BC Parks in danger - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default BC Parks in danger

Poachers made off with a giant red cedar in Carmanah Walbran Provincial Park.
Go to: http://www.timescolonist.com/Poacher...363/story.html

The tree is not the issue. The lack of respect for parks by our BC government is the issue.
"Ministry [of Environment] figures show the number of park rangers has dropped by half over the past decade. There were 27 full-time and 172 seasonal rangers in 2001-02, compared with 10 full-time and 87 seasonal rangers in 2012-13."

The current government obviously does not care about our parks. Since the NDP is most likely going to form the government next year, we should be contacting the NDP leader and our local NDP candidates and getting commitments from them that they will support our parks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

That sucks !. Loss for future generations...Imagine this tree starting growing in the early part of the middle ages....

Stump is all that is left (taken from article)..

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

I've found various examples in Provincial & Regional parks where some yahoos out for twisted jollies spent some time dropping really realy big 800 year old trees for fun. Not too many people own faller's saws. [V]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Off the Beaten Path

How horrible!! [:0]

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Osbos

The current government obviously does not care about our parks. Since the NDP is most likely going to form the government next year, we should be contacting the NDP leader and our local NDP candidates and getting commitments from them that they will support our parks.
Yep, that's what I thought- I'm waiting for a response from them.

BTW, Rob Fleming is the NDP MLA that serves as opposition critic for the environment.
rob.fleming.mla@leg.bc.ca
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

Senseless, careless....
Maybe adopt a forest would be a good idea? Community groups, funded by corporations that take stewardship of certain areas of parks in coordination with govt officials? Like adopt a highway? People cleaning a highway sponsored by.....let's say...Costco? etc...
Corporations are always looking for ways to be green, these days. Maybe a dumb idea?
I wish I could take some pride and ownership in a section of forest or desert, etc.
Sometimes it would require no action; the best thing in wilderness is to leave no footprint. No throng of employees or a nearby town group stomping through the grounds every weekend, policing. But, it WOULD bring public awareness simply by engaging school kids, etc.

We don't even HAVE a tree like that to look at down here. My trees look like something out of DR. Seuss hehe
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

I think they should be shot!!! [}][V][xx(]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by no quitting

I think they should be shot!!! [}][V][xx(]

Hang them high to air out on top of those big trees, preferably near a swamp and mosquitoe farm.

K
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
The tree is not the issue. The lack of respect for parks by our BC government is the issue.
"Ministry [of Environment] figures show the number of park rangers has dropped by half over the past decade. There were 27 full-time and 172 seasonal rangers in 2001-02, compared with 10 full-time and 87 seasonal rangers in 2012-13."
The cuts in funding has caused some Strathcona Park trails to be neglected...windfalls from last year was not cleared and there is more windfall this year.
Illegal firepits dot the alpine...these sensitive areas are not being patrolled.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by solo75

Quote:
The cuts in funding has caused some Strathcona Park trails to be neglected...windfalls from last year was not cleared and there is more windfall this year.
Illegal firepits dot the alpine...these sensitive areas are not being patrolled.
Too many people openly and verbally declaring all parks are on-limits to unleashed pets,signage and self-education are meaningless, all to common now in our Parks.

To clarify further by edit-addition, a friend of mine stop fishing in a popular prov park two weeks ago because of a pack of three pit bulls and another rottweiller constantly loose several hundred meters away from blatantly disregardful owners; said dogs were openly snarling and menacing.
Parks won't patrol nor re-instate a host there. Families have stopped swimming there.A Provincial Park.Standards are gone.
Guess I'll go golfing there since rules are to be ignored.Cut some trees and branches to clear a long-shot.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cambium

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by solo75

Quote:
Too many people openly and verbally declaring all parks are on-limits to unleashed pets,signage and self-education are meaningless, all to common now in our Parks.
So true.
Quote:
quote:
To clarify further by edit-addition, a friend of mine stop fishing in a popular prov park two weeks ago because of a pack of three pit bulls and another rottweiller constantly loose several hundred meters away from blatantly disregardful owners; said dogs were openly snarling and menacing.
That's why I carry my bear spray at all times.
Quote:
quote:
Guess I'll go golfing there since rules are to be ignored.Cut some trees and branches to clear a long-shot.
How about putting in a Mtn bike trail?[}]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page