Corona virus - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2021, 03:32 PM
Summit Master

There were rallies in AB too, and even some TV network hosts voicing opinions that government induced restrictions and lockdowns lead to rise of Totalitarianism. Ppl don't like to be told what to do, and education has little to do with it. But this is serious because it is enough 1 in 1000 doesn't listen & everybody pays for it, some with their lives.

3rd wave is not surprise because of Spring break. Imagine what would have happened if out of country travel restrictions were not put in place with all beach parties. There will be 4th and 5th and ... wave and more mutations, modified vaccines that become ineffective against next strain, etc etc. I'd like to be wrong, but I can't see the end anywhere in sight.

btw, as this is primarily outdoors forum, as it stands right now West Coast Trail will be open this summer, Jun 4 to Sep 30, with reservations starting on April 30. See here for more details

Last edited by zeljkok; 04-04-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2021, 05:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Ppl don't like to be told what to do, and education has little to do with it.
There will always be people who won't listen no matter what. The same goes with smokers who don't quit despite the risk of cancer. However, a lot of kids get their information about Covid-19 from social media which is the worst as far as disinformation is concerned. That certainly doesn't help. I've read that Canadian who source their info from social media were less likely to social distance and perceive Covid-19 as a threat.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2021, 05:06 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
a lot of kids get their information about Covid-19 from social media which is the worst as far as disinformation is concerned.

Amen to that. Social media is one of worst evils of modern society in general
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2021, 08:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
New restrictions will probably be put in place for BC. People are urged to remain within their own communities.
Yeah the extra sailings that BC Ferries added this past long weekend kind of baffles me.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2021, 08:38 PM
Summit Master

In AB they just announced rollback to Phase 1 of reopening; indoor dining banned again, fitness, retail back to 15% etc

https://globalnews.ca/news/7740377/a...-april-6-2021/
post #36 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2021, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

It boils down how governments balance economy and health; ... failing businesses, lost employment, mental health issues............versus .. serious ill health and death due to Covid.

Those who protest, i.e. anti-maskers, and flaunt safety guidelines are the ones who need real hammering in the head.............to bring this point across.

.. this would cut the case count, and hence less in closures of businesses and threat to people's lives and livelihoods

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #37 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2021, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

The 20-40 demographic is now responsible for the majority of new cases.
As John Horgan said "20% of the population is responsible for 80% of new cases." and this is frustrating as hell to those of us who are actually following Public Health advisories.

I think they should stop pu$$y-footing around and make them Public Health ORDERS.

It is easy to see WHO the problem is.

Take me onto a short pier...
post #38 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2021, 01:47 AM
Scaling New Heights

It's a slippery slope we're going down. Personally, I find the new travel restrictions baffling and somewhat revealing of the authorities' true intentions. Assuming Covid rates are roughly equal in different regions, it makes no difference if I sheepishly go down the road from my house to buy groceries and in doing so catch / spread Covid locally, versus me driving to Calgary to buy groceries and catching / spreading Covid there, BECAUSE IT'S ALREADY THERE. Statistically, it is exactly the same and makes no difference to overall Covid transmission. The "scary" purported new variants are all over the place now so the argument that travel restrictions are to prevent the spread of those variants doesn't make sense either, and authorities always have and still do allow "essential" foreign workers etc. to come into the country without quarantine. And now these new variants are somehow OUR fault?

We are being put under heavy handed authoritative travel lockdowns without any valid explanation of how that will prevent spread of the virus. The real reason is to spread fear, and to "punish" us for wanting to live like real humans, for something that isn't our fault and that from the very beginning has been atrociously mismanaged by authorities.

As far as small communities wanting to restrict travel to keep Covid out of their otherwise clean communities, for sure I understand the justification for that but that isn't what the government is coming down with. They are trying to prevent travel between Calgary and Vancouver. It's an attack on free society that pushes the boundaries of what is constitutionally legal, without any clear scientific justification for it, and what's worse, few people even seem to be demanding that the clear justifications be explained. Sorry Bonnie, you're going to have to do better.
dcc_028 likes this.

__________________________________________________ _

Bridge Valley to Lord River and Taseko Lakes

Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike

Last edited by Mark_BC; 04-20-2021 at 01:50 AM.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2021, 09:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
As far as small communities wanting to restrict travel to keep Covid out of their otherwise clean communities, for sure I understand the justification for that but that isn't what the government is coming down with.
The travel restriction rule needs to be more clearly defined. If I was visiting Wells Grey Park, I would just be heading to the campgrounds and not walking around Clearwater however the government wants people to not vacation outside their own community. So, how does that work for visiting Manning Park and other parks not near communities? I'll be just passing through Hope and don't even have to stop for gas as I can drive round trip without fueling.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2021, 11:15 AM
Scaling New Heights

Apparently it's still OK to go sit on Kits Beach as long as you maintain 3 m separation or whatever it is, but you're not allowed to go isolate yourself in a wilderness campground maintaining 10 m separation between campsites. All so that you can prevent spreading Covid to the trees which, by the way, can't catch Covid.

I suppose I could spread Covid at the gas station driving to the campsite. But how is that more likely than spreading it at Kits Beach?

post #41 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
The travel restriction rule needs to be more clearly defined.

That is exactly right. I don't think governments are imposing restrictions to 'spread fear' or 'limit constitutional rights' but focus should be on large crowd gatherings, not wearing mask violations etc, not restricting freedom of movement. But this could be seen coming long time ago. First you close international borders, then provincial borders, and now enclaves (or 'health regions'). Where do you draw the line?

Also, there is no clear definition of essential travel. Health and work? I live in AB but drive to Golden, BC for dental cleaning (cheaper). So if I get pulled with AB license plates in Golden am I going to get fined? Or you live in Kelowna and decide to go to Kits beach. You get pulled over in Vancouver. You say "I am visiting client in Vancouver for contract work". There is no paperwork or any kind of proof required. Thank you sir, proceed.

I read in Ontario they gave up because there was simply no resources to implement this in any meaningful way. Its just making thing worse, not better. Traffic jams, delays and more, not less, human interaction.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2021, 02:46 PM
Scaling New Heights

I understand that in Ontario they had to back down on the random police checks because the police refused to do it because it was against the law and it would have never held up. In BC they are phrasing it differently, suggesting that the random police checks are more like Counterattack drinking driving checkpoints. But they are the same thing as random road checks that got shot down in Ontario. The difference between Counterattack road checks and these ones, of course, is that if you drink and drive you are breaking the law and they are screening for that with a clear demonstrable benefit to public safety; whereas stopping you simply for driving your car (regardless if you are coming from a different health area) is not breaking the law and not endangering pubic safety.

Either way, I'm not sure if you get stopped that you are obligated to tell them about your purpose for travelling. If they issue you a ticket I'm pretty sure you could overturn it in court because they can't prove you weren't on essential travel.

post #43 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2021, 03:14 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post

Either way, I'm not sure if you get stopped that you are obligated to tell them about your purpose for travelling. If they issue you a ticket I'm pretty sure you could overturn it in court because they can't prove you weren't on essential travel.

Yeah, but this is slippery slope. Do you want to get yourself into this kinda of mess? And what if court wants proof of whatever you claim was travel purpose. etc etc. Locking horns with authorities is never a good thing in general.

When whole mask wearing thing started, someone told me if you got fined at grocery store for not wearing one, you could challenge it & eventually overturn in Supreme Court of Canada (can't remember on what ground). But it would cost $$$ and all the problems in between.

I think we all need to obey distancing, mask wearing and all other health authorities guidelines. But whole 'essential travel' is on shaky ground & not properly defined, as solo75 pointed out
post #44 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2021, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
The more unmoderated by some objective non-biased standard certain avenue is, the worse it will be. This is why social media is real misinformation dumpster as anyone can post whatever he/she wants.

Agreed about COVID long-term effects. Even vaccine is unknown factor at the moment. Think the best in near future at least is not to get infected in the first place.

Avoiding the virus will get more diffficult over time, and vaccinations are there with their own risks, but better than the effects of covid. The variants seem to be more dangerous and faster at spreading. Does not help when we get foolish people not wearing masks and congregating in large groups close at hand; ..protesting on infringement on their freedom.. and fun.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #45 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2021, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Here we are, three months later and the active cases and hospitalizations have decreased dramatically - all thanks to the vaccine(s).

Despite the conspiracy-theorists conspiracy theories, we are permitted to move about the Province and in many cases can go without masks. We haven't been "stripped of our rights". We haven't been injected with tracking devices. And we haven't been imprisoned in our own homes.
This was a GLOBAL pandemic that required harsh measures. Some may have been a bit heavy-handed, but the concern was always about overloading the healthcare system, to the point that it would fail. I have been tracking the numbers since May of 2020 and it was easy to connect the dots when it came to easing of restrictions, and a jump in cases especially the second wave of early February 2021. But since the end of April, there has been a marked decrease in the number of active cases, as well as hospitalizations.
Now, there will be a few upticks here and there as restrictions are further lifted, but I don't foresee a third wave.

Take me onto a short pier...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page