Buy camera......when? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Default Buy camera......when?

I'm planning on buying a digital pretty soon and have been looking for quite a while. There're a few sales going on now to snag Christmas shoppers. A sale for the camera I want expires Dec. 24!!

I'm wondering if I should wait till after Christmas for any Boxing week sales but don't want to miss out on a deal for a camera I've otherwise seen at a higher regular price for months. From what I've seen online, I'm confident there won't be any similar cameras coming out in the new year that will drop the current price. What's been your buying experience around this time of year? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Not necessarily this time of year, but I bought mine 2 years ago (3.2 megapixel) 2 months later there was a 4.5Mp for the same price, 2 years later (now) the 8 mpix is the same price... be prepared for rapid obsolescence whatever you buy, so make sure you get something good to start with.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

If its a good deal go for it now. No matter what, it will come down in price after you buy it. But you can wait forever for the perfect deal. Get it now and take some pics, I say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Summit Master

Agree with Dru Andy. I bought a "State of the Art" canon S50 2 years ago. Paid almost $800 and they tell me it is now worth $150 [V]
We were out looking at them last weekend and there are some good deals out now. Mine's 5mp but the new ones in that range are loaded with features.
I did wait for boxing day sales and found the price didn't drop much. It did however when the new models came out.
The dam things are just like computers. What you buy today is obsolete in a year or so.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

Buy soon. Buy this:

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

That's it, isn't it, Doug ? Nice looking camera
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

May I ask what the camera is you are looking at?
My first digi camera I bought was the last of a few they were selling, because the newer model was already out, so I got a good deal at $300 off the regular price.
Really, it's timing, and based upon what you want out of a camera.
Most of them now are pretty good deals with 8MP, depending what 'bells and whistles' you want out of them.
If you buy this camera what is thier price protection guarantee? Or can you return it in January (no questions asked except that you changed your mind kinda deal)
Big dilemma I know, I waited a good 8 months or so before the camera I was set on (my second digi cam) came down to a price that I could swallow.

Good luck with your purchase, and I'll look forward to seeing some awesome pictures you take in your future trip reports

----------------------------------------
Have a Holly Jolly...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Summit Master

Anyone had good luck with the latest crop of Canon digital cameras? I have a Canon S60 and its not working and I'm in a heated battle with Canon over who's responsible for fixing it. When I close or open the shutter door the camera doesn't power up. The camera has old impacts from last summer and worked fine till November. Canon said the impact caused the problem but it worked fine for over 4 months so wtf!

At this point Im so fed up with Canon's warranty I'm going to just buy used on Ebay. I'm looking at S50; S500 and the SD400 series - basically I do want 5.0 MP and want to use Compact Flash (because I have all those memory cards) but I do like the Canon software and user interface.

But I want something that lasts. My old Digital Elph S200 still rocks but the 2.0 MP quality doesn't cut it for the long distance panorama shots I usually take. I want something kinda small - the S50 - S60 brick size is as big as I want to go. For that reason I don't want a SLR.

Reviews at dpreview.com are kind of useless. Basically as an outdoors user using it for hiking/biking/skiing the camera's going to see inclement conditions - but I won't abuse it. I carry it in a case etc. I even keep the darn thing warm.

Also I like the manual functions in the Canon S50; S500 and the SD400 series and the ability to set F-stop/ exposure/manual focus. I also like the optical viewfinder.

I just want to get some idea of what actually is tough and lasts of those three cameras. Anyone?

Comparison fwiw http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_s60&show=all
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I like the buy soon/now advice, and the price guarantee, I'll have to look into that. I'm getting a Nikon D70S (dslr). Between my old Nikon slr and a newer point and shoot film, I enjoy the slr a lot more, so I'm looking forward to this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Headed for the Mountains

check out the site www.dpreview.com It has very comprehensive reviews of loads of cameras.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:51 PM

Check this web site before you make your final decision where to buy:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/

----------------------------------------
I don't know where I am going, but I am on my way.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

I just bit the bullet and finally got myself a Canon 20D with an EF-S 17-85mm lens. It is true that technology changes so fast that you can rest assured, all digitals will lose their value much faster than film cameras.

Is this a problem though?

I really dont care how much the value of my purchase drops, because I got a body that does everything I need and can take regular film photography lenses. The value loss on Point and Shoots is a little tougher to swallow though.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Monster, I remember your other post about looking at the 20D, right on.

I experimented yesterday, trying the 50mm lens from my old Nikon and an 80-200mm Tamron and it's great to see something 25 years old or so work on something new. What doesn't work of course when using the older lenses, because there's no CPU in the older lenses, is the exposure metering on the camera. So I took a series of pictures looking at the LCD screen after each one, and adjusted either f/stop or shutter speed and took another. A light meter would save the hassle here.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

Thanks BC'r... I have not had much time to really play with it yet as I'm stil in Ottawa however, it's still been fun to experiment with it around around town. I'm still trying to get the hang of this but at least now, on day four... I've managed to accumulate a few trial shots.

Here are some of my very first shots with this new hunk of glass, wish I could get the noise down in night shots better...

Monument "Unkown Soldier"

Le Hotel

post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Very nice. Re: the noise in the night shots, higher ISO settings needed for darker conditions will give more noise, like a faster film showing larger grains. A tripod might let you keep the ISO down because you'll be able to use a slower shutter speed. If your camera stayed at a lower default ISO when it took the night shots (mine's defaulted at 200, unless I manually change it, or use a custom setting that auto adjusts it), maybe there's another adjustment you can make. I'm trying to get my head around digital cameras even having ISO settings!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page