User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By oldmatt
  • 1 Post By oldmatt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2021, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Hello Newman creek loop

This bluebird week gave lots of incentive to explore some more. This loop is absolutely fantastic above the 800 m elevation. However, one has to also do the 2 lower 800 m legs, which will not make this a popular route. The route I took goes up the N ridge of Newman, tops out at the HSCT a bit south of the Unnecessary crossroads, heads south to St Marks, and returns down the S ridge of Newman. The loop is perfect in that not one single step is crossed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hellonewman.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	285532

Name:	viewofroute.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	285534

A GE view from the west

Name:	newman loop GE.gif
Views:	21
Size:	959.1 KB
ID:	285536

I started on the N side park spot of Newman, there is a trail there, once you reach the waterfall, that heads up a steep ridge and reaches the old logging road at about 400m. This trail is very well laid out, on a rough and difficult ridge. It may have been put in by a loner, as there is a small campsite about half way up. I think I am the only one using it these days, as it was useful to get to the trail head of the Mountain Abyss Traverse. The trailhead is on that logging road which is part of the far southerly edge of the Erin Moore trail.
Once on the old road, follow an immediate RH hairpin, cut off a LH hairpin by scrambling up a washout (flagged), continue around a second RH mossy hairpin and continue up past the trailhead and up to the Erin Moore. Back up 20 m, head up and south on a tributary road that is quite grown over. Shortly will see a boulder slope, head up to upper end. Great views from my first stop.

Name:	firstview.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	285538

Curl around cliffs to the left, past this guy.

Name:	oldgnarledtree.jpg
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	285540

Pick up the flagging to get past the next cliff band, finding a flat field of dense trees. The flagging gets one past these small cliff and heavy woods areas.

Name:	minicliffs.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	285542

Name:	deeksnoflag.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	285544

Head up the draw directly in front, also with spaced flagging until you get to an open mossy landing. Some views on the side. Found snow at 750m.

Name:	firstsnow.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	285546

From here, you are on the ridge, head up. There are a few obstacles, I will let future hikers enjoy the decision making process on which way to go around.

Name:	typicalstep.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1,002.1 KB
ID:	285548

Name:	ridgewalkforest.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	285550

A beard longer than the urban ones.

Name:	thatsnobeard.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	285552

There is a fantastic view point at about 1250m on a small down-sloping dead end spur.

Name:	stmarksfrom1250viewpoint.jpg
Size:	660.1 KB
ID:	285554

The top out is lots of fun, getting up to 50 deg or so. Exposure is high, but the conditions were perfect for me.

Name:	isthisthetop.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	285556

Name:	tantalusviewtotheside.jpg
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	285558

Once on the ridge, a quick look around, no others in the area other than about a half dozen sun-baked touring tracks. Most of the HSCT markers are still under snow. Got a nice view of the Lions while heading back up St Marks.

Name:	lions.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	285560

I found my entry point to the St Marks west ridge and went up top to see it. Arrow is the large scree slope that this route started on. The route is directly on the snow in plain sight.

Name:	ridgefromstmarks.jpg
Size:	664.6 KB
ID:	285562

After coming around under the top cliffs, St Marks really shows its steepness.

Name:	stmarksfrombelow.jpg
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	285564

A few more steps, and the view down is spectacular. The snow looked so smooth and steep and continuous, but it is also a huge debris chute.

Name:	snowedingouge.jpg
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	285566

I think great pics can be taken to show the real perspectives of this narrow spine, but this is the one I have.

Name:	spine.jpg
Size:	893.7 KB
ID:	285568

I came across these tracks near the top of the ridge. The owner of the paws went into a large tree one step further, I saw the tracks 20m below for another short distance. Any idea what it was?

Name:	tracks.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	562.7 KB
ID:	285570

Going down is much more challenging for navigation. I was here only a few weeks ago and still had some misdirection moments. Just before ducking into the heavy trees, got one more view.

Name:	southview.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	285572

So it took me 4.5 up, 2 across, and 3 hours down. I think a stronger party can do this in 8 or less hours. Here is another GE view that I really like.

Name:	Screenshotfromabove.gif
Size:	857.4 KB
ID:	285574
martin and Jaaklucas like this.

Last edited by oldmatt; 04-28-2021 at 12:10 AM. Reason: pics inserted with paper clip now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2021, 12:48 AM
Summit Master

Huge thumbs up YoungMatt! This ain't no cakewalk. And you did capture steepness quite well on that photo.
Tracks are from some sort of cat, but I am not expert. Someone will surely know more

(tip: use paperclip icon when inlining photos in text; avoids redundancy, i.e having them tacked at bottom of post)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2021, 08:42 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

You are putting up some fine reports for this area, I hope to enjoy them in a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2021, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

zeljkok: thanks for the tip, changed to paperclip now. Otherwise, thinking of changing my name to sorematt.

martin: the loop is better done by going up the south ridge and down the north. This provides for easier navigation coming down, as the south ridge has many spurs ending in cliff outs.
zeljkok likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2021, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I tried to repeat this loop last week with a start on the north side of Newman. All was fine until 900m, where I found blueberry bush hell up to the top-out at 1350. I would not recommend these upper ridges without snow cover unless you like that kind of stuff.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page