Secret Evil Compound, Quarry Rd, Pitt Lake Hike - Page 40 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #586 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

I agree. If you want to turn widgeon into Stave, go ahead and open the SEC to the public.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #587 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:I agree. If you want to turn widgeon into Stave, go ahead and open the SEC to the public.
If that is what happens, so be it. But it is a public park and people deserve to have easier access to it - not everyone owns a boat or can take an extra day off for the hike in/out time.
post #588 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

You could have no access at all to wilderness areas and they would stay pristine. You could have very limited access to wilderness area and then only a few get to appreciate it. You can make it reasonably easy to get to wilderness areas and let a large number of people enjoy it. The easier the access the more people that can appreciate it with the downside that it will suffer the acutal use of the area with trail development, garbage, etc. that comes with that. There is no right or wrong in this.

I look at Garibaldi Park which has pretty good access trail wise although it requires a couple hour effort to reach the alpine and you have to consider is that good or bad? Its good as far as the number of people that get to appreciate it. But its also bad because of the number of people that get to appreciate it. You look at Lake Lovely Water and I would not propose a bridge to get to the trail head for that one. Its more wilderness and rightly so. But on the other hand people do risky things to get there or they have the expense of flying in. Robie Reid used to be boat access to trailhead but now there is road access near to it. I hope to try that trail in the near future, when before I wouldnt have considered Robie Reid as a destination. Same goes for Widgeon Lake. If trail access was better I would be much more likely to give it a go. Maybe I've become part of the unwashed masses but I hope not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #589 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.

Despite the difficulties in accessing Widgeon Lake, it seems to have developed a reputation amongst hooligans as a camping spot. Every time I go up, there's new garbage and garbage camping gear discarded around.
post #590 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WildernessMan

Quote:
quote:I agree. If you want to turn widgeon into Stave, go ahead and open the SEC to the public.
If that is what happens, so be it. But it is a public park and people deserve to have easier access to it - not everyone owns a boat or can take an extra day off for the hike in/out time.
Canoe rentals are (were) fairly cheap, and if you watch craigslist and garage sales you can buy one for cheap as well.

There are plenty of places that are easy to get to. Others aren't. Should every piece of land have a road within 50 ft so anyone can get there?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pro development. I just think there should also be a justifiable reason for it as well. And the argument that everyone is entitled to get everywhere isn't one. Should we pave a road into the heart of every park because it is public land? I don't think the USFS method of slowly closing every road is right either, but there has to be a balance. Want an easily accessible lake? Head up Burke to Monroe / Dennet. Or drive right in to the lakes in golden ears. Most of the beauty of Widgeon is the paddle in.
post #591 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:24 AM
RGB
Banned

Interesting thread. Mostly, but some junk that I just passed over. Last time I was at the SEC gate it was clear that I was not wanted, and it was locked and had high walls either side. But that was years ago. The thread is so long that things like access issues and film crew usage and ownership have changed many times over the years.

Good map at city of coquitlam site. Start at
http://www.coquitlam.ca/city-services/city-maps.aspx and read about what's on the Qthemap at http://gis.coquitlam.ca/apps/qthemap/
and Choose Basemap = Coquitlam Imagery 2012
and explore to check out what's along Quarry Road.
You can zoom in to 1:564, which should let you see the dogs, if any.
Where is the SEC gate, if any now? If the gate location was just past Munro Cr. as I think someone said, then there does not seem to be any gate there. But there's a black truck parked the far side of the bridge over the creek. And the gate could be a bit further up the road in the areas where trees cover the road and you can't see it.

You can toggle Map Contents to get land use, property ownership, at some levels the trail from the road up to Munro Lake. For ex., the property just past Munro Cr bridge is 4972 Quarry Rd.

You can also go back and select an earlier Coquitlam Imagery year: 2003, 2006, 2009.
I checked the 2003 and could not see a gate on the road near Munro Cr.
post #592 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

Anyone consider asking the owners if they can use the road to access Widgeon? I hear they're not so mean.
post #593 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

This is from a year ago now, there will be road access to Widgeon in the near future:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...2-69e5bbf5f324
post #594 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryl

This is from a year ago now, there will be road access to Widgeon in the near future:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...2-69e5bbf5f324
My take from the article is that there won't be a road there.

Quote from Bob Edward (the fellow who donated the land):

"If you see the area, you'd know why I'm doing what I'm doing. As far as I'm concerned, it will never be opened to the public as a drive-in place because if you do that, you have a big road and parking lot and garbage. It's not a nature reserve anymore. It's taken over by people. It'll be a go-by-boat place."
post #595 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Diggler View Post
The trail up Munroe creek is a little tricky to find.If you go up the north side of the creek and around the first corner you will see a large tree fallen across the creek.Near that point is an uphill slope with a 1 meter vertical face that you must climb to acces the begining of the trail.If you miss this you have to hike up the creek for 15 min. before the incline is reduced.The trail pretty much paralells Monroe creek till it vanishes half way up.

I am necroing this thread to suggest that instead of following this very dangerous path, you can enter the forest north-east of the creek and follow a lightly treaded path, around the right side of all those cliffs you see above the creek. Once you are on top of the cliff head west and you will find the old path(Still looks great in places) There are some signs of recent human visitation to this area. I am interested in visiting a spot directly north of the gate.(at 320m elevation) It looks intriguing on the qtthemap map.

Last edited by pr0ccy; 07-09-2018 at 10:27 PM.
post #596 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I'm bumping this thread again to try and generate interest in the area..... As far as I'm concerned, I'm legally allowed to use the road all the way up to Widgeon lake. I haven't pushed this especially lately they are filming up the road for another 3 months :S

I want to just start walking my dog up Quarry road. Things are a lot different now. Who is going to stop me, the Port of Metro Vancouver? Can anybody offer some insight?

Also, Munroe creek took some serious damage from the 2 big rainstorms recently. And at the nearby "old quarry site" west of Deiner creek, there is a washout that took out the trail.

I'm gonna hit up the trail again Sunday, heading from the quarry road gate, northwards up munroe creek, as far as I can, to respec the area.
post #597 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0ccy View Post
I'm bumping this thread again to try and generate interest in the area..... As far as I'm concerned, I'm legally allowed to use the road all the way up to Widgeon lake. I haven't pushed this especially lately they are filming up the road for another 3 months :S

I want to just start walking my dog up Quarry road. Things are a lot different now. Who is going to stop me, the Port of Metro Vancouver? Can anybody offer some insight?

Also, Munroe creek took some serious damage from the 2 big rainstorms recently. And at the nearby "old quarry site" west of Deiner creek, there is a washout that took out the trail.

I'm gonna hit up the trail again Sunday, heading from the quarry road gate, northwards up munroe creek, as far as I can, to respec the area.

And he was never heard from again....

Wait. NVM. He posted this. https://forums.clubtread.com/8-briti...-question.html

Guess he survived. And in a manner not needing a followup.

Or maybe he was brainwiped....

I never get lost. It's just that sometimes, I'm not sure where I am.
post #598 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:32 AM
Summit Master

20 pages and a decade and a half in, and I finally get to post this:
http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...l-park-reserve

Metro Vancouver has a draft management plan for Widgeon Marsh Regional Park reserve with an estimated opening date of 2023. Two parking lots (at the southern end) plus trail connections to Pinecone Burke Provincial Park.
post #599 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Adventure, mountain biking, paddling, trekking, hiking, history, bushwhacking, off-trail hiking...

I'm still alive.
post #600 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchicalo View Post
I'm still alive.
Good to see you drop in. You never know we may loose a few people to Covid-99

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page