MV = Metro Vancouver The LCT... - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Biffybee

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit
Default The LCT...

... as in, Lynn Crest Trail.

PAW and I both had this in mind for 20+ years. Very satisfying to complete a fun little romp around the backyard. We went clockwise, from tidewater.

We carried a 60m, 6mm line and a meager ration of tat and gear: Turns out it wasn't required, thanks in part to the kind soul who fixed ropes north of Crown. The exit move from the final rope is memorable. Thanks also to the goats for their useful trails.

There's a good 360 image here showing almost all of the fun stuff.

We were 48.5 hrs car to car (we had two *extended rests* en route) but the total travel time was 26hr 30min, including the usual short snack breaks. Our GPS stats don't match up (my phone was often in my backpack, Gaia likely underestimates) so take your pick:

GAIA: 53.1 Km, 4,001 m gain/loss.
STRAVA: 57.5 Km, 5,324 m gain/loss.

Full disclosure: We dropped down to Lynn Lake for rest/water, and rejoined the crest route via "Cache creek" to the west ridge of Burwell... which was fast and recommended, but we did bypass a minor part of the true crest route.

There was some bush, and a B3 rating seems fair based on established criteria such as "vegetation may assist progress at times" and "the trail becomes difficult to follow."

Overall difficulty: TD+ with one move of PG13.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCT.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	278468  

Name:	Crown dissent.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	278480  

Name:	Crown and camel.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	278482  

Name:	bush.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	278484  

Last edited by Biffybee; 08-06-2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: edit: clarify total time taken and technical gear taken (but not used)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 05:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

well, somebody finally did it. I've been working on this for a few years now, didn't have the energy to complete last couple of seasons. Well done!! This is a high quality loop with North Shore bush.
Is the final rope still in one piece? It was pretty worn through last time I saw it (I dont know who put it in)
A single day push is quite the feat. I was planning on a bivy at Lynn Lake.
not sure you can call it a trail though...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Summit Master

It is really amazing what some of you hardcore guys are capable off. First Indian Arm in a day and now this. When oldmatt says "didn't have the energy" that speaks for itself. Casual 'drop to Lynn Lake for rest and water'. etc etc. It is not accidental average Coast hiker is twice as fit as average Rockies hiker

Congrats and thank you for posting here. Would love to see more photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmatt View Post
I've been working on this for a few years now...
I really appreciate all the work, explorations and postings from those who have ventured into this area. I'm sharing info here in a similar spirit to Jose's TR about the Indian Arm Trail: as a token of thanks to those who came before and to 'give a little bit back' in terms of sharing the magic of what's in our back yard. It's a fine line here, hopefully not giving too much away in order to preserve the possibility of adventure.

Quote:
Is the final rope still in one piece? It was pretty worn through last time I saw it (I dont know who put it in)
Yes, the final fixed line is still in one piece, but quite worn thru where it abrades on the rock. The 'root' it's attached to on the lower end may not be around much longer, and the gully below may have eroded significantly since installation (hence the exciting exit move?).

How long ago did you use this fixed line? Was it spicy leaving the rope and getting on to the ridge proper?

Quote:
A single day push is quite the feat. I was planning on a bivy at Lynn Lake.
My apologies - OP was misleading and will be edited for clarity: We were 48.5 hrs car to car, with two *extended rest stops* along the way. Total travel time with short snack breaks (26.5 hrs) was listed to give folks an idea of how long to expect 'being on the move' for this outing.

Quote:
not sure you can call it a trail though...
I can see your point on this.... but consider, just over half the time (14.5 hrs) was on well established and documented trails, and another ~ 6-7 hrs had either intermittent flagging (Bagger challenge folks, dedicated explorers like yourself, etc.) or moderately obvious goat paths.

Feels like we're in a mini 'golden age' for folks travelling previously remote routes, and it's not much beyond that point where routes become trails. For example, I'd say that going from Lynn Peak to the North Needle is now a trail, whereas ten years ago it was barely a route.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 08:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

HI,
The rope was worn at the corner, but the bottom root seemed to be in good shape. I was there two years ago. That whole face coming off the ridge is definitely interesting with the undercut just below your feet. Reminds me of some limestone cliffs out east.

The looking-back-at-Spindle pic is great. Shows the features well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page