• 2 Post By russellcoffin
  • 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By martin
  • 1 Post By KARVITK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2021, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default West Knob via Whyte Lake

Great afternoon adventure to West Knob and other treasures in the area. I left downtown around 4:30 and met up with Nick on the other side. We masked up and drove to the trailhead which is next to the highway just before Nelson Creek goes under.

The first 30 minutes in insanely scenic and this is coming from someone who was privileged enough to have their childhood home back into Lynn Canyon. The old growth forests here are spectacular and it was nice to do it on a weekday with only a few people along the way. This section took us 30 minutes to get to the lake.

After there, head clockwise around the lake alongside the board walk and then heading north to intersect above the lake with the Baden Powell Trail. From here, you follow the well tracked BP until 600 meters where you must turn left as the Baden Powell heads in the wrong direction to Eagle Bluffs and eventually Black Mountain. The West Knob trail from here goes on for 15 minutes which involves one last intersection where you hang left again with the trail continuing to Donut Rock. The trail works its way up to the lovely and quiet bluffs called West Knob and you can continue on from here to the true bump summit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210317_013245479.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	284634

Nick and I messed around at the summit and bushwhacked around to find some hidden treasures in the area. Overall, its a great hike and was nice to head back down with headlamps after sunset. Some snow for the last 5 minutes but pretty much none on trail.
solo75 and Paulimus like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2021, 04:51 PM
Summit Master

I always liked that area too. Whyte lake is very peaceful & there are also various loop options, both for short and long outings.
Here's pic I took at that platform by Whyte Lake, think it was October, 2 people really enjoying fall scenery
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 2.46.27 PM.png
Views:	7
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	284636
russellcoffin likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2021, 08:35 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Nice one! I drove by the Whyte Lake trailhead parking beside the highway (49.360764,-123.258380) last Saturday and it looked very busy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2021, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I hiked there with our local outdoors group years ago, makes for a pleasant hike. December 2009

Here is a link to my report ...

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...c-06-09-a.html

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page