CK = Columbia-Kootenays (includes east and west Kootenays) Lantzville Loop ... sweet! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2020, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Lantzville Loop ... sweet!

Hey folks. It's been a quiet 2 months for us, hiking wise, as we've been preoccupied with family matters. When we've had free time it's been full blast mountain bike trail riding. We enjoy that 'cuz it's in our outdoor world and produces a serious, fun workout in a lot less time than a day hike. Time for us has been tight lately.

In keeping with the XJ6 hiking theme, "SSS" ... Short, Steep + Scenic, here's a nugget for you, barely a few minutes drive from Lantzville on Van Island. This hike, on an excellent trail, wanders it's way up the north side of the Copley Ridge. Most folks take the 5 km Loop (red) but there's also the 4 km up+back climb to the Lantzville Lookout (blue). The climb to the lookout involves a steady, steep + fun 1,000' climb to a rock summit with nice views of Nanoose harbour and the coast mountains of the sunshine coast. The loop has some climbing too but less so than the summit.

This is a sweet, short outing that is dog-friendly + easy to access. It's part of a very large, diverse trail system in the low lying mountains of the Copley ridge to foothills.

It was a crappy, cold, cloudy day so the pics are lousy. If you're looking for a few good hours, with a bit of thigh burn + cardio, do this hike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	routes.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	283126  

Name:	20201226_204753.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	283128  

Name:	20201226_205127.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	283130  

Name:	20201226_205110.jpg
Size:	894.5 KB
ID:	283132  

Name:	20201226_205042.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	283134  

Name:	20201226_204729.jpg
Size:	992.8 KB
ID:	283136  

Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2020, 03:43 PM
Summit Master

Have you moved to the Island now?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2020, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Hey ya, Zelz... No we haven't moved to the island yet. However with covid, our son-in-law, who is a key worker with one of the railways, has hardly been home to their place in the Hills above qualicum.

So we have been there, providing child care assistance and help for my daughter on their very big property. When the free time allows, I get on my mountain bike and bang around the local trails and FSRs up into the Hills. Also doing some nice short steep hikes locally

How are things in canmore? Covid situation and all that?

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2020, 06:08 PM
Summit Master

Smaller places are always better compared to bigger ones. Only real difference are masks when you go shopping. Also AHS has postponed non critical medical treatments (but you can still get dental appointment). Outdoors are non impacted, parks are open, but there are more people. The other day they had to turn back people wanting to go skiing at Sunshine because it reached capacity.

How are things on the Island? BC Ferries?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2020, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

on the island, covid is fairly quiet, there are not many cases, very few hospitalizations and most people comply with the social distancing, masking and sanitation requirements. So all is well.

BC is of course under a travel restriction requirement. there were extra ferry sailings added for the Christmas season but most of that was related to commercial traffic. The extra sailings were only 1/5 the normal amount of extra sailings that are put on at Christmas time. Popular hiking trails that don't have snow on them are still quite busy. I've also seen people out mountain biking where I've never seen anyone before this time of year!

In BC the overwhelming number of covid cases, hospitalizations and fatalities have been in the Fraser health region which encompasses the city of Surrey out to Chilliwack. Probably half of BC's cases hospitalizations and fatalities are from that one greater Surrey area.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2020, 09:49 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post

In BC the overwhelming number of covid cases, hospitalizations and fatalities have been in the Fraser health region which encompasses the city of Surrey out to Chilliwack. Probably half of BC's cases hospitalizations and fatalities are from that one greater Surrey area.

That doesn't surprise me. The denser the population, the more infections. I am somewhat surprised by relatively low infection rate in metro-Van. But overall my impression is that BC Provincial government handled situation pretty good, maybe the best in whole country.

I was going to spend winter in Vic, but gave up because of these travel restrictions although I probably could. Winter is nice here if it doesn't get too cold. Last week there was tons of snow and people were skiing and showshoeing in downtown Canmore if you believe.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2020, 08:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
When we've had free time it's been full blast mountain bike trail riding. We enjoy that 'cuz it's in our outdoor world and produces a serious, fun workout in a lot less time than a day hike.
I think eventually I'd like to get into fat tire biking as they can be used year round even in snow and they are made for logging roads. A few years ago when I took a trip to Haida Gwaii, I met a fellow from the Island who took the ferry to Prince Rupert and used his fat tire bike to explore Haida Gwaii and then ride back home.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2020, 05:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking

That’s a nice looking loop! Have to give it a try if we ever get back to the Island.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
I think eventually I'd like to get into fat tire biking as they can be used year round even in snow and they are made for logging roads. A few years ago when I took a trip to Haida Gwaii, I met a fellow from the Island who took the ferry to Prince Rupert and used his fat tire bike to explore Haida Gwaii and then ride back home.
Yeah, spot on. My bike has 27.5+ tires, 2.8" wide. Not fat tires but really good for any type of rough trail. When i get a few hours on the island, or at home on the sunshine coast, I grab the back and head up some deactivated FSR and bash my way around. The bike is portable, quiet and great fitness too. It's a hell of lot harder grinding 4 km uphill on a Mtn Bike than on most hikes, or even scrambles. Mind you, the bike is a lot faster, usually.. LOL

Bike/Hikes are becoming more of thing for me.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Thatís a nice looking loop! Have to give it a try if we ever get back to the Island.
excellent mountain biking and a surprisingly good hiking area. Easy access, diverse terrain, some good strenuous non technical uphill stuff ... and nice views with beautiful forests
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lantzville.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	283142  

Last edited by xj6response; 12-30-2020 at 02:53 PM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
That doesn't surprise me. The denser the population, the more infections. I am somewhat surprised by relatively low infection rate in metro-Van. But overall my impression is that BC Provincial government handled situation pretty good, maybe the best in whole country.

I was going to spend winter in Vic, but gave up because of these travel restrictions although I probably could. Winter is nice here if it doesn't get too cold. Last week there was tons of snow and people were skiing and showshoeing in downtown Canmore if you believe.
Aside from the death toll in seniors' homes, which is really awful, the impact of Covid in most places in BC is quite minimal, especially on Van Island and the east kootenay. The restrictions are a pain but ferry passenger loads are very light.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 06:46 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Aside from the death toll in seniors' homes, which is really awful, the impact of Covid in most places in BC is quite minimal, especially on Van Island and the east kootenay. The restrictions are a pain but ferry passenger loads are very light.

There were (are) bad pockets. The other week on Global they reported that Revelstoke was hit real hard & mayor even considered sealing off entire town.

This pandemic also revealed a lot about people. Majority behaving, obeying guidelines/restrictions etc. But there are bad apples everywhere. Just read about some 24 yr old repeatedly hosting large parties in downtown Vancouver despite several violation tickets & finally got himself arrested.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post

This pandemic also revealed a lot about people. Majority behaving, obeying guidelines/restrictions etc. But there are bad apples everywhere. Just read about some 24 yr old repeatedly hosting large parties in downtown Vancouver despite several violation tickets & finally got himself arrested.
I guess we'll see if there's any fallout from Christmas + New Years

Hope your 2021 is full of mountain exploration

post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 08:52 PM
Summit Master

Quote:

Hope your 2021 is full of mountain exploration

Thank you. Same to you. Hopefully we can finally meet in person next yr; I feel we'd have lot to talk about. Cheers!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page