geek help - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.
Default geek help

Someone refresh me.. on a Sever 2008 active directory domain, if I want to set up a new printer with a static address below the DHCP scope, do I still have to create a reservation for that address?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

No clue, just wanted to call you a geek.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

...and by trial and error the geek found the answer on his own which is, no reservation required

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Monster

Someone refresh me.. on a Sever 2008 active directory domain, if I want to set up a new printer with a static address below the DHCP scope, do I still have to create a reservation for that address?

What?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

It's not really all that complicated but I guess I did word it in such a way as to weed out those who didn't have real networking experience.

How bout something more interesting? Secure your web browsing on your smartphone by encrypting all network traffic

I recently installed a packet sniffer in front of my router to capture all in and outbound internet traffic and immediately realized how easy it was to view emails and texts from any device attached to my network. The implications of this means that any time you use a public wi-fi connection for your phone or laptop, anyone with access to the router (and a bit of know how) can capture every bit of data you send and receive.

Most people do not care about this but those of you sharing national security secrets (or Occupy Wall Street rally locations) might like to prevent your Blackberry, Android, or iPhone internet traffic from potentially being read by villains from the Legion of Doom.

To these security ends I found this nifty trick for creating an SSH tunnel between my smartphone and a remote server (in my case my web hosting provider down in California). I simply activate it when ever I'm using wi-fi in a cafe, hotel, library (or my neighbours unprotected wireless that I use to spam those I dont like with) and it encrypts all data leaving my phone or laptop till it reaches my SSH server.

way cool..! (if yer a geek)

http://lifehacker.com/5803880/how-to...-android-phone
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

I use SSH to login to servers on a regular basis, I was curious when phones would be capable to do so, they likely have been for a while as I haven't been following it. I look forward to the day when smartphones have great internet speed, and more capabilities, so I can just work entirely from a phone.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I was aware of such issues when using a public WiFi, but are there also security issues when browsing with your smartphone through your mobile service provider?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

Where there is a will, there is a way...
http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-...martphones-694
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

I use SSH to login to servers on a regular basis, I was curious when phones would be capable to do so, they likely have been for a while as I haven't been following it. I look forward to the day when smartphones have great internet speed, and more capabilities, so I can just work entirely from a phone.
You could always use SSH on smartphones to log into remote systems, what's new is using the SSH tunnel to port all your browsing traffic through for as long as you keep your connection to the server open. I would recommend using a professional hosting service with a fat pipe for your SSH service though, just to keep things speedy.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Summit Master

I would guess that would be slower to browse? How do ssl encrypted websites, like banks load?

post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

SSL simply encrypts select data at the client, such as passwords and bank account number. Using SSH tunnels ensures that all network traffic is encrypted at the client, and not decrypted till it reaches your SSH server, much like a VPN connection works.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Summit Master

Right and what I am saying is I imagine it loads slower because of that. When you visit a secure bank page the entire page is secure (https) page to page (once logged in). This can be slightly slower webpage loading process even without SSH during initial handshakes, and I imagine viewing pages via ssh would be even slower to load. Have you tried it yet? It's quite possible it loads the same speed fine, I'm just curious.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Theoretically yes, and noticeably in practice too if you were to set your SSH server up on your home computer for remote access, however even then it's more than acceptable. When using a professional pipe such as commercial web hosting service to rum my SSH server, I haven't noticed any slow down in web browsing speed at all. In other words, don't let concerns of bottlenecks keep you from taking the security of your privacy into your own hands.

Also, since last July, mainstream smartphone manufactures have been incorporating dual core CPUs into their units much like the new iPhone does and the effect of this on overall user experience has been dramatic. Where existing smartphones have been clunky at best for web browsing and email the newer dual core phones leave me wondering if I really need my home computer anymore... well ok photoshop, real keyboard, large monitor and storage capacity keep my home computer from forced obsolescence for now.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

I was aware of such issues when using a public WiFi, but are there also security issues when browsing with your smartphone through your mobile service provider?
Much less so BG, the thing about using your providers mobile service is that, basically you are the only one using it. It is not that someone couldn't capture your web traffic on the mobile network but they'd need to have to jump through a great deal more hoops with out access to the router (gateway) your on in any given location. I would say using your mobile network is the next safest solution next to a SSH/VPN tunnel.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page