SC/GI = Sunshine Coast & Gulf Islands Tribute to Dick Culbert - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 4 Post By xj6response
  • 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2021, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Tribute to Dick Culbert

Technically this isn't much of a TR but I thought it of interest to update CT on the Mt Elphinstone summit trail. I haven't been up there since Oct 2019 but with a beautiful crisp sunny morning I decided a quick dash to the 2/3 of the way mark would be in order, before the wet, mucky snow starts. On the way I encountered the recently placed, wonderful tribute to Dick Culbert the legendary BC mountaineer who was instrumental in building the Mt Elphinstone summit trail. Here's a picture for interest sake.

Well over a decade ago I was venturing up that way and wondered who was placing yellow metal trail markers along a new, actual trail bed. In 1984 I was the forest engineer who established boundaries and road/bridge designs for the now regenerated cutblock that one crosses near the last push to the summit. It was a total surprise when I returned many years later only to find Dick Culbert building this wonderful trail. I had the pleasure of several fascinating conversations with him up on the slopes of that local mountain.

Here, on the Sunshine Coast we remain ever so grateful for Dick and Peter's hard work and dedication to the Mt Elphinstone summit trail. From a handful of locals hiking up there a dozen years ago to today with many hundreds of hikers every season, the trail, like Dick himself, is a local legend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dick culbert plaque.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	286102  

Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2021, 12:49 AM
Summit Master

Always nice to see your post pop up. I regret being on Elphinstone just once, there is lots to explore
You still haven't moved to the Island then?
xj6response likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2021, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Always nice to see your post pop up. I regret being on Elphinstone just once, there is lots to explore
You still haven't moved to the Island then?
Hey ya, Zelj .... no, we are still on the sunshine coast. We've been looking at property on the central island (north Nanaimo to Qualicum) but the market is ridiculous, even frantic. Prices have exploded just as they have where we live but there's very little good inventory to look at. A handful of places we were interested in were sold in less than one day, with multiple offers, over asking price. I'm sure it would be the same if we sold our place but then finding a place on the island is very difficult. The realtor we are dealing with has three client families that are living in hotels trying to find a place. We aren't in a position of needing to sell. So we're not inclined to jump into the real estate craziness.

Maybe the market will quiet down a bit in the summer and if so we'll probably look again.

How are things in Canmore area?

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2021, 02:10 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post

Maybe the market will quiet down a bit in the summer and if so we'll probably look again.

How are things in Canmore area?

Similar in terms of real estate. Realtor profession, which is parasitic by nature, is one that really profited from this situation. Low rates + more and more people working remotely & wanted to escape cities. One specific here is zoning; in ultra-high demand are condos that can be rented short-term. They just fly off the market higher than they were listed for.

The other day I cycled to Three Sisters and every time it seems border towards Dead Man Flats has expanded for another km. Low quality pancake condos and townhouses, like mushrooms after rain. There are now signs all over Canmore "Stop TSMV Development" (TSMV = Three Sisters Mountain Village), but of course nobody listens.
xj6response likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 05-22-2021 at 02:13 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2021, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Similar in terms of real estate. Realtor profession, which is parasitic by nature, is one that really profited from this situation. Low rates + more and more people working remotely & wanted to escape cities. One specific here is zoning; in ultra-high demand are condos that can be rented short-term. They just fly off the market higher than they were listed for.
That's a familiar story everywhere it seems. Even in towns on the Island like Campbell River, development is sprawling to accommodate swelling demand. There's not much high density housing surge on the Sunshine Coast but i'm sure it will happen.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page