H/FC/C = Hope / Fraser Canyon / Coquihalla Sasquatch Peak & Mount Hicks March 4, 2021 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Spectrum
  • 2 Post By Spectrum
  • 1 Post By solo75

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2021, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Sasquatch Peak & Mount Hicks March 4, 2021

So aside from working on finishing the Scrambles book which I can't do much until the snowline rises, and working on the Top 51 SWBC Prominent Peaks list there is the P600m Prominence list which is so long it is never attainable to finish in a lifetime. When I can't do any of the first 2 having this list is quite handy as it gets you around to different areas and gives you something to do. Sasquatch Peak is on the list and right next door to the officially named Mount Hicks. They are nothing more than forested bumps in the grand scheme of things, but it does have some prominence so abit of effort and usually route finding is required. Blustry my previous report up the Fraser Canyon was a p600.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210305-112436_Strava.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	985.5 KB
ID:	285252

I could have went on a trip with Matt and Steve but I had said I would do a trip with Dawn earlier in the week and I don't like to bail on people just cause something better comes up. A day out is a day out. Unfortunately the Hicks Lake road to the campsite was still closed for the season so would have to attack it from the East. Katie and Marina did these 2 peaks a few weeks prior by driving in from the East and then hiking an old original trail past the lake. I had different plans and it would be a giant thrash straight up the powerline swath.

We parked my pickup in an old cutblock landing and realized the creek crossing was still too many meters down a very steep slope so we had to bushwack North abit until we popped into the next clublock over and followed a road down to the creek. It wasn't flowing that fast but there was no where to hop across so off come the shoes and socks.

Name:	20210304_084014route.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	285254

Name:	20210304_085801.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	285256

Once across the creek we are right under the powerlines staring up at our route. It looked nasty but hydro crews had been in semi recently chopping down all the alder. There was even a faint footbed at times that I was quite excited for at the start but then halfway up it went away and we had to thrash up some steep sections.

Name:	20210304_090607(0).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	285258

Name:	156391594_845231672697670_8010211385183016982_n.jpg
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	285260

Name:	20210304_095244.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	285262

Name:	20210304_095244.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	285262

When we arrived at the first tower, we said fuck this shit and bailed into the forest on the right hoping it wouldn't be too bad. Once we got in it turned out to be super open and really good travel.

Name:	20210304_101453.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	285264

We hit snowline in the forest and didn't bring snowshoes because I didn't think snow would be this low down but it was, we put the microspikes on for added traction and just grunted our way upto the summit of Sasquatch which has 1 viewpoint looking across towards Jones Lake.

Name:	20210304_110551.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	285266

Name:	20210304_113042.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	285268

So we came up the East side and now we would drop down the West side to start making our way towards Mount Hicks. The West side of Sasquatch is a bloody mess. It's steep, it's full of tight little trees and a majority of them are blown over creating a maze of blowdown to jump over or weave around.

Name:	20210304_115006.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	285270

Name:	155492675_209222014002486_1301778803796713674_n.jpg
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	285290

We were now in the flat col between the two and walking on more powerline roads. Eventually we just picked a spot to jump into the forest and aim for the highest contour. The ascent of this peak is nothing special, just a forest and blowdown and a summit without a view.

Name:	20210304_122016.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	285272

Name:	20210304_123139.jpg
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	285274

Name:	20210304_124336.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	285276

Name:	20210304_130504.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	285278

After leaving the summit we got back to the col and saw if we wanted to go down our initial powerline swath we would have to gain elevation and thrash up abit. I was having none of this and remembered seeing a new swath on google earth. We followed a newer road and it turns out it's a pipeline road. Some steep forest to descent and we popped out at a very steep road that was built up with blocks of rocks.

Name:	20210304_140723.jpg
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	285280

Name:	20210304_142026.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	285282

We followed this down to the creek, just walked through this time in a shoes and socks, hit the main road and walked it back for maybe just less than 2km to make a loop back to the truck to celebrate with a Cariboo.

Name:	20210304_144205.jpg
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	285284

Name:	20210304_150143route.jpg
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	285286

Name:	20210304_151157.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	285288
solo75 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2021, 02:46 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
So aside from working on finishing the Scrambles book which I can't do much until the snowline rises, and working on the Top 51 SWBC Prominent Peaks list there is the P600m Prominence list which is so long it is never attainable to finish in a lifetime.

There will be a point when you will realize how chasing lists and summits is pointless. First you can never get them all, and second and more important is that by chasing lists you are so focused on destination that you don't enjoy or even notice the journey. You have Song, think youngest ever to complete list of 11000' in Rockies; this is mind numbing achievement that demands nothing but utmost respect, but I doubt he enjoyed any of it. I've been to many areas he used for approach; these are places of utmost beauty you can simply sit and spend whole day being happy and doing nothing, yet he labels them as "boring" and "slogs" because of blind chase to put another notch in his belt

I was chasing Kane list (same as Gunn, but for Rockies) at a time; I stopped about 2/3 of the way when I realized this. Or to put it the other way: I find visit to Table Meadows and circumventing Garibaldi Lake much more rewarding outdoor experience than suffering trash up Helm peak, just because Helm is in Scrambles book. You are not there now, but you will be. Song might never though, unless he first climbs all the peaks on the planet

Great report, as always
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2021, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
There will be a point when you will realize how chasing lists and summits is pointless. First you can never get them all, and second and more important is that by chasing lists you are so focused on destination that you don't enjoy or even notice the journey. You have Song, think youngest ever to complete list of 11000' in Rockies; this is mind numbing achievement that demands nothing but utmost respect, but I doubt he enjoyed any of it. I've been to many areas he used for approach; these are places of utmost beauty you can simply sit and spend whole day being happy and doing nothing, yet he labels them as "boring" and "slogs" because of blind chase to put another notch in his belt

I was chasing Kane list (same as Gunn, but for Rockies) at a time; I stopped about 2/3 of the way when I realized this. Or to put it the other way: I find visit to Table Meadows and circumventing Garibaldi Lake much more rewarding outdoor experience than suffering trash up Helm peak, just because Helm is in Scrambles book. You are not there now, but you will be. Song might never though, unless he first climbs all the peaks on the planet

Great report, as always

You bring up some very good points that are valid. All I know is I will finish the book but it's not a #1 priority. Hence why you will still find me doing little trips like these and why it's taken me so long. If I have a good partner to go out with, I will just say sure let's go do this random peak, it's going to be sunny and enjoy their company and the day no matter how lowly the mountain is.

My girlfriend is more about just being out there and not peak driven, maybe she will rub off on me.
KARVITK and zeljkok like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2021, 12:28 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
You bring up some very good points that are valid. All I know is I will finish the book but it's not a #1 priority. Hence why you will still find me doing little trips like these and why it's taken me so long. If I have a good partner to go out with, I will just say sure let's go do this random peak, it's going to be sunny and enjoy their company and the day no matter how lowly the mountain is.

My girlfriend is more about just being out there and not peak driven, maybe she will rub off on me.

Thumbs up. To make clear, nothing wrong with bagging peaks, but there is just so much more one can get from outdoors specially with your fitness and ability. And yes, checking off Scrambles book will feel good; have it on your coffee table & when someone comes you say "hey I climbed all this" :=)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2021, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Thumbs up. To make clear, nothing wrong with bagging peaks, but there is just so much more one can get from outdoors specially with your fitness and ability. And yes, checking off Scrambles book will feel good; have it on your coffee table & when someone comes you say "hey I climbed all this" :=)

nah, once I finish it I will just sell it. $$$$$ It's a hot ticket book still until the next reprints come out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2021, 12:43 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
nah, once I finish it I will just sell it. $$$$$ It's a hot ticket book still until the next reprints come out.

LOL. No, keep it man. Seriously. You will really appreciate it later on in your life
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2021, 07:47 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

When I first started out in hiking, I looked at getting from point A to B as an accomplishment until my interest in photography grew. Nowadays, I'm more interested in trying to find something interesting to photograph along the way or to be on location to photograph. Photography has really opened up my eyes and made me more observant of the environment when I'm out in the woods. Everyone has different interests and goals however it just feels good to be outdoors. No matter what the weather (snow, rain or sun), I've been consistent in heading out for a walk. I've also read a lot of journal articles on the impact that physical exercise and being in the forest environment can have on the psychological and mental well being compared to being in a city.
One thing I like about Spectrum's reports is that he goes to places that I didn't know existed or has a name, like Mt. Hicks, probably because I don't waste my time scrutinizing the maps. He also reminds me of my youth when I use to have a lot of energy and do a lot of solo bushwhacking.
Spectrum likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2021, 02:47 PM
Summit Master

That's a good post. There is no 'right' or more or less worthy way to explore outdoors. I just learned, based on my own experience, that being obsessed with certain goal ('must touch that summit cairn or the day was wasted') defies the purpose of going out to feel good and enjoy the nature. It was a peak here in Rockies, I had hard time getting up, eventually did & spent all my summit break worrying if I'll be able to safely climb down. Like having deadline at work. Screw that, why are you doing it to yourself.

Nowdays I prefer exploring by far. If I can scramble something along the way fine, but if I don't that's fine too. But getting into beautiful area where everything is new and exciting, that really pushes my buttons. I.e never did Stein traverse. Or Sigurd loop. Or Seagram Lakes. Or looking at Van Island and whole bag of riches called Strathcona. Traverse from Bedwell Lakes over Cream Lake to Della Falls. Or epic 'beach' hikes like Nootka. Really must do Nootka. etc etc
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2021, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
That's a good post. There is no 'right' or more or less worthy way to explore outdoors. I just learned, based on my own experience, that being obsessed with certain goal ('must touch that summit cairn or the day was wasted') defies the purpose of going out to feel good and enjoy the nature. It was a peak here in Rockies, I had hard time getting up, eventually did & spent all my summit break worrying if I'll be able to safely climb down. Like having deadline at work. Screw that, why are you doing it to yourself.

Nowdays I prefer exploring by far. If I can scramble something along the way fine, but if I don't that's fine too. But getting into beautiful area where everything is new and exciting, that really pushes my buttons. I.e never did Stein traverse. Or Sigurd loop. Or Seagram Lakes. Or looking at Van Island and whole bag of riches called Strathcona. Traverse from Bedwell Lakes over Cream Lake to Della Falls. Or epic 'beach' hikes like Nootka. Really must do Nootka. etc etc
Same here, .. I especially like new places, and happy to hike regardless of conditions. repeat it for a sunny for photos, I love combining photography and hiking. Had some companions so peak-baggging driven.......it was no fun, and felt the point was missed.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page