User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Love a mystery ?

Leechtown Spanish Caves

Date: 1973
Informant:
Source: condensed from Lazeo, L. Lost Treasure in British Columbia. Victoria, B. C.: L. Lazeo, 1973. 34.

During a fruitless hunting trip, in the bush near the Jordan Meadows area of southern Vancouver Island, a man named Mullard decides to take a shortcut home. While pushing through thick undergrowth he begins to decend some steps cut into the rock. The steps lead into a large cavern in which there is a rusted shovel, a badly mildewed, leather-bound book, a hand-forged pick, and two, 1" thick bars of gold, 3" long by 1.5", inscribed ORO and dated 1799. Seven steps lead down into a second cavern that has four feet of water covering its floor.

On the way home Mullard is caught in a storm from which he catches pneumonia of which he dies some months later. According to written sources Mullard leaves a letter locating the caves; a tree carved with the initials EM has been found somewhere in the bush; and to add authenticity to the Spanish aspect of the legend, a Spanish bronze cannon is embedded in rough concrete on a bluff overlooking the closest harbour to the lost caves. Also, an old Spanish naval sword has been found in the area. Two hunters came across the skeleton of a horse draped over a stone cairn near the Sooke potholes, and many Spanish, blown-glass bottles have been unearthed in the area.

----------------------------------------
"No Trail is Long with Good Company"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:19 PM

Hmmm...interesting. Any more info? Please post no further info to this thread...e-mail it to me instead [] [)]

Is it the islands version of Slumach's mine?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Hiker

Leechtown Spanish Caves

Date: 1973
Informant:
Source: condensed from Lazeo, L. Lost Treasure in British Columbia. Victoria, B. C.: L. Lazeo, 1973. 34.

During a fruitless hunting trip, in the bush near the Jordan Meadows area of southern Vancouver Island, a man named Mullard decides to take a shortcut home. While pushing through thick undergrowth he begins to decend some steps cut into the rock. The steps lead into a large cavern in which there is a rusted shovel, a badly mildewed, leather-bound book, a hand-forged pick, and two, 1" thick bars of gold, 3" long by 1.5", inscribed ORO and dated 1799. Seven steps lead down into a second cavern that has four feet of water covering its floor.

On the way home Mullard is caught in a storm from which he catches pneumonia of which he dies some months later. According to written sources Mullard leaves a letter locating the caves; a tree carved with the initials EM has been found somewhere in the bush; and to add authenticity to the Spanish aspect of the legend, a Spanish bronze cannon is embedded in rough concrete on a bluff overlooking the closest harbour to the lost caves. Also, an old Spanish naval sword has been found in the area. Two hunters came across the skeleton of a horse draped over a stone cairn near the Sooke potholes, and many Spanish, blown-glass bottles have been unearthed in the area.

"No Trail is Long with Good Company"

Hell, I think it would be cool enough just to find the cannon
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Summit Master

(LOL looks like someone posted these links before i finished typing.. :P)

Here is some more fun:

http://www.theoutlaws.com/gold8.htm

Quote:
quoteocumentation for the most famous legend concerning this addit used to be found in a Mineral Titles display case before it was removed from public viewing in the late 1980's. In this display, which I viewed in the mid 1980s, was a story concerning a scaler for Mac-Blo who quit his job in 1928 after finding a cave carved from bedrock with steps leading into it cut from the country rock. Inside the cave entrance he reported finding bones with leather, and deeper into the cave two stacked pyramids of gold bullion knee high and a yard long.
and

http://www.magma.ca/~sandvold/Treasure/seven.htm

Quote:
quote:Heading back to camp, Mullard elbowed his way through chest-high salal. Suddenly, the prospector made a startling discovery -- he was descending a staircase in the brush. Shouldering aside the salal for a better view in the failing light, Mullard found himself facing an oblong hole in the cliffside.
Quote:
quote:
Upon hearing Harris' story, the Colonist had agreed to sponsor an official expedition, on the basis of seven clues which Harris had gleaned from his conversation with Mullard:

* The area is between Leechtown and Jordan Meadows;
* It is somewhere along a shorter route than the regular trail between the two, because Mullard spoke of a shortcut home;
* It is at the foot of huge rock bluffs;
* It is on ground that isn't very steep, for the opening is almost horizontal;
* It is among heavy undergrowth on shallow soil, for it was overgrown although cut into granite;
* It is a substantial distance from Leechtown, for Mullard spoke of hoping to get to the site and out again in one day, but being prepared for a two-day trip, just in case;
* It is in high country, for he mentioned it overlooked Jordan Meadows.

Using Mullard's seven clues and aerial survey photos, organizers narrowed down the target area to the southwest face of Survey Mountain. This, because "the only rock bluffs (remembering Mullard's description) of any consequence" are to be found here. "At the foot of the bluffs is a shoulder -- at about the 2700 foot level -- roughly 100 to 200 yards wide and several miles long.

It belongs in a museum!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

These stories sound even less probable than Raven 13's Pitt River Sasquatch.

Mostly the people who start legends of lost treasure are the ones selling treasure maps, and treasure books. Just vague enough to make it seem plausible that something could be there, that no one has found yet.

We need our own version of the Oak Island Money Pit.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:31 PM
Banned

Hmmm....well I heard there's some caves near Chilliwack, perhaps we could start our own "urban legend"!

Pop can stove-making hiker wannabe that drives a tiddler to trailheads!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:38 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TheShadow

Hmmm....well I heard there's some caves near Chilliwack, perhaps we could start our own "urban legend"!
In the late 1790's a french explorer by the name "wendy mcdonald" buried countless treasures in a small cave in what is now known as the Chilliwack River Valley.

Unfortinately for her, the cave was originally the site of an cursed indian burial ground. Rumor has it that exactially one year later as she returned to get her gold, a rabid chipmunk bit and killed her - the curse of the chipmunk caves.

I'm not much of a <s>writer</s> err historian, LOL.

Oh, by the way Dru, I'm selling treasure maps to the location, in case you are interested [}][}][8D][8D]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:41 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

How do you know Wendy McDonald? I went to elementary school with her

1797 huh? She must have found one of those time machines for sale on eBay.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:50 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Chipmunks,squirrels[}]They're evil,I tell ya[]They are making a fortune off of all these maps to secret location...
And here's what they are doing with all the money
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 10:48 AM

Treasure maps to this location for the highest bidder. Starting at $100. Any takers?[] In my opinion, Raven 13's Sasquatch probably took all the treasure.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:00 AM

Dru grow up you know i am right...

One day, i don't care how or howlong i will prove it to you.
PeakClimber, you with me?!

...Didn't the Spanish have a fort on Cape Flattery, Washington?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 12:44 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Ead Mullard Spanish cave Jordan Meadows

The story of a Spanish cutlass (sword ) found is very true ,because I'm holding that sword in my hand ! My father found it in Jordan Meadows over 50 yrs ago ,it is cool ,I grew up using it for halloween . Wasn't till a while ago I read about it in the story of Mullards story,must be more to the lost cave because I've got the sword and know it's true story !!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Banned

Legend of the 'Spanish Mound' ......... from the Keremeos Valley
Has a little more verify-able evidence ......

Good stories! Haven't heard of the legend in the OP's thread ....... good stuff
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:58 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Regardless , if you believe the legend or not , Leech river watershed is a fantastic area to explore. Be prepared to see several bears, and if you are lucky cougar or a wolf . I will to give it one more try in mid May. 3 - 4 days.
Anybody interested ? You can meet me April 22, in Sooke Hills around campfire at Shields Lake campground https://www.reddit.com/r/VictoriaBC/...e_sooke_hills/

Last edited by trailcutter; 01-29-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page