Tingle, L.M. Warr, K.W. Wilson, A.A. Wittenberg, L.C. Wray, F.H. Wright, Harry Laughington, John McRae, George Meronuik, Horace Downing, Bernard Klaudt, Bernard Keenan, Raymond Denau, James Wells, John Finlayson
Information source "The Mountain Project" by Neil Grainger, 1998.

So Far:

Clerf:

Mercer:

Rexford:

Thompson:

<i><font size=\"2\">Look to the mountains to learn of beauty and grace, for nowhere else will you find so pure an offering.</font id=\"size2\"></i>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Bump
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

The picture I have of the Archibald cross has people in it but I believe Stu has one he can share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking

This from July 2010
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

There was only a bit of the foot of the cross left.
It was attached by a metal support attached to this rock and cement cairn.
The glass jar has this note in it put there by the Chilliwack Outdoor Club on behalf of the Chilliwack Museum.

Spencer:
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Brown Peak

Mount Potter

Thompson Peak
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2021, 01:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Can anyone help me with why Macleod is listed twice on that map? Jarvis , Snider, Macleod, are all in the correct spots but then there is another Macleod listed above the southern Macleod. The only peak in the area would be Peers Peak( the high point on Manson ridge) but Bivouac says it was named after a surveyor and not a war vet.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2021, 11:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

There are a few names that show up twice on the Chilliwack Cenotaph, Brice, Brown, Eaton, Ling, and Thompson, as well as the Tingle family which lost three members. I'm fairly confident the second peak shown as MacLeod on the key map is just a typo. How about a "Mountain Project" to hike all the serviceman peaks? Not an easy task.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page