Brazen Park parking-lot break-in - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Brazen Park parking-lot break-in

From KOMO news, Hannegan trailhead

SEATTLE -- After spending six days backpacking in the North Cascades near Hannegan Pass, a West Seattle couple returned to the parking lot at the trail head to find their red Volvo had been burglarized, along with three other cars.

The thieves took everything of value, but they didn't stop there...

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/T...274180141.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

wow and so discouraging, but not surprising given the times in which we live. Years ago I removed all evidence of where I live from my car because of this very reason, no registration, insurance card, house keys. Keep all documentation in my wallet. Crooks might still be able to do a license plate search on the internet but that's not easy. Still, a rude thing to come back off the trail and find this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wow, how utterly disheartening to come back home after that.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Summit Master

Not meaning to blame the victims, but it does seem incredibly silly to leave your keys in the car. It's a small enough item to bring with you. I leave the unnecessary ones (ie work keys) at home to lighten the load. I also wouldn't leave a cell phone in the car. A car is hardly a secure storage unit.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

Not meaning to blame the victims, but it does seem incredibly silly to leave your keys in the car. It's a small enough item to bring with you. I leave the unnecessary ones (ie work keys) at home to lighten the load. I also wouldn't leave a cell phone in the car. A car is hardly a secure storage unit.
If things go sideways on a hike, such as a rescue, you may end up back in civilization without returning to your car. There are any number of reasons to keep your house keys with you.

The fact that people keep leaving keys, money, wallets, phones etc. in their cars means that they're not just dumb in this regard, but they're also inconsiderate. They're inconsiderate because these prizes for thieves encourages the thieves to break into cars that have nothing in them, like mine. Probably being inconsiderate is just another aspect of being dumb.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 02:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Being inconsiderate is what the thieves are doing. How dare you insinuate someone is wrong because they're trusting and don't button everything up in a vault. It is such a backwards attitude to BLAME the victim in these instances -- it is solely that asshole thieves that are to blame here.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 03:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WestCoastPaddler

Being inconsiderate is what the thieves are doing. How dare you insinuate someone is wrong because they're trusting and don't button everything up in a vault. It is such a backwards attitude to BLAME the victim in these instances -- it is solely that asshole thieves that are to blame here.
What the thieves are doing is criminal, not inconsiderate. There are usually warnings at trailheads not to leave valuables in cars. So, the element of blame is justified in this case.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 04:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

No. The element of blame goes solely to the thieves.

Why should anyone be blamed for something someone else does that is wrong? Where I was raised, taking someone's stuff is wrong.

Next you're going to tell me that its a woman's fault she was raped because she wore provocative clothing?

Put the blame where it belongs -- here's a hint -- it's not the victim who should be blamed.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 06:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

No. The element of blame goes solely to the thieves.

Why should anyone be blamed for something someone else does that is wrong? Where I was raised, taking someone's stuff is wrong.

Next you're going to tell me that its a woman's fault she was raped because she wore provocative clothing?

Put the blame where it belongs -- here's a hint -- it's not the victim who should be blamed.
Blame the criminal for the crime. But you're missing the point. The victim left valuables in the car.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I totally get the point.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stoked
The victim left valuables in the car.
And that matters exactly how?

Hint: the answer is in my previous post.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.

Since we're debating who's 'inconsiderate', here are some synonyms courtesy of Google. Green is for, well, being green and red is evil:

thoughtless,unthinking,insensitive,selfish,self-centered,unsympathetic,uncaring,heedless,unmindful ,unkind,uncharitable,ungracious,impolite,discourte ous,rude,disrespectful

Though either green or red, note that most of the words can in fact be turned green when taking into account sgRant's take on the situation. Most people though aren't looking past their own vehicle's safety when leaving it in an isolated parking lot.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 01:16 AM
Summit Master

Quote:

I absolutely agree with your point. There should be no need for locks on anything except maybe to keep children out of danger. There should be very little or no need for police and the whole justice system. You should be able to keep your money in a shoebox on your front porch, rather than in a bank.

And I'm not making fun of your position.

Since cheating, stealing, lying etc. are so common, protecting one's own interests and property becomes somewhat a matter of practicality. It is not practical for me for others to leave valuables, keys, money etc. in their cars at trailheads, because thieves can't tell what's in a car without breaking into it, and so being rewarded for doing so increases the chances they will break into my content-free vehicle. In that sense, they are inconsiderate.

It could be argued it would be more practical for those people to not leave valuables in their cars either. Surely it is less trouble (and extends one's options) to carry cellphones, wallets, money and housekeys along on hikes rather than suffer the bother that comes from having one's car broken into and these things stolen. In that sense, they are stupid.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 01:41 AM
High on the Mountain Top

So... instead of dealing with the actual problem of dealing with thieves (perhaps stricter laws and much much more severe penalties?) you're suggesting that we all become complacent in our views, lay down to these assholes, and accept responsibility for someone stealing our property even though it was in a locked container just because... well... that's the way it is? That's a cop out and a soggy band-aid solution at best to a bigger problem that serves to further victimize victims and does nothing to fix the root of the problem.

The only stupid thing is that people put up with this degenerated segment of society.

Perhaps, if people were to put adequate pressure on politicians and the justice system, something positive could be done.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 12:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

I totally get the point.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stoked
The victim left valuables in the car.
And that matters exactly how?

Hint: the answer is in my previous post.
Since we're into hints: Pavlov's dog.

Valuables in car --> Thief breaks in and steals valuables --> Thief is rewarded --> Thief starts salivating for more treats.

Alternative situation:

No valuables in car --> Thief breaks in --> Thief is frustrated --> Thief gives up on trailhead thefts.

You should realize that if you don't leave valuables in the car you are in control of the situation to a higher degree. You can't be victimized to the greater extent. Ha, ha. I like that.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 02:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

So... instead of dealing with the actual problem of dealing with thieves (perhaps stricter laws and much much more severe penalties?) you're suggesting that we all become complacent in our views, lay down to these assholes, and accept responsibility for someone stealing our property even though it was in a locked container just because... well... that's the way it is? That's a cop out and a soggy band-aid solution at best to a bigger problem that serves to further victimize victims and does nothing to fix the root of the problem.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page