7Likes
  • 5 Post By oldmatt
  • 1 Post By John and Katie
  • 1 Post By oldmatt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2021, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Deeks Pk North Bowl May6/21

I have done a trip report on this a few years ago, but the route is such an untravelled gem that I am doing another one. Drove up Thurdsay morning, the Porteau parking lot was completely empty. Go left at the top of the first hill (backtrack a bit if you are using the alternate start to the HSCT), then head right old road and up to the blockage. The Lost Lake shelter folks have put in 4 very nice shortcuts minimizing the distance to the hut.
Click image for larger version

Name:	lost lake shelter.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	286598

Gain the rock slide on the left, traverse across into the valley. Local residents are also active in the area.

Name:	deeks prints.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	894.8 KB
ID:	286600

The snow was fairly hard in the AM and there were no snow cups. The route I take is the chute to the far right.

Name:	Deeks North bowl.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	596.1 KB
ID:	286610

My 4-pointers were great, although a lot of the side footing only contacted the 2 points on one side. I hadnít expected the ice sheen covering the snow in the chute.

Name:	looking down in chute.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	286606

Once out in the sun again, a part of the boot could dig into the snow. My pictures here arenít good as the camera oversaturated on the brightness. It looked way better in reality.

Name:	exiting chute.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	800.9 KB
ID:	286604

Found some snowshoe tracks once on the ridge, they had come up the Sunday before. After a short peak break, I headed down the west ridge (bypass trail). It is a series of steep snowfields at this time of year, and I had to use my ice axe to modulate speed on the bum descents. Last picture is at a bench before heading down into the trees. I read that John and Katie went up that trail the weekend before, but there was no trace of their tracks at all.

Name:	descent views.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	286602

Someone has reflagged the lower 2/3 of the trail, so it is getting some activity. I had lost motivation to complete clearing the bushes near the top once the gate went in, but maybe I will go back this summer and finish it off.
All in all, a slow 9 hour round trip loop on a perfect day, with only the last 20 minutes retracing steps.

Last edited by oldmatt; 06-08-2021 at 10:46 AM. Reason: changed GE pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2021, 04:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

As usual, another cool trip from old oldmatt. Ya, there would be no way you would see any of our tracks in the snow along the bypass trail after that hot weather. Snow was pretty hard for us until up on the ridge, so we weren't leaving much of anything, except for toe kicks.
russellcoffin likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2021, 04:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Wow that looks like a ton of fun. I'm not a skier but I could see that being a fun loop in the winter going down that couloir of sorts.

Have you had a chance to make it around the ridge of this bowl to the east? There are some high points and true peaks with 100m+ prominence and some fun scrambling in the summer. The Bagger Challenge has given them temporary names related to whiskey: Ardberg (DNE 1) Lagavulin (DNE 2) and Laphroaig (DNE 3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2021, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I skied the loop once many years ago. We were able to ski out on the old Kallahne road, but I think the alder is too big now, so the route out would have a lot more walking. The Lost Lake shelter does sometimes get used as a base for winter skiing.
I havent explored the area to the east yet. The peaty names are great.
russellcoffin likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page