Site Users Self - Introduction - Page 10 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GordieW

Its cottage country, I am building my cabin on a designated lot. There are hundreds of them out there. http://www.grindstonepark.ca/cms/

As for Elk Island, I am going by information of the official government website, it clearly states backcountry camping. Mind you I have never been there. They also have winter camping.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/elkisla...iv/activ2.aspx
Downtown Jasper isn't much of a park either, but it's surrounded by a vast amount of territory where the only buildings are the occasional warden's offices.

Provincial parks are subject to the whims of the various governments, I guess, and we have the same problem here. It seems a shame to designate half a lake as a park and cede the other side to development. Cottagers with powerboats can ruin the whole lake, not just their side of it. Personally, I go to the parks to get away from all that crap.

Come to Elk island sometime. The camping is the kind of thing that you'd do with your RV at Astotin, or your Boy Scout troop at Oster lake, but the trails are pretty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GordieW

Its cottage country, I am building my cabin on a designated lot. There are hundreds of them out there. http://www.grindstonepark.ca/cms/

As for Elk Island, I am going by information of the official government website, it clearly states backcountry camping. Mind you I have never been there. They also have winter camping.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/elkisla...iv/activ2.aspx
Downtown Jasper isn't much of a park either, but it's surrounded by a vast amount of territory where the only buildings are the occasional warden's offices.

Provincial parks are subject to the whims of the various governments, I guess, and we have the same problem here. It seems a shame to designate half a lake as a park and cede the other side to development. Cottagers with powerboats can ruin the whole lake, not just their side of it. Personally, I go to the parks to get away from all that crap.

Come to Elk island sometime. The camping is the kind of thing that you'd do with your RV at Astotin, or your Boy Scout troop at Oster lake, but the trails are pretty.
I hear ya, the power boaters I can do without. I don't even drive. I actually camp out on my land while I'm working. My neighbours think I'm weird. They tell me to put a shed on there to sleep in while I'm working on the cabin, I don't think they understand that I like camping. I would rather be sleeping out under the stars than in any type of building. Some of those cottagers have big stucco mansions, damn eyesore if you ask me. I am building small, the minimum requirement, and I'm not clearing my lot like most do. I'm keeping it fairly wooded. Lots of wildlife too, after my third weekend out there the deer started to approach me. At first they took off, but I guess they got used to me. A mother would bring her fawn to feed near me. I guess she figurd I wasn't a threat. It was pretty cool. Holy cow I'm rambling...lol

Hopefully I will make it to Elk Island one day, I plan on visiting as many parks across this country as I can.
post #138 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Hittin' the Trails

My name is Chris, I was born in Red Deer, AB. I found this site and replied to some posts back in 2009. Then the economy crashed and I was out of a job and had to move to SE SK, where I'm a production test supervisor. Money problems prevented me from getting out in 2009 and then being just plain busy, not to mention a 10hr drive from the mountains prevented me in 2010 but, 2011 is the year im gonna get out to the mountains for AT LEAST a week hahaha. So I started going through my favourites on my old computer and found CT again. I'm glad to be back lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cpetterson

My name is Chris, I was born in Red Deer, AB. I found this site and replied to some posts back in 2009. Then the economy crashed and I was out of a job and had to move to SE SK, where I'm a production test supervisor. Money problems prevented me from getting out in 2009 and then being just plain busy, not to mention a 10hr drive from the mountains prevented me in 2010 but, 2011 is the year im gonna get out to the mountains for AT LEAST a week hahaha. So I started going through my favourites on my old computer and found CT again. I'm glad to be back lol
Hi, Chris. I have one guy driving from Manitoba for one of my week-long trips. It's just a matter of determination and planning! Welcome back.
post #140 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Hello CT!

I found this site looking for some info about hiking and back country camping in Kananaskis. After lurking around the forums for a while I thought I might as well sign up.

From Calgary, my wife, myself, and our dog try to get outside as much as possible. We do day hikes and are getting into some backcountry camping. If I can't get out hiking or backpacking, I'm probably busy walking the dog, climbing (just indoors for now), snowboarding, or tooling around with the car.

And since no one really reads intro posts, here are some pictures.

by THE EDJ, on Flickr

by THE EDJ, on Flickr

by THE EDJ, on Flickr

by THE EDJ, on Flickr
post #141 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I like the beach umbrella in the snow.
post #142 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

I like the beach umbrella in the snow.
That was May 27 of this year, about 10km south on Powderface Trail. I think it snowed around 12"+ that day.
post #143 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Well, I suppose it's about time I introduced myself.

My name is Nick, and I have a telemark addiction.

It was the gateway drugs that got me into it, xc skiing in Ont as a youth, climbing, hillwalking & scrambling in the UK, climbing in the high mountains in France, but it was the first alpine climbing season I spent in BC that did it.

I had a fever for the crack & the rock, and nothing was going to stop me getting a fix. So one fine day in May I post holed in to Russet lake to go for a climb (I was still new to the area and hadn't figured out just how chossy things can be around here). And then I post holed all the way out.

Shortly after that I met a shady character at a local gear pushers shop, and he uttered the words that have sealed my fate from then on..."hey kid...want to try some freeheel gear? I swear man, it's like flying"

Now I'm a wreck. I find myself thinking about my next fix, my eyes get glazed over & that far away look when it starts snowing. I even try to sneak away from work to satisfy my cravings.

Luckily there is a support group for this kind of thing. And that's why I'm here today.
post #144 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Well not sure anyone reads these things... last one being in 2011. Haha

Anyways,

Hello, My name is Wes. I am a public service defect that hailed from Ottawa. I now sort of roam from place to place, and will find myself back in Cascadia in July.

I guess the prime motives for me to join the community are;

-To improve my hiking/camping/backpacking knowledge
-To find some folks to do the afore mentioned activities

My interest lie in the outdoors, travel, bike polo, soccer, and other little things...

Anyways see you around.
post #145 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Scaling New Heights

Greetings!

I am a 3rd generation Vancouverite and spend most of my free time in the BC outdoors.

I ski Whistler lifts 50+ days per year (usually do Flute laps if crowded), 43 consecutive seasons (my first season pass was $50).

First time on top of the Black Tusk, summer of 1974. A few years later brought snorkeling gear up to Garibaldi Lake plus 12 stubbies!

Pioneer fat-tire rider with a Gary Fisher back in '82. These days I mountain bike XC all over B.C., but mostly Squamish/Whistler if out of the city, weekly nightrides with the boys either shore, sfu or shed. Favorite riding is Williams Lake, though, XC heaven every September before and after the hunt opening in the Chilco.

Car-camped on Long Beach from 1967, learned to surf there about 1973, started sailing in 1982, circumnavigated Van Isle 2002, Sitka 2004. Had about four good years doing whitewater kayaking with some Whistler buddies.

Started hiking and backpacking more regularly about three years ago. I'm drawn to the West Coast wilderness, and plan to get serious about a touring 'yak to access some beach hikes.

Brooks looms large in the future, but only as a prelude to the mother of all beachwalks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page