Corona virus - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

The vaccine is new as far as vaccines are concerned (mRNA) but the technology has been around since the 90's. It took a monstrous cash-infusion and the tireless efforts of the science-types around the world to fine-tune it. When you have that many minds working on the same thing and money is no object, things tend to happen although I wish the enthusiasm applied to many other modern-day plagues.
There is an interesting article from McGill University, if you consider them as unbiased of course.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...8RoAQ_-gvuQKf0

Take me onto a short pier...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 09:14 PM
Summit Master

I have no doubt McGill article is plausible.

But this is new thing. Two vaccines, Pfizer must be kept cold, Moderna doesn't. You need two shots within 10 days, then come back in six months. Now virus is mutating and already rumors that vaccine is not as effective against one of these mutations. Etc etc. Eventually vaccine will mature & become something like flu shot. But this ain't happening yet. Plus nobody really knows long term effects on lungs, or on the body -- even with vaccine induced antibody 'production'.

Only thing that is certain is that pharmaceutical companies stand to make piles of cash. But this is separate topic
post #18 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 09:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Two vaccines, Pfizer must be kept cold, Moderna doesn't. You need two shots within 10 days, then come back in six months.
The pfizer dose is one shot now then another 21 days later.
The moderna dose is one shot now then another 28 days later.
The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is set to be available in March (at least in the USA) and will be a one dose shot.
There is a slowdown is delivery of pfizer vaccine due to an international shortage. I figure I may have to wait until sept to get the first dose.

Quote:
Eventually vaccine will mature & become something like flu shot.
This might be the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 09:52 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
The pfizer dose is one shot now then another 21 days later.
The moderna dose is one shot now then another 28 days later.

Here are official Canada government pages on Pfizer and Moderna that confirm 2nd shot timeline; this I'd consider to be factual
post #20 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 12:48 AM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

I believe the second dosage date recommendation date was extended fairly recently due to the delay on receiving more product.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...-interval.html
post #21 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 09:36 PM
Summit Master

From a slightly different perspective:

Last yr about this time I was at Angkor Wat, Cambodia. Just when Covid news started to come out, flights were getting cancelled etc. So today for anniversary of my visit I looked up a bit on Internet, what happened there. Cambodian government imposed strict restrictions last summer; if you wanted to visit, you needed 3000 USD deposit on landing, negative tests, etc etc. Needless to say, Angkor got deserted and locals are the only visitors roaming these magnificent ruins.

You might say, travel is lesser problem when people are dying, but things are not so simple. Problem is that large amounts of locals depend on global tourism for survival; I had a chance to meet and talk to some of them. These are good people & now what? Same in countries like Nepal; no ICUs and tons of Covid cases, and no income of any sort because trekkers are gone. Someone I know emailed the other day "If I don't die of Covid, I will die of hunger". This is not Canada with CERB and all kinds of government support. So these that complain about being inconvenienced for having to wear masks -- or having to search for loopholes in order to go partying for spring break, really should know things are much much worse elsewhere.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

For the record, I wouldn't trust anything from J&J they can't even make baby powder safe!

post #23 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2021, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Here we are, four months later and BC has just surpassed the 100,000 mark. The third wave has begun.
Active cases continue to increase, especially in the 20 - 40 year old demographic, because as we all know they are invulnerable to everything and should be permitted to do whatever they want lest they throw a tantrum and burn a city.

Sorry for the rant but I watched the news last night about that party at Big White and it just grinds my gears. Here's 90% of the population adhering to the Provincial health orders, but a defiant renegade bunch of petulant children are making this drag on forever and ever.

post #24 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2021, 08:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

According to an article in the British Medical Journal, vaccines for Covid-19 will be needed for many years. While the current vaccines shows protection against the current variants, if there is considerable divergence of the SarsCoV-2 virus then vaccines will need to be adapted. Every time the virus mutates, it increases its infectivity.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2021, 08:22 PM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwalk View Post

Sorry for the rant but I watched the news last night about that party at Big White and it just grinds my gears. Here's 90% of the population adhering to the Provincial health orders, but a defiant renegade bunch of petulant children are making this drag on forever and ever.
Irritating and selfish of those partiers for sure and I suspect thereís quite a few of them that regret what they did now because, partially due to that party, Big White is now shutting 1 week early. A shame but a reality due to the situation and potential future of people coming from Vancouver to ski at the Big White because Whistler is closed. They can only screen online ticket purchases so much. Iím sure there was a little worry about more year end parties as well.

Iíve been pretty impressed by how compliant everyone has seemed to be in the lift lines and outdoor areas at Big White. Most seem to get it that if masks are needed to ski/board then thatís what theyíll do.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2021, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Truly very scary times; one of the seniors but not within the age bracket to qualify for an appointment for vaccination.

I am totally incensed by those large groups or parties not wearing masks, and dining very close together in large crowds, i.e. that incident in Skii resort north of Kamloops. I have no patience any of those deniers and who reject masks. THE BC Lockdown should have come sooner. Whistler Shut down, where infected people from Alberta, Quebec, and Ontario mixed in with many others. then we start hearing of infection centers in Rossland, B.C. originating from a person who was at Whistler.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #27 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2021, 08:52 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwalk View Post

Here's 90% of the population adhering to the Provincial health orders, but a defiant renegade bunch of petulant children are making this drag on forever and ever.

That was, and will always be the case; not just in BC and not just in case pandemic, but everything. Vast majority plays by the rules, but pays for minority that has no concern for anyone but their own agenda. Trailhead car break-ins, Squamish Gondola vandalism, etc etc. Carrot doesn't help here, only the stick, and a long one at that. Sometimes there is too much so called democracy in western culture

That being said, there are also very responsible examples in so called 'problem age group'. The other day I sold piece of furniture I didn't need anymore. Posted online, young couple late 20's responded. Showed up to see it, both wearing masks. This is small town with just a handful or cases & I told them they don't have to wear mask as far as I am concerned. But they did the whole time; we just bumped elbows at the end.

Last edited by zeljkok; 04-01-2021 at 08:56 PM.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2021, 09:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
Truly very scary times; one of the seniors but not within the age bracket to qualify for an appointment for vaccination.
K
If you are a senior then you should be due April or May according to Health Canada website but this depends on available supplies.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2021, 12:59 AM
Summit Master

I am not 100% convinced getting vaccinated is good idea for everyone, at least not right now.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2021, 11:08 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Looks like a third wave of Covid-19 is hitting Canada with a large portion fueled by the UK variant and is affecting younger people. Different vaccines have variable effects on the variants. I read an article in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) that mentions the urgency of global vaccinations to everyone to prevent new divergent variant strains from emerging as this will spur on the pandemic for years. According to the BMJ, the mortality rate is higher with the UK variant when compared to the original strain & it appears to be the case in Canada for younger people. The mutations in the spike protein of different variants makes it possible for the virus to evade the immune protection from some people. It also makes antibodies less effective.
New restrictions will probably be put in place for BC. People are urged to remain within their own communities. I see that BC Parks have reopened for this summer camping season already even though spring has just begun. The campsites up Chilliwack Valley is packed solid. Chilliwack had some of the highest infection rates (per 100,000) in the province and a few days ago people had an unmasked rally in Chilliwack in defiance of the Covid-19 restrictions. People need to be more educated on the seriousness of this pandemic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page