How Much for ClubTread? - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
It would take a lot of time to migrate the site to new hosting infrastructure / software; time that is better spent outside.

I say cut our losses, start a new site. We could have a thread listing favourite old TRs that deserve to be preserved (with links to old CT) and members could take up the task of repeating them to create a new TR with up-to-date beta on the routes. It would be fun!

That, and we could also have lively discussions on oil tankers and tar sands, lol.

Yes, this. Plus, the site still works. People still post. Maybe not as much as in the past but the site still works! So there's gun advertisements which can be blocked with simple adblocker. I really don't see this as a desperate issue for any of us. There is no indication that the site will be disappearing / dead / shut down any time soon.

And if it were suddenly unusable or disappeared, there's always Bivouac
alpalmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Banned

I don't understand what all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is about...
I've been a member of another forum over at Proboards for over 10 years now.

It's web-based, customizeable, and FREE.
Ads are easily and effectively blocked with any third-party ad blocker. If I was to start a forum, I would look to something along those lines...but that's just me.
alpalmer likes this.
post #48 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I would be very sad to see this place disappear. I used to come here every week and read. Haven't been here in far too long. (Don't ask -- auto accident. Car totaled. Plans for the visit to the Rockies I promised myself when I beat the Big C went down the drain. Was planning on becoming a Barn Hunt Judge -- that's gone, too.)

Since I cannot now even hope to hike the mountains on my own, this place is a treasure to read and enjoy and dream.
martin, guntis, howesound and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynx View Post
Since I cannot now even hope to hike the mountains on my own, this place is a treasure to read and enjoy and dream.
You said it. Many of us can't hike for some reason or other. We need to escape, even if it's only through CT.

Barn Hunt, now that is something I haven't heard of. A friend of mine has some rat terriers and wow you should see them at work.
guntis and alpalmer like this.
post #50 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Barn hunt! I didn't know what that was and had to look it up. Love it! My imagination is giving me all sorts of entertaining ferocious images.
post #51 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:11 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Softball, Poker

How many TR's are there?
post #52 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:37 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
You said it. Many of us can't hike for some reason or other. We need to escape, even if it's only through CT.
Exactly. Plus, I love mountains, and there aren't much in the way of mountains in south Louisiana. My house is on some of the highest ground in the area -- a whopping FIVE FEET above sea level!

Quote:
Barn Hunt, now that is something I haven't heard of. A friend of mine has some rat terriers and wow you should see them at work.
Barn Hunt is a relatively new dog sport. Enclosed area. Dog runs "naked," ie, without collar or harness, and handler may not touch the dog during the run except for praise. A mock barn is built, including tunnels and climbs, out of straw bales. At the Master level, which my Standard Longhaired Dachshund competes in, the course is a minimum of 24' x 24' and 3 bales high. Real rats are hidden in safety tubes (rats are not harmed). Again, at the master level, there are a random number of rats, from 1-5. I don't know how many there are, nor do I know where they are hidden. Master Harper has 4.5 minutes to search the course, find and indicate the rats, do a tunnel and a climb, and then tell me, "Hey, Missy, I found them all!" so that I can call "Clear!" In Alberta, where pet rats are illegal, I believe they use gerbils. You can go to www.barnhunt.com for more info. My Boy is the first standard Dachshund in the US and Canada to achieve the Barn Hunt Master Champion title. We got started in it the morning I had just staggered out to the computer, hadn't even had a cup of tea yet, and Harper came dancing in to present me with the still-warm body of a wild rat which he'd caught. He and his Beagle have also presented me with opossums, squirrels, and more rats. (Babette Beagle does not care for Barn Hunt. She says, "Meh. You won't let me eat it if I find it, so what's the point?" Harper says, "I find 'em, and then Missy gives me super tasty treats, like pemmican."

To be a Barn Hunt Judge, I have to design courses, and be able to stay on my feet for at least 8 hours a day. I'd worked my way back to that ability after beating the Big C -- and now, thanks to the auto accident, I'm good for maybe 15 minutes. Good thing a run is only 4.5 minutes!
post #53 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:50 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
Barn hunt! I didn't know what that was and had to look it up. Love it! My imagination is giving me all sorts of entertaining ferocious images.
The ratties are not harmed in the sport -- in fact, many of the ratties figure out real quick that the dogs can't touch them in their tubes and sit in the tubes going, "Nah, nah, can't TOUCH me!" at the dogs. I do BH practices, and had one rat who at age 3.5 (most rats live to 2-2.5) demanded to go out in the tubes to tease the dogs.

I should note that there are also, in addition to the rats in tubes, tubes which contain used rat litter hidden on the course, so the dog must distinguish between a litter tube (ie, an unoccupied rats' nest) versus a nest with live rats in it.

One of Harper's best runs was his 7th RATCHX run. He had five rats. Take note of how he makes it a point to search the entire enclosure, although I did have to bring him back to one spot because he did not give me a clear indication of a rat.

Here:
I should note that my husband is NOT a videographer.

I must also note that although this is stylized and the rats are not harmed, it makes good training for a traditional ratter's job -- and Harper does a great job of dealing with the wild rats which venture onto our property, as we are only six blocks from the Mississippi River, and rats often come ashore from the ships in the River.

Last edited by Marilynx; 01-25-2019 at 05:53 AM.
post #54 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:44 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking (slow!), visiting out of the way places, writing, canoeing, and fueling my sweet tooth

Rarely on CT anymore due to the frustrating glitches and changes in the site since the takeover by VS or whatever their name is. This is actually the first time I've been able to log into my account in 2 years. The site wouldn't accept my existing password or let me re-set my password for so long :0 So I've come on as a guest every 6 mths. or so but always found the site too clunky and lacking in the diversity of members that we used to see here. Oh yeah, and as others have said, there's the ads! - they even cover up some of the content that I'd like to read, arrgh.
Many of the CT originals and long term members have long since migrated to other sites, mostly FB linked. But with the backlash against FB, a re-vamped CT would be quite alluring, whether effected by a buyer or a non-profit model, etc. The ideas presented in this discussion are really interesting! Like many a remaining CT hopeful, I have neither the technical know how nor the time to 'fix' CT. But I'm open to the paypal donation idea, maybe a 'Save CT' GofundMe campaign ;D Finding this topic gives me a glimmer of hope
alpalmer likes this.
post #55 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I like the way you think. Make Clubtread Great Again!!!

#MCGA !!
alpalmer likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page