Canon SD400 or Canon power shot S2 IS both 5mp. - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Default Canon SD400 or Canon power shot S2 IS both 5mp.

I'm stuck between style, size and versatility... I have done my homework on the cameras but when it comes to electronics i am unalbe to trust my own judgement.... Please help!

I want all the cons. !!!

Thanks,
-Jared

----------------------------------------
"No Mister Bear not My Leg!"....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I went from a smaller camera to an S1IS last year and don't regret it. The extra weight is worth it for the zoom shots. But a small camera like the SD400 is still pretty cool to have. Whats the saying, 6 of one, half dozen of the other?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:11 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I bought the S2IS and don't regret it for a SECOND. I wanted the zoom, so for me the SD400 wasn't even an option.

One thing you should concider though, are the batteries. The S2 takes AA's, where the SD400 takes lithium. AA is just soooo much more practical for those "kodak moment emergencies". lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jared_bc

I'm stuck between style, size and versatility... I have done my homework on the cameras but when it comes to electronics i am unalbe to trust my own judgement.... Please help!
Go for the S2 IS. 432mm optical zoom! [:0] The "IS" feature will really make your low-light "hiking in the dark forest" photos look much better.

In my opinion smaller cameras look nice at first but they are still fairly expensive and don't take photos better than a $50 35mm walmart instamatic. They just can't fit good optics into them. Whatever you do don't buy a camera that doesn't have compactflash - it's much cheaper and more durable. The proprietary memory cards are hell.

I've seen a lot of happy hikers with Canon Pro-1 cameras - quite a bit larger and heavier but worth the tradeoff for exceptional pics. Personally, I have a Canon A95 - works pretty good for what I need when hiking but still can't beat my 35mm SLR. The pro-1 has an LCD in the viewfinder too - very nice.

Spirit is right about the batteries too - it's a trade off though. Lithium may give you more life. I use Energizer 2500ma NiMH batteries but the main problem with rechargable NiMHs is that they loose their charge quickly - you can't leave them in the camera for a week or two and expect them to work (they drain naturally on their own).

That said, the AA's are great if I'm in a bind when hiking. GPS run out? No problem, swap them in. Headlamp run out? Ditto - pilfer from your camera. All my gear uses AA's - did that on purpose. Mix n Match when you're getting low on juice!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ShadowChaser

In my opinion smaller cameras look nice at first but they are still fairly expensive and don't take photos better than a $50 35mm walmart instamatic. They just can't fit good optics into them.
Smaller cameras have smaller lenses. The smaller the less, the less light allowed to enter. This is one example where I can definitely say the bigger the better.

Edit: I forgot to ad that the only con I've seen so far is the S2's difficulty in low lighting. However, in most cases, the IS more than makes up for it.

You can compare them yourself on www.steves-digicams.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Yikes!! after comparing prices again I thought hard about this and well... I'm going for the Conon S2 IS It's an awesome looking camera. Also the reason for the camera is all our other cameras don't do justice for me. MY father also said theres no point in going for a lesser camera... I might as well go big!

Thanks for all the help!

oh one more question; hows this camera for close ups?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jared_bc

oh one more question; hows this camera for close ups?
While it won't magnify (you'll need a close up lens like the Hoya to do that), the super macro offers a 0mm focal point, which means the subject can be touching the lens. Careful with scratches though.

Here's an example. A poor one, it'll give you an idea. Uncropped (just resized). The blur is a result of the low lighting in the room. Like I said above, that's the only con with this camera that I have found so far.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

hmm I think I can live with it... it's an awesome looking camera. It will really put thing in perspective for people who can't image the places I've been.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:50 PM

For not much money you can get a digit rebel SLR.... anything less than a SLR is just a toy....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Whats the best buy for an SLR these days....

post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Noob_bc

... anything less than a SLR is just a toy....
Most people wouldn't agree with that statement, Noob.
Another good site to look at is www.dpreview.com , Jared
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

While an SLR might be the more "professional" way to go, there is NO WAY I would carry one with a bag full of lenses on a hike. You couldn't pay me to lug that stuff around. That's why I decided to get a more compact digital camera, with 12x optical zoom.

But that's just me.

dpreview is also a good site, but when it comes to specific details about the camera, I much prefer steves-digicams.

Check them both, Jared. They're by far the two best sites for camera review (imho).

Good luck!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 08:34 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Another very good camera review site (that happens to be based in Vancouver) is:

http://www.megapixel.net/

Hope this helps.

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 AM

I apologize for my statement earlier.... I realize that I consider my digital SLR one of my many toys....

And it is heavy with all the lenses (Although you really only need to take one lense when you are hiking)

And in answer to the best buy of a digital SLR, try the Nikon D50. Next up would be the Canon Rebel XT.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

I have a canon S400 and a full size SLR with an assortment of lenses. Before I bought the S400 I found that I was reluctant to take my SLR along unless I was specifically going somewhere to take photos. It's a great camera but none of that matters if you decide not to take it along. I take the little S400 absolutely everywhere and I take a lot more photos than I use too. For simple photos and basic trip recording, ths smaller camera can't be beat. Unless artisitc photography will be your main purpose, get the smaller camera.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page