Aggressive Bears - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Aggressive Bears

I have been keeping silent on this one but I could not help seeing a sentence that jumped out at me.
The lady had 12 peanuts on her back deck, 2 bird feeders , and an empty can of bear spray near a flower pot.

So it would appear some poor bear came around and found some food and was sprayed with a full can. Yes it came back ! all that food is just an open invitation. Do you know all over Coquitlam & Port Moody there are signs and reminders in the local papers about bears and keeping your place clean, free of gardage , bird feeders ...... !

People these are CITY BEARS ! Westwood Plateau used to be their home until you moved in. Lets try and be a bit more polite shall we.
Please don't believe all you hear about the aggressive Black Bears in British Columbia.
Here are two photos to show that most bears will wait to be served.

And with this I'm outta here for 2 weeks, see you all later !
Be good and if you can't, don't get caught![]
Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Is he not a patient brute?

You can almost think he is human with that pose, so comfortable. How about the lady who was about to become one of his compatriot's dinner?

Agree people need to be more bear aware and reduce the food attractions which keep them around.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Summit Master

Love those pics!!! Makes me want to go up and pet him!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

He must be at that place WS likes sooo much... The Jolly Miller Pub wasn't it?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by darrenbell

He must be at that place WS likes sooo much... The Jolly Miller Pub wasn't it?
Now all what is needed, is to give him an old fashioned picnic basket.

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

looks like he is waiting for his burger and fries, and chocolate shake ! [8D]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I've heard that bears are lousy tippers.

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

-----
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:43 PM

I say,"Never bite the hand that feeds you" [:X]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Summit Master

Its just plain rude taking pics of your clients,without getting them a drink and snack first
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I agree with you Russ. We've had the odd bear early on in Promontory Heights as well. Same thing, we live in an area that was once forest. Too bad though that the very thing that provokes bears to enter our living spaces in the first place (left out food, bird feeders, etc) are left out of the news camera's eye.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

Too bad though that the very thing that provokes bears to enter our living spaces in the first place (left out food, bird feeders, etc) are left out of the news camera's eye.
This is a little off topic and the source has always been word of mouth but it is something that has always upset me.

The year before I moved to Mackenzie would have been 1995, and the municipal dump had just installed an electric fence around the dump that year. I have been told that after the fence was installed that as many as 38 bears were destroyed that year, both at the dump and in town. As I said, this has been "word of mouth", but I would suspect some of it to be the truth.

Either way, it is a sad thing to know that because of our lack of concern or so called "superior intelligence", once wild animals are lowered to feed on our garbage the price they must pay is with their lives.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

You mentioned Aggressive Bears, so I will show you a video I seen the other day, of a bear charging a hunter that was unbelievable.

Warning Bear Hunting Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7-UdGc

post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

That video was discusting! Why doesn't anyone know about Karelian bear dogs????????? I wish someone with some money or influence would do something about the needless slaughter of over 1000 bears a year in BC,not including road kill or HUNTING!!! Every bear I have ever encountered ( at least a couple of dozen) has left the area,if not outright run away from the ""stupid people".Lol...Maybe I don't get charged at cause I'm not shooting at them?It's a well known fact that the grizzlys near Canal Flats BC actually run TO the sound of riffles and steal the kill from hunters.Thats our fault too!!!! My bears are always cool[8D]Maybe my bears are friends with your bear Hiker
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Bear bangers, and bear spray doesn't always work. When a bear is in FULL charge, there is a very good chance you won't get the bears face with bear spray.

You just never know when a cute cuddly bear on a trail can suddenly turn to a ferocious aggressive bear. Some people tend to think they are "OK" as long as they keep their distance of 100 yards or more, simply not the case. Also some think that because they have bear bangers, and bear spray that is ample protection.

I agree that bear bangers can actually get you into more trouble.
Although a bear banger MAY help, it should be a last resort (In my opinion). I'd like to see the tests and results how many grizlys run away from a bear banger, vs how many bears turn around and come at the person firing the bear banger. The bear banger could actually be used as a bear dinner bell.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Ed
Headed for the Mountains

Hi Darren I lived in Mackenzie in the late 70's early 80's, worked for the city as well as BCAS. I remeber many people driving to the open dump just to watch the bears. They pretty well kept to the dump while it was open. I moved out in '85 long before the there was even a traffic light.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by darrenbell

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

Too bad though that the very thing that provokes bears to enter our living spaces in the first place (left out food, bird feeders, etc) are left out of the news camera's eye.
This is a little off topic and the source has always been word of mouth but it is something that has always upset me.

The year before I moved to Mackenzie would have been 1995, and the municipal dump had just installed an electric fence around the dump that year. I have been told that after the fence was installed that as many as 38 bears were destroyed that year, both at the dump and in town. As I said, this has been "word of mouth", but I would suspect some of it to be the truth.

Either way, it is a sad thing to know that because of our lack of concern or so called "superior intelligence", once wild animals are lowered to feed on our garbage the price they must pay is with their lives.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page