FV = Fraser Valley Mt. MacDonald - July 29th, 2021 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 4 Post By 5thhorseman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2021, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Alright, here's my first attempt to upload photos from my phone and then edit on the desktop. So far so good.

I'm starting to get back into pretty good shape and hiking about once or twice a week. I'd done Webb before but not MacDonald so thought why not cross this one off my list. I still haven't fixed my bike so only have gears 7, 14 and 21. Gear 7 would have to do as I really like using the bike to reduce the approach time (only about 3km in this case). I'm clearly not in Spectrum's league yet [IMG class=inlineimg]/images/ClubTread_2014/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

Mt. MacDonald (or MacDonald Peak according to AllTrails) is 21.6 km return with an elevation gain of 1769m. The trail up to Radium Lake has similar stats as up to Pierce Lake. About two hours to Radium / Lower Pierce Lake, and another hour to the col / Upper Pierce Lake.

Here's Radium Lake. It's actually more like a pond. Didn't see any fish rising.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210729_112616_1627766610583.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	287910

Took me 1h55m to the lake, another 45m to the col, and an 1h thereafter to the peak. Total time 3h40m. Views up there are incredible. You can see everything from the Cheam Range to Bear, Redoubt, Nodoubt, Border Peaks, Shuksan, Baker, Ears, Robie Reid, Howay, and the Chehalis Range. You could probably see more if it wasn't so hazy. We really need some rain soon.

Name:	20210729_132602_Pano_1627766652626.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	287912

Mt. Lindeman due south.

Name:	20210729_132624_1627766755961.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	600.4 KB
ID:	287914

Rexford from the back side. The long Northeast ridge (the one on the right) is very appealing.

Name:	20210729_132633_1627766807404.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	662.3 KB
ID:	287916

Here's me on the summit. Lots of flying bugs around right on the top for some strange reason; a phenomenon I've encountered on at least one other summit in the Chilliwack River Valley.

Name:	20210729_132820_1627766853808.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	287918

I haven't seen a large toad like this in a long time and I just had to pick him up. I used to see frogs galore when I was a kid hiking with my dad almost 50 years ago. Don't see to many nowadays.

Name:	20210729_160846_1627766928225.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	657.1 KB
ID:	287922

Nice view of Williams peak from along the trail. Not sure why the photo is sideways as it was correct on my phone.

Name:	20210729_153955~3_1627781677005.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	287944

On the way up I was moving almost all the time with hardly any breaks, so was pretty spent by the top. No surprise then that the descent time was almost the same as ascent.

All in all a nice hike with some decent scrambling. A bit longer than Webb but more enjoyable mainly due to all the loose gravel on Webb as I remember it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210729_153955~3_1627781595802.jpg
Views:	4
ID:	287940  

Name:	20210729_153955~3_1627781650959.jpg
Views:	4
ID:	287942  

Last edited by 5thhorseman; 07-31-2021 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2021, 06:37 PM
Summit Master

Great stuff; envious on your relatively clear skies, because it's all smoke and haze over there. McDonald is not an easy trip & you need to be quite fit to do it as day trip

Re sideways photo: Image files have headers that tell viewers whether photo should be shown in portrait or landscape mode. For variety of reasons, phone cameras don't always properly insert that header, so viewers -such as CT software- don't know how to show photo and assume default - landscape. Solution? Rotate photos manually on computer before uploading. Since this is likely not what you want, or have time to do, you can try messing with phone settings. Basically phone software (that includes camera) needs to "know" it is in portrait mode. It determines that based on accelerometer sensor measurements. This is the same like when you are reading some text on the phone, rotate phone and text rotates as well. On Android there is "Auto-rotate screen" setting for that purpose, so make sure this is turned on (other systems like iPhone have something similar). I never post pics taken by phone, but will now play a bit with this as it is common problem many people have.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2021, 07:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post

Nice view of Williams peak from along the trail. Not sure why the photo is sideways as it was correct on my phone.
I used to have this problem posting vertical pics via my phone. I have found that if I crop the height, even slightest, it will post vertical. If I don't touch it, it posts horizontal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2021, 07:46 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
I used to have this problem posting vertical pics via my phone. I have found that if I crop the height, even slightest, it will post vertical. If I don't touch it, it posts horizontal.

I just confirmed this by posting test image in one of my reports from the phone.
What this means is -- when taking pic, phone camera doesn't insert proper header. But when you invoke editor software to crop, it does when saving cropped file.

That is probably practical solution for phone users; after taking portrait pic with phone camera crop slightly, delete original and it will be good.

Dumb phones :=)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2021, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
I just confirmed this by posting test image in one of my reports from the phone.
What this means is -- when taking pic, phone camera doesn't insert proper header. But when you invoke editor software to crop, it does when saving cropped file.

That is probably practical solution for phone users; after taking portrait pic with phone camera crop slightly, delete original and it will be good.

Dumb phones :=)
I had cropped the photo (in both directions) but it was still oriented incorrectly.

Maybe because I have auto-rotate off the camera doesn't have the info so just uses a default of landscape.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2021, 09:21 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
I had cropped the photo (in both directions) but it was still oriented incorrectly.

Maybe because I have auto-rotate off the camera doesn't have the info so just uses a default of landscape.

I just tested on my phone with auto-rotate off & it was still ok. Problem is somewhere in phone camera/editor software - I tried these sideways photos in at least 5 different image editors on Desktop & it was always wrong (not just in CT).

Problem is that there are so many different mobile models today of all ages, so it is hard to find trick that automatically works for all. Only solution that works 100% is to rotate portrait images on PC at home and re-upload when adding text to draft. But it's a drag, would be nice to finish everything on mobile while taking pic
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2021, 09:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Nice trip, I love most of the peaks out off that Chilliwack Valley road! and good to know about just cropping the Iphone pics. My android never has problems with sideways but when I upload my friends Iphone ones it looks normal on my desktop and then when I upload it, it goes sideways. If all I have to do is crop it abit on my desktop I can manage that.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2021, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Well I managed to fix it by turning auto-rotate on before I cropped the photo.

I tested cropping while holding the phone in both landscape and portrait orientations but that didn't make a difference. It appears the phone's photo editor was able to pick up the original orientation once the auto-rotate was enabled.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it but at least a I can now post from the phone easily. Now to do the text by voice only ...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2021, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Nice trip, I love most of the peaks out off that Chilliwack Valley road! and good to know about just cropping the Iphone pics. My android never has problems with sideways but when I upload my friends Iphone ones it looks normal on my desktop and then when I upload it, it goes sideways. If all I have to do is crop it abit on my desktop I can manage that.
Yeah there's a lot of leg burners in that valley.

I don't know what phone John is using but my problems were on Android.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2021, 10:23 PM
Summit Master

Ya, and these Android geeks see no sunshine but dish out new software versions every second month. "New and improved"; fix one thing, but break 2 others. First thing I do with any software, desktop laptop or phone is turn auto updates off if it all works. Don't fix what ain't broken.

But glad you found what works for you. This thread became too geeky, takes away from great TR. Love that area, been 8 yrs from last visit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page