Site Users Self - Introduction - Page 8 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path
 
spacemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: White Rock, BC, Canada.
Interest: photography, craft beer
Posts: 587
Default

hey everyone,

really glad to find this site, seems like a great resource. there's no better knowledge than shared knowledge, tried and true from others who've been there. I'm looking forward to contributing here and heck maybe even going on a trip with some of ya!

sm
spacemonkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: , , Canada.
Posts: 2,427
Default

Hello:

Just found this part of the site and I figured I should tack something up.

I'm from Ottawa originally, and we used to hike and camp in the Gatineaus and Algonquin Park when I was a kid. Did canoe trips from Ottawa to Kingston - flat water but interesting. Lots of great scenery and nice trails, but not a lot of elevation.

I've been in Alberta for over 25 years, and worked at the U of A (until Ralph Klein came along and cut 30% or our staff), ran a photo studio, and wrote for a bunch of little newspapers. When the 'nice' jobs dried up, I moved to the oil patch. I know, I'm really, really sorry, but I had to make a living. The only nice thing about that was driving back into the bush to check out wells all day. Saw lots of wildlife, often up close. I also got to go to Jasper a lot, and for years have booked May and September trips. Mostly tourist trips, but still really nice.

Now I sell municipal water treatment equipment (pumps, blowers, compressors). If you ever need a lake pumped dry, let me know. I've done it.

I used to run, then my knees gave out, then my feet, then my hips... Went into the pool for fitness and now swim and teach aqaufit at three different pools as a hobby. In June, I realized I was going to be at a pool six days a week, and decided there had to be a better way to spend our all-too-short summers.

Found the Edmonton Outdoor Club and went on a few hikes. Met some great people, including a large number who, like me, always seemed to find themselves out in front of the pack waiting for the dawdlers (wadlers?). I did a few mountains up by Grande Cache by myself, but then my wife got ansty about me going alone so I found a group of people from the EOC to hike with. I have six people for a double-header this weekend, Mt. Stearn and Lightning Ridge, then probably Ambler.

There's nothing quite like the feeling, after you've had to stop halfway up a climb and wonder whether you have the balls to finish what you've started, of getting to the summit and realizing you actually made it.

Haven't made it to BC for a hike yet, but Robson's just across the border. In the meantime, I'll stick to weekends and dayhikes, although I've got a new friend who wants me to start heading up into the backcountry. Maybe next year.

Nice people here.
peter1955 is offline  
post #108 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: , vancouver island, Canada.
Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life
Posts: 3,022
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

Hello:

Just found this part of the site and I figured I should tack something up.

I'm from Ottawa originally, and we used to hike and camp in the Gatineaus and Algonquin Park when I was a kid. Did canoe trips from Ottawa to Kingston - flat water but interesting. Lots of great scenery and nice trails, but not a lot of elevation.

I've been in Alberta for over 25 years, and worked at the U of A (until Ralph Klein came along and cut 30% or our staff), ran a photo studio, and wrote for a bunch of little newspapers. When the 'nice' jobs dried up, I moved to the oil patch. I know, I'm really, really sorry, but I had to make a living. The only nice thing about that was driving back into the bush to check out wells all day. Saw lots of wildlife, often up close. I also got to go to Jasper a lot, and for years have booked May and September trips. Mostly tourist trips, but still really nice.

Now I sell municipal water treatment equipment (pumps, blowers, compressors). If you ever need a lake pumped dry, let me know. I've done it.

I used to run, then my knees gave out, then my feet, then my hips... Went into the pool for fitness and now swim and teach aqaufit at three different pools as a hobby. In June, I realized I was going to be at a pool six days a week, and decided there had to be a better way to spend our all-too-short summers.

Found the Edmonton Outdoor Club and went on a few hikes. Met some great people, including a large number who, like me, always seemed to find themselves out in front of the pack waiting for the dawdlers (wadlers?). I did a few mountains up by Grande Cache by myself, but then my wife got ansty about me going alone so I found a group of people from the EOC to hike with. I have six people for a double-header this weekend, Mt. Stearn and Lightning Ridge, then probably Ambler.

There's nothing quite like the feeling, after you've had to stop halfway up a climb and wonder whether you have the balls to finish what you've started, of getting to the summit and realizing you actually made it.

Haven't made it to BC for a hike yet, but Robson's just across the border. In the meantime, I'll stick to weekends and dayhikes, although I've got a new friend who wants me to start heading up into the backcountry. Maybe next year.

Nice people here.
... getting to the summit is okay, but not the big ticket for me. If I turn off somewhere to discover
and explore a "hunch" and rest my body somewhere else, then that is my summit. Often the best discoveries
are off-trail and remote.
cambium is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #109 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: , , Canada.
Posts: 2,427
Default



... getting to the summit is okay, but not the big ticket for me. If I turn off somewhere to discover
and explore a "hunch" and rest my body somewhere else, then that is my summit. Often the best discoveries
are off-trail and remote.
[/quote]

It depends what your goals are when you set out. I have no problem with taking a detour or changing my route if the weather changes, or if something looks more interesting in a different direction, but there is satisfaction in achieving a goal that you've set for yourself.

If I fail to summit or have to turn back because of bad weather or other events I can't control,I don't fault myself, but I can't help but feel disappointed. If I fail because I was too weak, or wimpy, or unprepared to handle my own challenge, I will be annoyed enough with myself to keep at it until I succeed.

But that's just me. And this site is to introduce one's self to the other members, isn't it?
peter1955 is offline  
post #110 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:13 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Blucruisin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: in the valley, BC, Canada.
Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,
Posts: 1,570
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955



And this site is to introduce one's self to the other members, isn't it?
Yes it is!

Welcome to CT Peter! And yes, there are alot of nice people here (so don't let a few "spoilers" ruin it for you).

Cheers!
Blucruisin is offline  
post #111 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: , , Canada.
Posts: 2,427
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Blucruisin

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955



And this site is to introduce one's self to the other members, isn't it?
Yes it is!

Welcome to CT Peter! And yes, there are alot of nice people here (so don't let a few "spoilers" ruin it for you).

Cheers!
Thank you. I've met a few.....
peter1955 is offline  
post #112 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: , vancouver island, Canada.
Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life
Posts: 3,022
Default

Hey hey hey !!

40th anniversary of Monti Python ! Here is an assembled overview of "10 of the silliest moments" , scroll down, down, down. Enjoy !


...http://www.cbc.ca/arts/media/blogs/p...st_mome_1.html
cambium is offline  
post #113 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada.
Posts: 253
Default

Hi all! My name is Dean, I live in chilliwack. I'm new to the site, new to hiking,and I only "like" Monty Python. I can't believe I've lived here for 30 years and haven't hiked to Mt Cheam yet. I'm a sunday hiker/amatuer photographer and I hate camping in the rain. Time to gear-up and get out there!
devmar is offline  
post #114 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Summit Master
 
Flowing-Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Popkum, BC, Canada.
Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.
Posts: 6,099
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by devmar

Hi all! My name is Dean, I live in chilliwack. I'm new to the site, new to hiking,and I only "like" Monty Python. I can't believe I've lived here for 30 years and haven't hiked to Mt Cheam yet. I'm a sunday hiker/amatuer photographer and I hate camping in the rain. Time to gear-up and get out there!
Welcome Dean! Monty Python is beyond me but I do like to explore and challenge myself. It's not required that you follow any theme here, only that you enjoy the outdoors.
Flowing-Brook is offline  
post #115 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: , , Canada.
Posts: 2,427
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by devmar

Hi all! My name is Dean, I live in chilliwack. I'm new to the site, new to hiking,and I only "like" Monty Python. I can't believe I've lived here for 30 years and haven't hiked to Mt Cheam yet. I'm a sunday hiker/amatuer photographer and I hate camping in the rain. Time to gear-up and get out there!
If you hate camping in the rain, there are always day hikes! Should be a few around Chilliwack.

Welcome to CT. Ignore the flamers.
peter1955 is offline  
post #116 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Off the Beaten Path
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: surrey, , Canada.
Posts: 694
Default

Well I guess if you read the thread you should post in it.

When I was a kid I was in scouts. My family took my me and my brother camping alot. I think thats where all my skills and desire for the outdoors comes from.

I'm in my 30's and married to the girl I went to prom with (getting pretty close to spending half my life with Melissa). My son is almost 3 and I can can't wait for him to get a bit bigger so I can take him with me.

I started my own business 3 years ago (I install camera systems and security alarms as a subcontractor) so I get a fair amount of hiking done in the spring when things are slow. At the same time when it picks up I might work 20 days in a row

I like the really remote area's, mostly lakes (not much of a summit type guy). A good day out for me means seeing nobody else (I think I would die if I had to do the grouse grind)

I have a pretty decent to-do list and I'm hoping this year I will cross a few more off. I have been to Foley lake about 20 times over the years and a certian close by lake not once.

I took a long break from hiking when my wife was prego's and then when my son was really small. Finding time is the hardest thing for me, anyone who has a family knows just how many things need to get done each week.

Ps. my spelling is really bad, deal with it, I'm numbers guy

Cheers Mike
keadyn is offline  
post #117 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:32 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: , , Canada.
Posts: 2,427
Default

Welcome Keadyn.

You could always get one of those packs that includes a baby carrier. But, yeah, family obligations take precedence. I think that's why a lot of the people here are either young and single and get out all the time, or a lot older with grown kids who've left the nest. Finally, we can get back out there.
peter1955 is offline  
post #118 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada.
Posts: 112
Default

I know exactly what your saying Keadyn. It is a fine balance between me time, and we time. It's not impossible but it does take a heck of allot more planning to get the me time in that's for sure. I have a couple kids a bit older 7 and 9 that i'm desperately trying to convert from inside kids to outdoor kids. It's hard to get them motivated to leave the computer/wii/gameboy's and have fun outdoors with me. I'm going to try Scouts with them hoping that the draw of other kids will help in this fight but at the same time don't want to make them hate me with all the demanding and forcing to get outdoors for fresh air.
TESKELLY is offline  
post #119 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: , France -> Canada (Kamloops), .
Posts: 13
Default

Hello all!

I'm new here and I'm very happy to have found this forum. I'm French (I need to improve my english, I know) and left France about 2 years ago in order to go to Canada. I spent 2 years in Montreal and now, since I've met a nice Canadian woman, I've moved to BC in Thompson valley.

I used to backpack a lot when I was younger in the Alps but I need more practice now. I'm really interested in joining a group and discover this amazing place.

Ghune is offline  
post #120 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: , , Canada.
Posts: 2,427
Default

Bonjour, Ghune. Bienvenue a Club Tread.

There are a lot of good people on this website (and a few grumpy types). Look at posting hikes you want to do and see if you can find people to go with you. If you prefer to go alone, check out the Trip reports and Trails sections for guides to the best routes.

And make sure you post your own when you've done them!
peter1955 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1