LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking
Default MEC CEO interview on BNN

https://t.co/x1NE4KV15y
More stores in Alberta, Ontario
Bigger stores
I wonder how long til they carry snowmobile gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 01:29 AM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

I went in to the main Vancouver store for the first time in a few months, last week. Another merchandise reshuffling. More worthless fashion clothes front-and-center, technical gear buried at the back of the store. Took me forever to find where they'd hidden the Nikwax, beside the clearance rack. Oh, and they're showcasing Jeans right now.

Showcasing blue jeans. At MEC.

That is all.
Rachelo, Whyte_Lake, adm and 3 others like this.

_
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:13 AM
Summit Master

soon to be MECabela's, I made this up right here, Nov 2016, it may happen, or WholesalesportsMECBela'sCanTireSphere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

I've been a member for 30 years but the way they are evolving I'd suggest that non-profit status be withdrawn.
seawallrunner, Ryl and 61146 like this.

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

in vancouver they have downhill ski gear now. skis, boots, bindings.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I'm not sure what their product selection has to do with non-profit status.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Talk View Post
I've been a member for 30 years but the way they are evolving I'd suggest that non-profit status be withdrawn.
MEC is a co-op, as opposed to a not-for-profit. A co-op shares profits with its members, a not-for-profit must balance revenues and expenditures in a given fiscal year, with a small carry over allowed for potential future deficits.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Your absolutely right, thanks for the correction. Their co-op status isn't being applied ethically IMO with the current expansionist agenda, both in new products and markets. As a shareholder, I'd gladly accept more dividends than another outlet or shiny new building or racks of discounted clothing at end of season. Re-investment in product research, more sizing choices instead of less, and better quality of inhouse brand would also suit more than expansionism. I feel they are suffering from a serious case of CEO disease where bigger means better compensation. Witness they've alreadt rigged the board selection process to weed out grass roots candidates. The stores feel like supermarkets nowadays and it just doesn't feel authentic or comfortable. I used to defend them when others accused MEC of predatory behavior against locally-owned shops, but I can't muster the enthusiasm any longer and find myself visiting those shops more. Sorry for the rant, just the assumption that bigger means better is such a trigger, especially for a member-owned co-op.
Ryl and 61146 like this.

Trail Talk
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 02:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Talk View Post
Your absolutely right, thanks for the correction. Their co-op status isn't being applied ethically IMO with the current expansionist agenda, both in new products and markets. As a shareholder, I'd gladly accept more dividends than another outlet or shiny new building or racks of discounted clothing at end of season. Re-investment in product research, more sizing choices instead of less, and better quality of inhouse brand would also suit more than expansionism. I feel they are suffering from a serious case of CEO disease where bigger means better compensation. Witness they've alreadt rigged the board selection process to weed out grass roots candidates. The stores feel like supermarkets nowadays and it just doesn't feel authentic or comfortable. I used to defend them when others accused MEC of predatory behavior against locally-owned shops, but I can't muster the enthusiasm any longer and find myself visiting those shops more. Sorry for the rant, just the assumption that bigger means better is such a trigger, especially for a member-owned co-op.
Unfortunately, this article is for subscribers only but the summary is that the rules are better this year. Expect to see one or more grass roots candidates on the ballot.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle32383675/
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Headed for the Mountains

How big of them ;-)

Trail Talk
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 10:25 AM
Headed for the Mountains

MEC had started to lose it with me when they went away from the original logo. That was far more telling than simply deviating to some new pitiful graphic design. I have no doubt they muse about how to expunge the "M"-mountain-in their brand now.

MEC's offering of "mec" branded clothing is embarrassing (meaning there's too much of it) and is of inferior quality. It's gotten to the point now where I don't even consider the stuff that sports that logo. Additionally, the name brand stuff selection is limited to say the least, no doubt due to MEC wishing to flaunt their own gear. I will say this, the one thing they DO have going for 'em is how they back manufacturers warranties and the ease of returning defective gear. IF that were ever to change my visits to the Calgary store would become rare indeed.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoes View Post
MEC had started to lose it with me when they went away from the original logo. That was far more telling than simply deviating to some new pitiful graphic design. I have no doubt they muse about how to expunge the "M"-mountain-in their brand now.

MEC's offering of "mec" branded clothing is embarrassing (meaning there's too much of it) and is of inferior quality. It's gotten to the point now where I don't even consider the stuff that sports that logo. Additionally, the name brand stuff selection is limited to say the least, no doubt due to MEC wishing to flaunt their own gear. I will say this, the one thing they DO have going for 'em is how they back manufacturers warranties and the ease of returning defective gear. IF that were ever to change my visits to the Calgary store would become rare indeed.
It seemed to me that it was a very very clear sign that they wanted to distance themselves from the words "Mountain", and "Co-op", and make people think of them as simply a one-syllable brand that doesn't stand for anything. (The way the YMCA now often brands themselves as the "Y", and never spells out the initialism to distance themselves from implications that they are for "Men" or "Christians".) Deleting the mountain picture was a very final and obvious step away from any focus on the mountains, let alone backcountry. They also very tellingly went from standarldly having small logos on the sides of shirts or in other unobtrusive places to slapping the big square right on the breast - and printed, of course, instead of sewn or embroidered.
I think it was the final nail confirming what they've been building for a while now.

They used to focus on "self-propelled wilderness travel", and gradually dropped every part of that, to now focus on people taking a road bike to an indoor yoga class, and then heading out car-camping for the weekend.

I buy some city clothes there, as they do make decent ones for okay prices when on clearance (or on sale, which they've also now done). But there's so little technical gear to be found in behind all the racks of cotton.
61146 likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Summit Master

Agreed with general sentiment voiced here

I used to swear by MEC, but they lost me when they decided to stop carrying certain brands in favor of their own. This is cardinal business mistake; you have to offer consumer everything & let them decide where they will put their money.

I like Atmosphere. I find selection ok & was always treated well. In particular Banff store. Short story: Recently I was looking for new hiking boots. Eventually decided on Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX. They had 1 pair left in my size in Banff store. There was sale coming in a week, and these would drop 25%. But 1 pair wouldn't last. Clerk suggested to put them on hold for me, but I'd have to phone every 3 days and re-reserve. Store manager overheard the conversation, did quick override and I walked out with new boots I wanted with substantial discount.

Speaking of Banff, Monods is pretty good too. Boots selection is downstairs & they have some European brands other stores don't carry; Hanwags in particular.

Last edited by zeljkok; 11-19-2016 at 05:31 PM.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 05:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

We still shop at MEC for the odd item but they've become a hipster shop for the Lululemon crowd. There's a bigger choice of stylish stuff there but much of it is less functional than it was. I found better tear-away hiking pants at Mark's work wearhouse, for much less money.

Nowadays, our first-stop outdoor store is Sports Junkies on broadway right near MEC in Vancouver. Just picked up a barely used pair of Merrell Moab trail runners for $40, which were selling in new condition at MEC for $120.00
Ryl and Trail Talk like this.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 04:48 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backcountry camping, hiking, photography, painting, birding, canoeing, snowshoeing etc..

Since the MEC "rebranding", the stores and the co-op ethos has all but disappeared.They have turned into the GAP with the "staff" having little to no clue on the technical gear they were once known for, It's a shame that this has happened to a once great cooperative ( a true co-op ) to a glorified Sport Chek.
I still shop there out of necessity but the lustre and excitement we used to feel walking into a store now has faded like old barn paint.

Last edited by 61146; 06-25-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page