totally unrelated drycleaning rant - Page 6 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Spidergirl

Jeans are hands down the worst. If I can get them over my ass & hips there's 6 inches gaping around my waist.
Yes, yes, OMG yes!!! And it isn't just jeans. It's dress pants, and also any kind of pants in MEC. Didn't the manufacturers take a look at how women are shaped?? We go IN at the waist, and OUT at the hips. I don't need a waist band that's a hula hoop. Having a belt doesn't help much if the waist is too big either, since it just bunches it up. First one that figures this out gets my money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

You could always wear a skirt []if your pants don't fit.
post #78 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Here's the official answer the the deoderant thing:

We can assure you that the prices for all of our products are set based on
the cost of the ingredients and packaging for each product. The LADY SPEED
STICK formula contains several ingredients not found in the men's product,
to provide additional benefits such as smoother application of the product
and a softer perfume.

Sounds a lot like the drycleaner's explanation of "we take special care."

----------------------------------------
The Mountains are calling and I must go. ~John Muir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, mountaineering, snowshoeing, snowboarding, AT skiing

After reading 4 pages on this thread, all I can say is, thank God for the Y chromosome. [^]

"Hope for the best; plan for the worst"
post #80 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by threeprime

After reading 4 pages on this thread, all I can say is, thank God for the Y chromosome. [^]
I hope we didn't bore you too much. But at least you get cheaper drycleaning and more deoderant per stick
post #81 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Spidergirl

Here's the official answer the the deoderant thing:

We can assure you that the prices for all of our products are set based on
the cost of the ingredients and packaging for each product. The LADY SPEED
STICK formula contains several ingredients not found in the men's product,
to provide additional benefits such as smoother application of the product
and a softer perfume.

Sounds a lot like the drycleaner's explanation of "we take special care."
We could just buy the men's and foil their efforts to get more money out of us. I have no particular use for "smoother application". What do they give the men? A product that goes on roughly?
post #82 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

It's all about the perfume...do you want to smell like a man, or alternatively, a cheap woman, cause you bought the bargain deodorant?
post #83 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

We could just buy the men's and foil their efforts to get more money out of us. I have no particular use for "smoother application". What do they give the men? A product that goes on roughly?
Yup. Chicks dig that.[8D]
post #84 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

It's all about the perfume...do you want to smell like a man, or alternatively, a cheap woman, cause you bought the bargain deodorant?
Neither....I get the unscented stuff since I get all kinds of allergies. That should cost less, right?
I'm just kidding around. I don't really worry about getting a few grams less in a stick of deoderant.

post #85 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

trust me... I've tried. I couldn't care less about 'smoother application' and girly scents. But the men's stuff just doesn't work as well for me.

The Mountains are calling and I must go. ~John Muir
post #86 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hikingbikingyogastudyingarcticdogswatersportssnowshoeing

I only use men's deodorant. The first reason is it is very hard to find women's 'deodorant', us girls get sold 'antiperspirant' (which is full of nasty chemicals that clog your pores and can lead to lymph gland troubles). I had this problem and so I made a concerted effort to find a women's deodorant, and that is when I found that it is quite rare.

I am quite happy to smell 'active fresh', 'musky', or like 'Northern Ice!

'Speed Stick Protection with Powerful Scents Inspired by the Forces of Nature'

I think that is pretty cool.
post #87 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Why are 'girly' scents and smooth applications rammed down our throats?
Are these products designed by MEN, or unrealistic women?
The names of some of these deodrants crack me up, "Secret"... like, really Im normal, (I think), do I really need to keep it a secret I use deodrant?
as for the scented stuff, well the baby powder scents make me think of diapers for some reason. Having changed enough diapers now the scent has a different meaning for me...(dont get me wrong, I love that baby smell, but it belongs on babies)

I like the unscented stuff, but as Wilderness seeker said, why doesnt that cost less?????

Funny, with all this girly stuff, I find most of my friends more like myself, they just dont care for all these products, marketing... sigh [V]
post #88 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shadee
Funny, with all this girly stuff, I find most of my friends more like myself, they just dont care for all these products, marketing... sigh [V]
That's because we're hiker chicks!!
post #89 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Red

I just read this on the Globe and Mail website and it made me think of this thread. I hope it gets passed.

Why do women always pay more?
By ALLISON DUNFIELD

Globe and Mail Update

An Ontario politician is trying to change what he feels are unfairly high prices paid by women for hairdressing, dry cleaning and clothing.

Lorenzo Berardinetti, a backbench MPP for the governing Liberal party, has introduced a private members' bill in the Ontario legislature that, if passed, would mean men and women would pay more similar prices for these types of goods and services.

He said he feels the current situation, which means women often pay far higher prices for things like hair cuts, is unfair.

”My wife brought it to my attention, and we noticed it when we went to the dry cleaners and ... when we went out to buy some clothing it made a big difference as well.”

Bill 182, which had its first reading in the legislature on March 9, is up for debate on April 14.

Mr. Berardinetti said he's fairly confident the bill will pass, although it is a private members' bill. (Private members' bills rarely become law).

"I am [hopeful]." If enacted, the law would mean if people thought they were being unfairly targeted for these services because of their gender, they would be able to file a complaint to the Human Rights Commission under the Human Rights code and in the Superior Court of Justice, Mr. Berardinetti said.

The bill also says those who are found guilty of breaking the law, if convicted, would be liable to a fine of $2,000 for a first offence and up to $5,000 for a subsequent offence.

Mr. Berardinetti said he's looked at other jurisdictions, such as in California, which has already enacted a similar law in 1996. Another state, Massachusetts, has the Public Accommodations Act, which ensures fair gender-based pricing for hair and other cosmetology services.

A 1994 study by the California Assembly Office of Research looked at five major cities in that state. It found that 40 per cent of hairdressing salons charged women more for a hair cut than men. It also found that 64 per cent of drycleaners charged more to clean a woman's shirt than a man's shirt.

Similar surveys with similar results have been conducted in New York City and Washington, D.C.

No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves -- Amelia Earhart
post #90 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Summit Master

I saw that too, and remembered this thread. Only the version I read said that the official line from some deoderant company was that the reason women get less deoderant in a stick for the same price is that "Men have bigger armpits." Hey, I thought they said it was the scents!! Anyway, does anyone else see the faulty logic here? If men have bigger armpits, they should simply have to buy (and pay for) more of it, right? Women go through toilet paper faster than men, but you don't see them producing larger rolls for women at the same price as smaller rolls for men!!

(If anyone thinks I'm taking this too seriously - I'm not, honest, I'm just poking fun at their excuses).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page