Olympic Mascot Joke - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

oMG do I hate those beavers. After I saw the first ad i decided I would never buy a Bell phone. Ever.

Same deal with Sleep Country. Hate the ads so much I will never shop in the store!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Why buy a mattress anywhere else Dru?

On a more positive note though, I claim the distinction of being THE FIRST seller to post those three freak mascots on Ebay. Looks like a nice little profit is coming my way
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

Quote:
quote:Vancouver 2010's commercial-rights cops are investigating eBay sales of Olympic mascots at higher- than-retail prices.

"Our commercial rights group monitors it quite closely on eBay, if they see anybody crossing the line," Caley Denton, 2010's vice-president of ticketing and consumer marketing , said yesterday.
Article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Dax
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Kayaking, Mtn Biking, Skiing, Snowshoeing, Climbing, RC Flying, Computers. Collecting expensive backpacking gear.

Screw that, it's called capitalism for a reason. There are no laws stating you can't buy low, then sell high.

The IOC are a bunch of fascists if you ask me. They already finished screwing over the Olympic Pizza place that has been in operation for 10 years before we even applied to host the games, now they have to move on to screwing the little guy trying to make a few bucks on e-bay.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dax

Screw that, it's called capitalism for a reason. There are no laws stating you can't buy low, then sell high.
Actually, it's called scalping and there are laws against it in some provinces and US states. I am not sure about BC.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Dax
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Kayaking, Mtn Biking, Skiing, Snowshoeing, Climbing, RC Flying, Computers. Collecting expensive backpacking gear.

There are no anti-scalping laws on the books in BC. Ontario and Alberta *do* have anti-scalping legislation, but there is no federal (Canada wide) laws prohibiting scalping. And all of the anti-scalping laws that I am aware of only pertain to event tickets.

The cops will harass you for selling tickets on GM/BC place property though. They only get away with that because the tickets say "not for resale" on them, and they like to think that by purchasing a ticket you automatically agree to their terms and conditions without needing to sign anything. This is demonstratively false and would never stand up in court.

Either way, if you didn't sign an agreement at HBC not to sell this item on e-bay, they can't do shit all about it. These articles are merely their way of scaring away others from doing it.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

sounded to me more like they were getting down on any false advertising like get the last quatchi here for 100$ when there are many at the bay and such
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 PM

At first i thought the mascots were pathetic, but after looking at the mascots from other games I can only conclude that Olympic Organizing Committees really have no taste at all. These mascots are still pathetic but no more so than any other Olympic mascots.

As to the fascist IOC and the whole Olympic Game fiasco....I don't want to go there.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:

There are no anti-scalping laws on the books in BC. Ontario and Alberta *do* have anti-scalping legislation, but there is no federal (Canada wide) laws prohibiting scalping. And all of the anti-scalping laws that I am aware of only pertain to event tickets.

The cops will harass you for selling tickets on GM/BC place property though. They only get away with that because the tickets say "not for resale" on them, and they like to think that by purchasing a ticket you automatically agree to their terms and conditions without needing to sign anything. This is demonstratively false and would never stand up in court.

Either way, if you didn't sign an agreement at HBC not to sell this item on e-bay, they can't do shit all about it. These articles are merely their way of scaring away others from doing it.
No argument from me there - but it is still technically scalping and still a questionable practice in my view. Personally, I'm not into intentionally ripping people off even if it is stupid of them to be willing to pay a huge amount of money for a stuffed toy (or a concert or hockey game). I also don't want to be a part of the rampant consumerism associated with it. I don't think I could live my life so cynically. It's a shame that so many do.

post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Dax
Off the Beaten Path

Are you saying I'm cynical? heh

I'm not condoning ripping people off on e-bay. Just saying that this is just another case of bullying by the IOC. I also have issues with private organizations trying to tell me what I can and can't do, but thats just me.

That being said, if you lived in say... Japan, and wanted one of these dolls/toys/mascots whatever you want to call them it's not like you could walk into the Bay and buy one. Paying a 10%-25% markup from someone on e-bay may be your only option.

Just a thought.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Ed
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SuperTwink

Quote:

No argument from me there - but it is still technically scalping and still a questionable practice in my view. Personally, I'm not into intentionally ripping people off even if it is stupid of them to be willing to pay a huge amount of money for a stuffed toy (or a concert or hockey game). I also don't want to be a part of the rampant consumerism associated with it. I don't think I could live my life so cynically. It's a shame that so many do.

Really? You do not want to be part of the rampant consumerism? Forgive me if I am more than a little surpised since in 2006 you were catching ling cod on a trip "right next" to a closed area and then using tin foil to cook it. While you likely did pack out your tin foil was this product necessary or did you fall into the droves of consumers who use it for convenience? Of course there is size restrictions on ling cod and a fishing license which I am sure were also properly filled out. Don't throw out stones unless you are squeaky clean.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Snap!
post #28 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SuperTwink

Quote:

Really? You do not want to be part of the rampant consumerism? Forgive me if I am more than a little surpised since in 2006 you were catching ling cod on a trip "right next" to a closed area and then using tin foil to cook it. While you likely did pack out your tin foil was this product necessary or did you fall into the droves of consumers who use it for convenience? Of course there is size restrictions on ling cod and a fishing license which I am sure were also properly filled out. Don't throw out stones unless you are squeaky clean.
Wow, having a bad day? I didn't accuse anyone of anything so you might want to relax a bit. I was simply having a friendly exchange of opinion with a fellow ClubTread member. I did not accuse Dax of anything or of doing anything immoral. I simply stated MY OPINION.

If I truly need to defend myself here 1. I wasn't the fisherman 2. the person who was had a valid license and was fishing in an open area, and 3. yes, it was packed out.

What is your problem?
post #29 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Dax
Off the Beaten Path

Ok everyone. Breathe in, breathe out. Ahhh, thats better.

In all fairness I don't think you can compare using tin foil with purchasing a $40 teddy-bear mascot for an international pissing content. I think that would be the distinction between consumerism and rampant consumerism.

No need to start a flame war, I think Ed just needed to vent.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:if you lived in say... Japan, and wanted one of these dolls/toys/mascots whatever you want to call them it's not like you could walk into the Bay and buy one. Paying a 10%-25% markup from someone on e-bay may be your only option.
Actually what you do is buy it on line from the Bay..

http://www.hbc.com/mascots.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page