What's it like living in the Yukon? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What kind of work are you hoping to do up there if you move? Most of the jobs are either gov't jobs or resource industry jobs. I was heavily considering going north to teach but have since changed my mind. The idea still is very enticing to me but there are too many problems in the schools to deal with. The money is great if you work there though. Typically you can get a Northern Allowance if you get a gov't job which subsidizes your living expenses and you may also get a free trip back home once a year. Living expenses are very high and so is property and rent. I don't know how it is in the bigger towns but in Inuvik they only got vegetables and fruits after they were well passed their prime.
Sourdough, could you please elaborate on "school problems"? I am considering moving as well, and have an elementary school aged child. thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 02:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post
Sourdough, could you please elaborate on "school problems"? I am considering moving as well, and have an elementary school aged child. thanks in advance!
You do realize that this thread is from 12 years ago, and sourdough hasn't been here in almost a decade?
kellymcdonald78 likes this.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Not decide this

No topsoil, trees, mountains, etc. No privacy. Like on the prairies. Don't get sick. Land prices in lower Mainland will double while you are away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

This thread is killing me lol.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Off the Beaten Path

My stepson and family live in Haines Junction, and love it. We have visited multiple times. Close knit community, lots of people in their 30s - 40s with young kids, not much to miss about Vancouver unless you need fresh veggies on a daily basis. You are right in Kluane National Park. Outdoor opportunities are endless.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

I liked Haines Junction because it is nicely situated near the mountains. At the time when I was there, a grocery store didn't exist so people had to drive all the way to Whitehorse to shop. One thing I didn't like about the Yukon is that half the roads are dirt/gravel; extremely dusty when dry and muddy and slippery when wet.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Because its boring!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page