• 5 Post By guntis
  • 1 Post By tu
  • 4 Post By peddlebike
  • 2 Post By Farmer
  • 2 Post By tinman610

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Any hunters in the group ..... ?

Some folks may be aware of the 'new' Wildlife Allocation rulings that are the hot topic in our province at the moment. The Provincial Government has increased the amount of big game 'licences' to go to the guide/outfitters for the benefit non-resident trophy hunters ....... these 'licences' were formerly available to resident hunters.

Wild game, combined with home grown or organic produce ........ is probably the finest diet you and your family could have ........

Does this affect anyone here ....?
Anyone care ....... ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 10:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I don't hunt but it is an interesting debate. It's part of a much larger dialog about the balance to strike between protecting the interests of local residents and accepting foreign money to ensure that local residents enjoy the benefits of a vibrant economy. The answer is surely somewhere in the middle - very few people would suggest that we close our doors completely or that we remove all limits.

At first glance, it does seem like the new hunting regulations have gone further than is reasonable to attract foreign money at the expense of limiting the ability of local residents to participate in the hunt.

There are some similarities to the debate about the construction of Vantage College on the UBC campus. The college only accepts international students (who have to pay a very high fee,) and then they are basically guaranteed a spot in the main stream of the university for their second year. Some people are crying foul - claiming that it allows foreigners to basically buy their way into a university degree. Foreign students who do not meet the normal admittance requirements now have an alternate entry path that is not available to local students. Even if you have the money, Canadians are not allowed to attend Vantage College. Arguments could potentially be made that the high fees could subsidize Canadian students and that the new seats could be entirely incremental.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...pply-1.2826142

In a similar light, Microsoft just received approval to bypass the Labour Market Assessment so that they can bring in large numbers of Temporary Foreign Workers without even considering Canadians for those jobs. The explanation is that the "training center" will also create a handful of long term jobs for Canadians and that Microsoft wouldn't otherwise consider hiring Canadians for these roles so there is no actual negative impact. Questions are being asked. What benefit does this actually bring to Canada? What potential costs does it bring?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fore...nees-1.2870289

Foreign ownership of real estate is another related debate. CBC: "Alberta limits non-residents to two plots of agricultural or recreational land not exceeding a total of 20 acres"? Should similar rules be applied to other types of property such as single family homes?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/real-e...ners-1.1216517

And of course, foreign ownership of companies and resources is another large chapter in the discussion with many clear pros and cons. It's hard to participate in the global economy if you close your doors to foreign investment. At the same time, are you comfortable with all of your major resources being owned by foreign entities?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4563001/

The ability for people to buy permanent resident status has been an active area of debate this year. The old program was scrapped but a new one has been introduced. CBC: "The Canadian government will give permanent residency to approximately 50 millionaire immigrant investors and their families under a pilot program set to begin in the new year."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...gram-1.2875518

Understandably, the rules that are the most contentious are those that give foreigners preferred or exclusive access.
In the case of the hunting regulations, my understanding is that is the case with some of the LEH hunts for big game where foreign hunters are guaranteed access and residents must participate in a lottery.
"For resident hunters, however, the numbers loom large. They already have to apply for big-game permits in limited-entry hunts, and often fail for years to get a permit to hunt animals such as moose, sheep or elk. They feel the government has turned its back on them in favour of high-paying foreign hunters, who are guaranteed access as long as they hire a guide."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22097825/

Of course, the issue is muddied by the fact that the guides are local residents and they benefit significantly from the foreign hunt. That turns it into a somewhat simpler debate between two groups of locals.

To a large extent, the "right" answer is one that is consistent with what we would expect from our primary trading partners. If we want the ability to own vacation property in the US, we should probably not introduce a new law that would prevent US citizens from doing the same here. If hunters in BC want the ability to go and hunt in other jurisdictions, they should probably have regulations here that are consistent with what they would want in those other areas. In this situation, a case is being made that we now have rules that are exceptionally favourable to foreign hunters compared to what is normal and compared to what our hunters would expect to receive when they travel to other jurisdictions.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 03:25 AM
Banned

Even though I come from a family of hunters...it has never been my "thing". I am not against it...quite the contrary, I see it as a useful and necessary activity that every kid should have some experience in.
It should be looked upon as a serious endeavor and the participants should be trained accordingly, this would help to mitigate the endless piles of spent shells and casing that we encounter along EVERY logging road and trail in the CRV.
Ironically, hunters contribute MORE towards game conservation, preservation and rehabilitation than any of the anti-hunting groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 11:27 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

In general, it rubs me the wrong way when foreign money can buy something at the expense of the people who live here. Take care of our own first, then we can worry about the uber-wealthy non-residents.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 02:50 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Too **** bad. You guys hunted out the Category A animals into decline, and now you're fighting over the scraps. Usually you all just bitch about the First Nations.
alpalmer likes this.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu View Post
Too **** bad. You guys hunted out the Category A animals into decline, and now you're fighting over the scraps. Usually you all just bitch about the First Nations.
Would you clarify/back-up your statements ...... examples would be appreciated.
Thank you .....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu View Post
I have no idea what you are calling Category A animals, but lets assume you're talking about big game.

From BC Fish & Wildlife's publication on Elk in BC

Quote:
Since the mid-1970s, the number of interior Rocky
Mountain Elk in British Columbia has increased from
about 15,000 to 40,000.
From a similar publication on moose in BC

Quote:
The take by resident hunters, although substantial, is regulated and is not a major conservation concern.
Quote:
Since 1981, the Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks has undertaken a number of Moose habitat enhancement projects in central and northern British Columbia. The Habitat Conservation Trust Fund provided financial support, derived from a portion of hunting license revenues, for these projects.

Bring back Jim.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

As for the topic at hand, I disagree with the decision to allow a greater percentage of big game tags to go to non-residents, even though if I were to hunt in BC I would fall into that category.

I do take offense with the idea that all non-residents are trophy hunters, as the OP suggests. My main reason to want to go hunting in BC would be for moose. Thanks to congress introducing wolves in MT, moose tags are **** near impossible to get, and even tougher to fill these days. BC has a much healthier moose population (not to mention larger Alaskan moose if you go into the northwest corner), so a non-resident tag is my best bet of getting to kill a moose. I prefer their meat over any other wild game that I have had so far.

Bring back Jim.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Summit Master

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
I have no idea what you are calling Category A animals, but lets assume you're talking about big game.

From BC Fish & Wildlife's publication on Elk in BC

From a similar publication on moose in BC

etc...
etc...
Proving what I said....
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 04:41 PM
Banned

Hey...how come this "HUNTING" thread didn't get locked or deleted?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 09:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

Because it was dead until you necro'd it.
alpalmer and russellcoffin like this.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page