Doin it for the 'Gram! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Doin it for the 'Gram!

A really interesting article on the effects of social media on nature. Joffre is highlighted, but lots of other insights too.

Makes you wonder....

https://beside.media/dossier/spoils-...-on-instagram/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thought provoking. Joffre was a an early rough and tough push through the bush when we first went there in 1974. There was no park, the road was a gravel industrial FSR used sparingly to get to Lillooet and the trail? It was a thick, brushy mountaineers' goat path that took a 1/2 day to reach the third lake. I still love the place but it has turned into a museum piece, kind of a living post card for all the 'Gram crowd.

When we drove past the Joffre lot last monday, seeing over 100 cars, shuttle busses and lord knows how many people, we were delighted knowing we were heading elsewhere. 25 minutes later we parked our SUV as far up Blowdown FSR as we could go and hiked up to the lake and Gotcha peak. We didn't see one other person the whole day. So, for those of us that get out there for reasons other than the 'Gram, I guess there is still much to be thankful for.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:34 AM
Summit Master

To me Social Media is one of ultimate stupidities of modern society. I know someone who talks to his wife sitting on couch next to him in their living room via FB, both staring at their respective smartphones (and "friends" reading this giving likes). But Social Media is not real reason why Joffre and similar places are getting destroyed. It is rather exponential population growth, which can be linked to every other problem this world has, from climate to pipelines to economy/employment etc. Irony is that resources are being spent on AI efforts, "big data", "smart" devices (oh Alexa), VR, self-driving cars and similar nonsense while the planet that is feeding us all is crumbling and everyone turns away from the problem.

I am sad about Joffre though. It is fantastic place. I hiked there again early June this year, it was rainy so crowds were reasonably thin and it was oh so beautiful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

I'm not sure overpopulation is the main issue when it comes to the link between social media and nature. Agreed, there's obviously more people everywhere all the time, but they only start coming in hoards to places like Joffre and many other locations around the world after they have seen pics and been exposed through social media. There's a conformity aspect to it that has more to do with the nature of humans than the number of humans.

A couple things that stood out to me was the extent that people will go for a picture- trespassing on private land and ruining crops etc... It's really rude, and just for a pic that's been done a million times.

I also like the "youdidnotsleepthere" movement, or whatever you call it. I heard of it a while ago, but this article reminded me of it. The general idea of exposing phony and/or selfishly motivated outdoor experiences is a good one.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

My daughter asked me to take her to Joffre Lakes because she saw it on Instagram. If it hadn't been for Instagram I never would have gotten her to a place like that. We waited in line at the log for photos. It was a very positive experience for her and for me. I give thanks to Instagram. This is the future. Embrace it.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:24 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman610 View Post
My daughter asked me to take her to Joffre Lakes because she saw it on Instagram. If it hadn't been for Instagram I never would have gotten her to a place like that. We waited in line at the log for photos. It was a very positive experience for her and for me. I give thanks to Instagram. This is the future. Embrace it.
The 'Gram etc, it's not all bad. It just gets that way when pressures on sensitive, beautiful places become this intense. Having worked along the BC coast all the way to Alaska and the Yukon, as a forester, I can say the coast of BC has many places as lovely as Joffre. However, they are nearly impossible for almost all of us to get to. There's the rub. There's very few readily accessible 5-star places close to the lower mainland.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:47 AM
Summit Master

I don't think this is about FB vs 'gram' vs Twitter vs ... (make your pick). It is rather about general social media phenomenon. In that sense I disagree with Tinman; it is not future, it is already here. One platform goes out of fashion (like FB is now slowly dying), another becomes 'hot' but that is just the form; common thread is life online, shopping/working/dating/hiking/....

I think, if humanity manages to survive, this era we are living in will be regarded, and maybe taught in history classes, as dawn of human/machine integration. Sounds like sci-fi but then I was growing up watching black and white tv with rabbit ears antenna. Wireless technologies, smartphones etc etc were equally far fetched Star trek realm.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page