How Much for ClubTread? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Agreed 100% with what Candy said.

Fact that CT survived such a long time is testimony of strong backbone built by volunteers, mostly in TR Forums. It pisses me off it is finally going to break now, and these "shoot the wolfie" gun adds felt like pissing on the death bed of sick old man.

The only way of survival is 'wikipedia' model -- pure non-profit, volunteer run with none of "monetize the website" crap, with costs covered by PayPal donations. Even in course of this thread someone mentioned about being ok with chipping in few bucks every year -- say 5 CAD x 500 ppl annually --> more than enough to pay for web hosting etc. But first you have to take it away from VS hands, and I don't think single person between us users that still come here would be willing to take this kind of financial hit / overall risk.
KARVITK and kellymcdonald78 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

I suspect much of the cost would related to how much effort it would be to disaggregate the content from VS infrastructure and move the domain to whomever took it over. I can't see there being a lot of ad revenue being generated from the site and how well they are covering infrastructure and hosting costs. I'd hope they are tracking metrics on their individual properties regarding revenue vs costs so it would be an easy exercise to figure out the impact of Club Tread to the bottom line
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

The amount of user online has dropped considerably since last year as less members and guests show interest in CT. Aside from adverts, awkward photo uploads etc., let's not forget that part of the problem has also been some older members have discouraged newer members (eg. Chris S.) from posting TRs with their comments. So there is probably reluctance for new members to post TRs.
Tenderfoot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:17 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I am confused why there is such a lack of quality TRs on the website, as the viewership still appears to be there. My trip reports from the summer got almost 2000 hits, which shows that there are is still a demand for a good read. Overall, a few small changes to this site could get people coming back, but for whatever reason people will stick to posting quick reports to facebook and instagram that takes five minutes.. Hopefully the tech gets updated, and the site stays together. Would be nice to have everyone lurking here posting more reports!
Tenderfoot and treord8 like this.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
I am confused why there is such a lack of quality TRs on the website, as the viewership still appears to be there. My trip reports from the summer got almost 2000 hits, which shows that there are is still a demand for a good read.

Because of alienation on personal level from the way how Forum is run and what it has become (adds, overall lack of care, etc.) People still browse when they have nothing better to do during lunch break at work, but when you are not "into it" you don't feel the need to contribute. As simple as that.

I am pretty sure all these long time users that built the site still read reports, probably as "guests". Most of them would also return as active contributors with the right type of change.
Rachelo and Tenderfoot like this.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
let's not forget that part of the problem has also been some older members have discouraged newer members (eg. Chris S.) from posting TRs with their comments. So there is probably reluctance for new members to post TRs.

Yes; that is certainly the factor but again not the main problem. To me Chris S. example was more about management doing nothing to address what happened and acting upon it. They probably didn't even know.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Twenty years ago I came back to the lower mainland and my passion for our local mountains was re-ignited. I joined Club tread but due to my lack of tech savvy messed up my email or password, got frustrated and became a lurker I guess. I have used this excellent forum for all my research via others trip reports, It has been so useful to me. Obscure local hikes and peaks, particularly in the Forbidden Zone where information is guarded. I got a new computer and now I'm in. Not sure of the politics at the top of CT but I see a lot of passion in the members, this sport is definitely something you really must love to do, must "have" to do. There's too much suffering otherwise! "Conquistadors of the Useless" ,that's how the great Lionel Terray summed up his fabled mountain climbing career. So for lesser folks like me that love the art of negotiating mountain adventure, Club Tread has been my go to. I hope all the problems get sorted and thanks to you all for allowing me to use this site for a lot of excellent info. I have ad block, I don't see any advertising but anything to do with guns doesn't seem to be the sort of thing anyone here is interested in..
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
I'd love to see CT owned by people passionate about the outdoors and who aren't solely motivated by profit. I guess you'll have to make Vertical Scope an offer, Zeljkok! When you look at the VS website, the users of their forums are merely seen as a consumer audience. That's a major turn-off for me, as I'm sure it has been for others. The US based gun-ads in particular have made me not want to associate with the CT brand. I have even started to edit some of my old TR's.

I think in the right hands CT could thrive again. It's crazy to think that it lasted around 15 years in an ever changing digital world though! That's a pretty good run.

In the meantime:
I had become so disillusioned with CT that I deleted every one of my posts and that got me banned for three months. I didn't want my TR's on a site that condoned hunting and had ads on every one of my pictures. The admins couldn't care less about this site, so why should I. I asked for a few features to make adding tr's easier, like it was when Jim owned it, but I was told that they couldn't. This is not the same site that I signed up for in 2009 so I should have had the option of deleting my posts without being banned.
Rachelo and Trail Talk like this.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

I've never heard of banning for deleting one's own posts, I've done the same on other sites without retribution. Would you mind posting the communication you received?

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Deleting ones own posts is not the answer; you didn't hurt the owners because they don't care. You only hurt other users that still come here and further contribute to site destruction.
martin, Spectrum and alpalmer like this.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:51 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Talk View Post
I've never heard of banning for deleting one's own posts, I've done the same on other sites without retribution. Would you mind posting the communication you received?
I don’t have the message anymore but it went something like this “ you have been banned for three months due to conduct detrimental to Club Tread”. Funny thing that three months later I log in and there’s a message saying “you haven’t posted anything for three months and we miss you” lol
Also, somehow most of the 1200 tr’s and comments have been re-inserted. Someone has the time to re-insert all those posts but doesn’t have the time to fix what’s wrong with this site.
martin, Rachelo, alpalmer and 2 others like this.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 04:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I had become so disillusioned with CT that I deleted every one of my posts and that got me banned for three months. I didn't want my TR's on a site that condoned hunting and had ads on every one of my pictures. The admins couldn't care less about this site, so why should I. I asked for a few features to make adding tr's easier, like it was when Jim owned it, but I was told that they couldn't. This is not the same site that I signed up for in 2009 so I should have had the option of deleting my posts without being banned.
Your frustration is widely felt but those posts, the TR's, they are the value of CT to us but to VS it's really just a 'click' magnet and it matters not who does the clicking. VS shows little interest in being anything other than that even if repugnant gun ads are a price we all pay. I've noticed similar trends on other outdoor sites, including 4X4 jeep sites

At the end of the day the VS version of CT is very clumsy to engage with and so fewer of us do that. Compared to the quick and easy, drag/drop world of Social media CT is a non-starter so it has to change or we'll lose it.

post #28 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I half expect every day some type of announcement "With regret we inform you that CT is ceasing to exist on <month><day>". In corporate world cuts frequently happen just before end of year because of budgeting etc (Merry Christmas!). CT and in wider context, entire business model based on Internet milking via viglinks, gun adds and who knows what else can never be successful - main reason being that you have alienated the very same amateur user base that once built it -- as it is more than evident.

But once again -- deleting or editing ones own posts to meaningless 3 characters is exactly the worst thing one can do. First you haven't deleted anything - original version is still available via either thread history or backups or something else. Second, you didn't hurt VS. They don't care. You only hurt that little of us left that still come here and have passion for the forum. Third - you also hurt yourself because you attempted to destroy significant part of your own memories. You don't quit hiking just because clouds are on the horizon. Nothing in the world is permanent and change always happens.
alpalmer likes this.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 12:59 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Great thread @zeljkok! I've long thought rescuing CT in this way would be wonderful. I think the lfgss.com site is a really good example of a nonprofit forum that works. There's a thread at https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/289326/ on running costs, although lfgss is much much bigger than CT But Dru is right, too: time is a major factor - it takes someone with the right skills and enough time to administer it.

> Isn't the content (Forums, etc) proprietary?

Of course the content is the only thing worth saving from this site, and I think you are right, AFAICT it is owned by VS (https://www.verticalscope.com/aboutu...=clubtread.com). If you get an answer I would be glad to contribute something.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Headed for the Mountains

It would be easier to just start a new forum from scratch, supported by its members and with an improved UI.

If this garners enough interest then you can look to buy the content from VS and migrate it over, but this would require considerable time, effort, and skill, and the likelihood of it happening is low.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page