• 1 Post By spacemonkey
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer
Default Spectacular Sigurd Peak

Hiked July 29, 2020

As my dog‘s third birthday treat I decided to try Sigurd again after a failed attempt last year. Was happy to see all the blowdown from last year had been trimmed...(thank you to the trail maintenance elves!) With weather at 29 degrees I wasn’t so stoked to be out al day in the heat working with elevation, but I knew the views would be unobstructed.

Hit the trail at 9am, made it to the first junction in less than two hours. It took another 4.25 hours with three breaks to reach the false summit. Once we left the treeline we really felt the temperature and my dog was more than happy to take a dip in the tarns. It took longer than we thought to reach the false summit, so we decided to call it here rather than push onto the summit. Plus there was also a pretty significant overhang of snow on the col with warm temperatures we decided not to press on. As it was we got down back to the car around 7pm with the light already fading in the trees. Overall happy with the decision to turn back when we did as I didn’t want to have to break out my headlamp, but it would have been nice to look over the far side to the lakes. Another time!

Sucked back 4.5L of water, but could have used more. No clouds made it hotter than expected. Really enjoy this area, would like to adventure out to Ossa sometime.
Attached Images

Paulimus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

That is a really nice trip. beautiful scenery to share with your friend... looks refreshing to be in that pool.

Imagine the air was getting a little thin up there, high elevation the way it looks. Together with the heat that would greatly sap your strength.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 11:25 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Wonderful trip, love the shots of the pooch. I tried Sigurd last year and failed owing to blowdown, horrible weather coming in. You had much better outcome than i did

I'll have to try again

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Wonderful trip, love the shots of the pooch. I tried Sigurd last year and failed owing to blowdown, horrible weather coming in. You had much better outcome than i did

I'll have to try again
Same here, I turned around last year too because of the blowdown. Was too much to deal with plus the elevation.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 01:51 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post

I'll have to try again

When you eventually make it to the top, make sure you drop on the other side for a bit. Scenery is out of this world, much better from what you see while ascending. You also get to see not often visited Sigurd Lake

[Lovely tarn ~5min west from Sigurd summit; would be outstanding bivi spot]

[Sigurd Lake; next time I get up there I'll overnight there, then loop return via Trio of Lakes at Sigurd Headwaters; this is one of best trips around].
xj6response likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 05:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
When you eventually make it to the top, make sure you drop on the other side for a bit. Scenery is out of this world, much better from what you see while ascending. You also get to see not often visited Sigurd Lake

[Sigurd Lake; next time I get up there I'll overnight there, then loop return via Trio of Lakes at Sigurd Headwaters; this is one of best trips around].
Those pics are terrific. Serious motivation to get up there and try again

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page