2Likes
  • 1 Post By solo75
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2021, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking
Default Fragility of the human body

I guess I am about as old as Katie, in dog years.

While part of a large throng of folks watching grizz devour an elk in Yellowstone in September 2020, I slipped in unconsolidated gravel and came down on elbow, which transferred force to shoulder, which at the same time was receiving body weight from above.
Only moderate discomfort. I ignored it until the whole shoulder collapsed whilst swimming this past summer, leaving me one flipper to get back to dryland.
MRI showed massive damage, and surgeon picked up more while operating a week ago.
Lost the long head of the biceps tendon completely. Largish rotator cuff tear. And mucho long-term cartilage loss (probably both shoulders), for which I'll be receiving injections and anti-inflammatory meds rather than shoulder replacement.

In the wink of an eye, or less, prospects changed.

Stationary bicycling will be allowed during convalescence, so I plan to hit the exercise room and develop thighs like the Rock's.
Maybe try some one-armed swimming. Tough to give up a whole summer of plying Lake Michigan's inviting waves. 9 months to overhead anything.

JohnandKatie offer cheerful instruction in getting on with what one can do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2021, 11:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

How unfortunate especially if you are an active person. Almost all outdoor activity requires some movement of the shoulder. I've read about rotator cuff tears. It really affects a person's quality of life because of the pain which causes sleep disturbance etc. Hopefully, you will be at a point where your injury will improve when summer comes around so that you can go out on some hikes.
ColdBrook likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2021, 12:44 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBrook View Post

JohnandKatie offer cheerful instruction in getting on with what one can do!

And this is bottom line as we age. Keep going strong with what you can. Come up next summer to Banff. Rent a car and go driving on 1A, stop at these picnic areas in early evening & watch for wildlife. Or if you want afternoon by yourself by some lake nobody knows about, I'll send you there. Just keep going with your life. btw This is large issue with overall Covid handling in Canada; there is simply too much fear & people don't live their lives anymore. But this is whole different can of worms.

Huge cheers!
ColdBrook likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2021, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

Thank you, solo75 and zeljkok!
Was given pictures today at one-week follow-up. The rotator cuff tear (supraspinatus) was indeed violent, and exposed a lot of underlying structures.

Zeljkok, I originally had in mind to come up in May and repeat some of your spring hikes from this year (2021), which I devoured avidly, but September now seems the earliest.
I am somewhat opportunistic in activities. If I can't do a planned mountain hike to alpine on any particular day, there are still lowland forest hikes and animal watching on 1A to be had.

solo75, the pain is not too bad, in my case. Postop, I have eschewed the opiates and used acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain control, with an opiate used for breakout pain. Much easier on the body.
The whole thing is a shock.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page