CK = Columbia-Kootenays (includes east and west Kootenays) Brewer Lakes - Purcell Larch glory - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

5Likes
  • 4 Post By xj6response
  • 1 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Brewer Lakes - Purcell Larch glory

Spent a superb sunny sunday scampering up the 5.5 km trail to Brewer Lakes, southwest of Invermere. A beautiful crisp, chilly day on a trail that was busier than I have ever seen it. Typically, a nice fall day would see 1/2 dozen vehicles at the TH. This time the parking areas was so packed we could not turn around. The last 2 km of the 26 km FSR to the TH is quite rough so it was disturbing to see families in 2WD sedans trying to fight their way there. I suppose it's just another story of over-used trails in this Covid19 era.

It was a wonderful day anyways. The air was so clear, the trail in good shape apart from the two steep sections which were very iced over. The hike through the first two meadows on the way to the Brewer lakes was more beautiful than usual, what with so many larches in golden colour and the Brewer range of mountains all snow capped.

This is a Purcell gem, and fits our definition of "SSS Perfect" ... Short, Steep, Scenic! It's actually not very steep, rising 1750' from where we parked, but the climb is nice, steady and the scenic value is excellent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brewer route.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	722.3 KB
ID:	281236  

Name:	brewer 6.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	835.8 KB
ID:	281238  

Name:	brewer 5.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	281240  

Name:	brewer 4.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	281242  

Name:	brewer 2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	281244  

Name:	brewer 3.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	281246  

Name:	brewer 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	281248  

sidetrip, Mr. B, solo75 and 1 others like this.

Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 07:14 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Typically, a nice fall day would see 1/2 dozen vehicles at the TH. This time the parking areas was so packed we could not turn around.

That has been the case whole summer in Rockies. Cities are covid trap everyone tried to escape even for a day + lots of people had more time because of unemployment. Sign of the times
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 11:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

You seemed to have timed the larches perfectly on that hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
A beautiful crisp, chilly day on a trail that was busier than I have ever seen it. I suppose it's just another story of over-used trails in this Covid19 era.
I've noticed that too. Even on a weekday, trails were busier compared to previous years. I appear to be the only one conscious of trying to keep my distance as people charge up the trail forgetting that we are still in a pandemic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 07:59 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Looks like some nice ridgeline traversing with some scrambly summit bits above the lake.

Every journey begins with one small step.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Hey friends, just a few comments about this hike to Brewer lakes. It is the beginning of the trans-purcell route that goes from the Columbia Valley south of invermere across the Brewer range to mount Goldie then down hopeful Creek to Panorama BC. Some years back there was quite a well-known mountain biking Enduro challenge route across this traverse. That is now forbidden by recreation sites BC and regulations. However the Brewer range makes for fantastic scrambling hiking and overnighting as well
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 09:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Hmm I will have to look that up. How many k is this Trans Purcell route if you happen to know?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrip View Post
Hmm I will have to look that up. How many k is this Trans Purcell route if you happen to know?
You're probably looking about 20 km from Brewer Creek trailhead all the way up to mount Brewer, across the goldie Goldie lakes then down hopeful to Panorama where you could be picked up.

An excellent trip is the hike up to Brewer lakes where you could bivy, or continue on up to the ridge below Mount Brewer then scramble up Mount Brewer. Spend the night up there then ridge hike across to Mt Goldie and then down to Panorama village via several different routes

the best trail down from the goldie ridge is hopeful Creek trail in Panorama but during the summer it is restricted to mountain bike downhill only so you'd have to make your way down the standard Summit trail which is in part a service road for the ski hill.

The trip him from the west side Windermere Lake Road to the Brewer Creek trailhead is about 26 km of old Forest service road, some of it is active. The tail end of it, the last two or three kilometers is quite rough. You could be dropped off there then picked up in Panorama.

At one time, serious Enduro mountain bikers did this trip on a regular basis. A really tough go but a lot of fun. much better to do it as a hiker scrambler

The scenic vistas from the Brewer Mount Goldie ridge are just epic, on a clear day up to mount a center point and down the Rocky mountain trench to the Cranbrook area the purcells the southern Rockies it really is a wonderful place
ColdBrook likes this.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 08:07 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks for all the details. Couldn't really find anything. Still haven't been out and about in that area but have to change that soon (;

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrip View Post
Thanks for all the details. Couldn't really find anything. Still haven't been out and about in that area but have to change that soon (;
Here's a cool Mtn Bike/Hike trip report from a local guy. Make sure to look at both pages day one + day two

https://mattruta.com/2014/10/18/brew...cking-day-one/

Last edited by xj6response; 10-13-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page