H/FC/C = Hope / Fraser Canyon / Coquihalla Yak peak Sept. 24 2021 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jaaklucas

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2021, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Yak peak Sept. 24 2021

The end of September and the weather was about to change for the worse so we made the drive from Vancouver up the Coquihalla for a day trip to Zopkios ridge. After parking at the lot we had to walk east down the highway for 15 minutes or so to reach the trailhead. Hopefully someone will rough in a trail off the road so you dont have to walk on the busy highway truck entrance and highway. After crossing the lower drainage of the ridge we ascended through the forest where you eventually come to an obvious boulder chute with markers going up. This leads directly to the iconic south face of Yak that you see from the highway. Then you follow the bottom of the face east and up to enter the upper ridge. Yak can be seen there straight ahead as you ascend the open drainage. It is behind the bump which is the top of the south face. There were massive amounts of late season blueberries here.
There was no snow yet so our timing was right. We brought our crampons and axes but left it all in the car. It turned out to be a warm end of summer day there. Yak peak itself from there is an easy ascent up the rocks on the south side of Yak where a trail is marked. To the east the ridge carries on and I could see another days worth of ridge rambling in the future. We carried on across the ridge to Nak peak. There we watched below as two mountain goats established territory amongst themselves in an orderly fashion over a half an hour. As we looked south at the sun in the blue sky we saw a sun dog, a ring around the sun. This is caused by ice crystals in the upper atmosphere I believe. After overnighting at Flatiron this summer I came to understand that this area is the end of the line for all the coastal moisture carried up by the strong orographic winds around here.
This is a super little day hike and I was surprised how quick it was to get up, 2 1/4 hours from the car. No real exposure unless there was snow and the mixed nature of the route up and down makes it interesting for using hands, etc. Glad we got out that day as October has been a washout here on the coast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entrance.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	289554  

Name:	Boulder chute.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	289556  

Name:	Base of the face.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	289558  

Name:	The face.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	289560  

Name:	Up on the ridge.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	289562  

Name:	Alot of  blueberries.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	289564  

Name:	Mountain goat.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	289566  

martin and solo75 like this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 11-13-2021 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Add H/FC/C prefix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2021, 08:44 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Great pics and it is cool that you got to see mountain goats! I hear over in the Olympics they are trying to get rid of them, I think they have too many.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2021, 12:25 AM
Summit Master

I like TR and pics too!

Speaking about 'getting rid of animals': There is this super neat place at Port Renfrew on Van Island, called "Botanical Beach"; it's at north end of Juan De Fuca Marine trail, with famous tide pools and out-of-this-world scenery. For years there was resident black bear, didn't bother anyone just went about its business. But "Covid born hikers" baiting animal for pics are changing that and basically signed its death warrant. BC Parks tried to catch/relocate the animal but it didn't work. It's only question of the day when it will have to be put away now. Read more here:

https://www.cheknews.ca/future-of-bo...sitors-692963/

Sorry, bit off-topic but makes me sick to my stomach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2021, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Speaking about 'getting rid of animals': There is this super neat place at Port Renfrew on Van Island, called "Botanical Beach"; it's at north end of Juan De Fuca Marine trail, with famous tide pools and out-of-this-world scenery. For years there was resident black bear, didn't bother anyone just went about its business. But "Covid born hikers" baiting animal for pics are changing that and basically signed its death warrant. BC Parks tried to catch/relocate the animal but it didn't work. It's only question of the day when it will have to be put away now.
I know Botanical beach. My son grew up with his mom in Victoria and I used to take him there as a youngster in the winter. Wander the tidepools, see the aquatic life. I read that 14 black bears in the Pacific Rim area were put down this year. The example that sticks in my head are the coyotes in Stanley park that were definitely being fed for photos. And probably the biggest recent story of animals and humans interaction negatively are the orcas off the coast of Spain attacking boats. Are they fed up? The reason I love animals in the wild is that nothing happens by accident. From their physical characteristics to their culture, it is all by the design of evolution purified for survival.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page