Site Users Self - Introduction - Page 9 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Merci Peter !

After my arrival, I've bought 2 books that looked very interesting: "Canadians Rookies Trails Guide" and "103 hikes" (thanks to you all).

I'll keep an eye on the forum to check if somebody needs some compagny. Right now, I'm pretty much scared to do hicking alone... I've been told there are bears, wolves, Cougars and some other wild animals around Kamloops. I need first some advices because in the Alps, you don't have so much wilderness. I wouldn't want to make some big mistakes I'll regret the rest of my life!
Be sure I'll send you my trip reports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ghune

Merci Peter !

After my arrival, I've bought 2 books that looked very interesting: "Canadians Rockies Trail Guide" and "103 hikes" (thanks to you all).

I'll keep an eye on the forum to check if somebody needs some compagny. Right now, I'm pretty much scared to do hiking alone... I've been told there are bears, wolves, Cougars and some other wild animals around Kamloops. I need first some advices because in the Alps, you don't have so much wilderness. I wouldn't want to make some big mistakes I'll regret the rest of my life!
Be sure I'll send you my trip reports.
For safety, you want at least three people in a group. If one person gets hurt, one stays with him and the other goes for help. Theoretically, bears never attack groups of four people or more, so the larger number might be preferred.

Cougars probably aren't a problem - only 27 deaths in Canada in the last century. It's unlikely you'll ever see one. Bears shouldn't be a problem unless you startle them - make lots of noise.

You can pick a hike you want to do, then post it on the 'Hiking Partners' section of the website. There are probably lots of people around who'd like to go with you.
post #123 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Great site...i got sucked in by the "Secret Evil Compound" thread and have found it to be a great resource(CT not the SEC). I am originally from Italy but moved to the Alberta Rockies as a kid. My family is involved in the guide and outfitting business so I spent a lot of time in the bush. I was in the french military for a number of years and have only recently moved back to Canada and B.C.. It is quite an amazing place, whatever your angle on the outdoors B.C. has it. They only negitive is that you have this curse called Devils Club...I really, really hate it. Anyways i am glad to be aboard.

Luca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Welcome Retrogressive.

Lots of good info, and lots of people who really understand why you do what you do.

Ignore the trolls.
post #125 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Quote >> only negitive is that you have this curse called Devils Club...I really, really hate it. Anyways i am glad to be aboard.

Luca
----------------------------------------------------
You'd be suprised at the Life that exists in a forest that harbours Devil's Club [ if we are speaking of the same plant ]. I consider it a "lucky omen "! []

... ...
post #126 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 06:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Hi, just going to add to this thread

My name is Leigh, I moved to Squamish, BC with my wife, an Albertan, a few months back (april '10) with the aim of getting a lot more into outdoor activities. Doing mainly hiking right now, but I also snowboard so can't wait for the winter to roll in.

Looking to also get into climbing, kayaking and hunting (haven't really looked into the latter, so don't even know if I'll be allowed to as a permanent resident, so until I can become a citizen in a few years I hope to be able to at least go out with some other hunters)

Also, is there a facebook group for clubthread.com?

post #127 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leimrod

Hi, just going to add to this thread

Club Tread!
post #128 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leimrod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=2390859432&ref=ts
post #129 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi,

I'm an Albertan, who recently moved to Vancouver ( last September ). I'm an IT guy and got to live in whistler for 6 weeks during the Olympics while working for Acer. I'm not in Burnaby and have recently made friends who had an interest in Hiking. Looking for ways to get in shape that don't suck ( the gym ), I am now hooked on having fun in the outdoors. I've only managed to do a few hikes this summer and posted one as a kind of a terrible TR. I actually have to go back to take the right trail.

I plan on getting into climbing once I've done my homework and can honestly say climbing with crampons and ice axes looks SO fun. So I'll be trying that for sure when I'm ready. I've got my copy of The Freedom of the Hills 7th ed. We'll see, I'm also scaring the sh*t out of myself by reading the climbing adventure books ( into thin air and touching the void ).. we'll see.

I'm now spending nearly all of my spare money at MEC now.. so much to get!

I was directed to CT through Moses as we work together. My username was a nickname as I'm kind of a bear myself, and my first name is Cody. I get the feeling this forum is perfect for me

Moses also gave me a copy of 103 hikes (1976!) and Easy Hiking in Vancouver.
post #130 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

An Alberta who moved to BC? Leaving your red-necked ways behind?

Lucky man.

Welcome to CT.
post #131 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hello there everyone.My name is Mike.I'm 46 y/o and live in Calgary.I work for "The City of Calgary."I've been hiking since the mid 80's and started Scrambling in 1991 with "The Fortress" being the first summit.I also love Snowshoeing but have yet to recover from the trauma of having my old set Tubbs Mtn 36's stolen while at Wild Bill's in Banff a few yrs ago.I've yet to replace them.

I have recently developed a passion for Hope BC,The KVR and the surrounding area.I'm looking forward to exploring a little more around there come this Sept.I know very little about it so you can understand why everything around there kinda gets me stoked..I love it.

The roads around Hope and northwards on the TCH are very WRX friendly as well

post #132 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hey all, name is Gordie and I'm an avid backcountry solotripper. I live in Winnipeg Manitoba, but have lived all over Canada. From Newfoundland to Vancouver Island.

I am currently building a cabin in a Provincial Park. Once that is completed, I may work for a couple years more, then move to the cabin permanently. After the move, I will spend my summers hoboing around the north. I still haven't seen the territories yet. I will return to the cabin for the winters.

I have a website that I fool around with... http://www.backcountrycamping.info/
and I recently started a Facebook group to help gain support to reintroduce the wolf to Newfoundland. If it interests you, please join up. Tell your family and friends!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_138561499539198&ap=1
post #133 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Just a couple of questions, Gordie.
Not trying to disrespect your chosen lifestyle, but how do you get away with building a cabin in a provincial park? If everybody did that, there wouldn't be too much real wilderness left.
Also, your website lists Elk island as offering 'backcountry camping'. Not very much of Elk Island really qualifies as backcountry, and other than the Astotin lakeside campsite, the only other place where camig is allowed is the Oster Lake group campground. And you can drive into it with the gear and the water for your group, so I wouldn't consider it really backcountry either. Or do you know about some hidden corner I don't?
Good luck with the wolf resettlement idea.
post #134 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Its cottage country, I am building my cabin on a designated lot. There are hundreds of them out there. http://www.grindstonepark.ca/cms/

As for Elk Island, I am going by information of the official government website, it clearly states backcountry camping. Mind you I have never been there. They also have winter camping.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/elkisla...iv/activ2.aspx
post #135 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Just to let you know, cabins in parks are not a new thing. People live in parks all over this country. Terra Nova National park has a whole town and many cabins in the bush.

Algonquin park has many cabins with permanent residents.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page