Craigslist post about MEC - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastPaddler View Post
Perhaps you should get an accountant to explain the difference between gross margin and markup to you before you start arguing about this further.

There is absolutely no way that any retail business could thrive with markups that you claim. I can guarantee you that many of the products in MEC's lineup have close to or near (or even higher than) keystone markup while some products will have much lower margins. I would guess that MEC product markup averages out somewhere between 60 - 80%. If you believe that MEC doesn't mark up their products as much as other retailers you are sadly mistaken.

A better explanation than the overly-simplified version you've quoted can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_margin

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markup_(business)

Further: Can you can point out to me exactly where in this thread that I accuse you of "being unable to admit it when you're wrong". A friendly word of advice here -- read more carefully before you make such accusations.
In the interest of decarbonizing the discussion, the best interests of the site, practicing self-moderation etc. I have removed my response to your comments regarding my personality. I expect you will follow suit and remove your comments regarding my personality and your participation in the topic. Compliments to the others who practiced restraint and stayed out of it. I'll be on a trip for the next day or so.

Meet you at DYE-II?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgRant View Post
In the interest of decarbonizing the discussion, the best interests of the site, practicing self-moderation etc. I have removed my response to your comments regarding my personality. I expect you will follow suit and remove your comments regarding my personality and your participation in the topic. Compliments to the others who practiced restraint and stayed out of it. I'll be on a trip for the next day or so.
What? Pretend like none of this happened? After all the abuse that you've dished out to myself and others on this site I see no reason to remove anything that you've said. Sometimes you've got to live with your words. Perhaps next time you want to argue with someone you'll give an extra moment of thought before replying inappropriately and in such a mean spirited and demeaning manner.
tinman610 and skeletalmachine like this.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Back to the topic of this discussion...

The post that I made on page 1 (Post #8) is verbatim of the Craigslist post that started this discussion -- I responded to each point in the post. Nothing was left out or altered except for the title of the article which was something along the lines of "We Could Teach a Monkey to do This Job".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

MEC sucks. Big box store for hipster outdoors people. They should buy back everyone's membership and re-brand as Metropolitan Expendable Chattel.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 01:11 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastPaddler View Post
What? Pretend like none of this happened? After all the abuse that you've dished out to myself and others on this site I see no reason to remove anything that you've said. Sometimes you've got to live with your words. Perhaps next time you want to argue with someone you'll give an extra moment of thought before replying inappropriately and in such a mean spirited and demeaning manner.

strike 2 for SGR
tinman610 likes this.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 11:45 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Blah blah. Sorry, but just don't shop there if you don't like it. Seems easy enough to me! We live in a free country. Shop online and support the little guy if that's your thing. I've been doing more and more of that lately in my pursuit of lighter and more specialized gear.

The soap box opera is getting a little dull from where I'm sitting.
zeljkok and W.C-hiker like this.

Vern Dewit
post #37 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern.dewit View Post
Blah blah. Sorry, but just don't shop there if you don't like it. Seems easy enough to me! We live in a free country. Shop online and support the little guy if that's your thing. I've been doing more and more of that lately in my pursuit of lighter and more specialized gear.

The soap box opera is getting a little dull from where I'm sitting.
If it was a private corporation, I would feel the same way. However, it's a co-op and I think it's great that members are remaining engaged and having these discussions with each other about the future of the co-op.
Rachelo likes this.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 10:32 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
If it was a private corporation, I would feel the same way. However, it's a co-op and I think it's great that members are remaining engaged and having these discussions with each other about the future of the co-op.
True, I see your point there I guess. But as a co-op our strongest voice is still our $$$, no? I don't like the direction MEC is going either, but things change and I have to deal with it. Maybe MEC is no longer a "co-op"?

What I do love is all these independent 'little guys' opening shop on the web and selling me custom products out of their garage. Very little environmental impact and I know I'm supporting a company that values my business. I think this is the new direction.

I'm also very intrigued by the way Patagonia is doing business. They are actually capping growth and trying to be more sustainable unlike the big corporations like TNF and presumably MEC who are ONLY driven by profit.

Vern Dewit
post #39 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:25 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern.dewit View Post
But as a co-op our strongest voice is still our $$$, no?
Dollars speak to a limited degree but in this case the biggest voice is the membership, through votes.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 12:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Poor service / selection / product knowledge abounds - I guess I'm just disappointed in the changes at MEC over the years. It's like going to a favorite place and finding its gone all touristy.

But I can change, just the other day I successfully bought groceries thru a self checkout WITHOUT having to summon help... baby steps, baby steps. LOL
vern.dewit likes this.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

A somewhat related point; During a current road trip, I've checked prices on three specific items at Cabela's the USA MEC equivalent, in Oregon, Arizona and Nevada.

all three items, A GPS, a trekking pole and a small day pack are more pricey here at Caeblas.

Eg. The Garmin etrex 20 GPS is $199.99 US at the Cabela's whereas it is $180.00 CDN with the same world wide base map and other features. Likewise a trekking pole and small day pack were about 20% more in USD at Cabelas than at MEC. Hiking boots were sometimes more, sometimes less depending on brand.

Not sure if better prices available at Cabelas in washington state. US chains tend to throw lots of excess inventory to the northern border stores where prices are discounted to soak up the Canadian customers.

post #42 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngenx View Post
The Edmonton store has long been nicknamed "Mountain Equipment Out of Stock" and despite adding a lot of footage, that persists as the space was added for bikes.

The main problem here has been the loss of outdoors-experienced staff. They have trimmed from 125 staffers to 60, losing most of their very part-time casual staff. They cost the coop in terms of payroll costs, but were super valuable as the store could usually have one or two of them around when people needed help with ski mountaineering or climbing gear.
This ONE THOUSAND TIMES!!!! WTF is MEC doing in Edmonton. The store has been arranged and rearranged so many times and their main problem is not how they display merchandise but how few items they stock!
post #43 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Off the Beaten Path

xj6response: REI/EMS is a lot more like MEC than Caeblas. You will find prices among those stores to be pretty equivalent, but it varies because REI/EMS have more clearance and sales events.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 05:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Spot on about REI was there today and picked up bush gloves. Good price . Other items were similar to MEC but electronic items more pricey. Some good clearance tables at REI
post #45 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
REI/EMS is a lot more like MECs
Completely agreed. Shopped 1st time ever this year, and had complete "MEC-alike" impression. MEC in good days that is.

There are no REI outlets/stores in Canada, correct?

Last edited by zeljkok; 12-04-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page