MV = Metro Vancouver Eagle Bluffs - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Eagle Bluffs

Once in a while a day hike in BCs coast mountains ticks every box on the 'excellent adventure' list. Perfect weather, stunning scenery, not too long, not too short with enough climb to get some thigh burn. This hike on the Eagle Ridge Bluffs trail, in Cypress Provincial park fits the bill. I haven't been here for many years and recall Zeljkok's post from a few years back reminding us of the high 'bang-for-buck' on this outing.

I did the 'loop' route on a very hot July 27th, starting at 10:00 am on the first day pf BC Parks DAY PASS requirements. Starting with a heart pounding 1km climb up many switchbacks the trail then wanders through pretty forest and past gorgeous small lakes for another 4 km. It ends at Eagle Ridge Bluffs with 'wow' views of Vancouver, west van, the Howe sound islands, Gibson's area and across Georgia Strait to Vancouver Island. One of the top 20 or so viewscapes of any hike anywhere in the world that I've been on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	278294  

Name:	eagle0004.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	278296  

Name:	eagle0005.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	633.5 KB
ID:	278298  

Name:	eagle0006.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	278300  

Name:	eagle0007.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	786.4 KB
ID:	278302  

Name:	eagle0001.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	795.8 KB
ID:	278304  

Name:	eagle0002.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	809.1 KB
ID:	278306  

Name:	eagle0009.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	278312  

Attached Images

Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 09:55 PM
Summit Master

Thank you for posting this. Eagle Bluffs is my fav North Shore viewpoint by large margin
What is "BC Parks DAY PASS requirement"? Something Cypress specific or Covid-related? (or neither)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Thank you for posting this. Eagle Bluffs is my fav North Shore viewpoint by large margin
What is "BC Parks DAY PASS requirement"? Something Cypress specific or Covid-related? (or neither)
Yeah, that route is a winner. On such a hot day the small lakes were perfect places to cool off. A good trail for a dry day, so much of it would be very muddy and root exposed in rainy weather.

BC Parks has instituted compulsory Day Pass requirements on very high volume trails. In part for Covid but also, I think, as first steps in controlling the excessive pressure in key areas. Passes are free but must be booked on the same day, after 6:00 am in the morning. Here's more info:

http://bcparks.ca/reserve/day-use/

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 04:32 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post

BC Parks has instituted compulsory Day Pass requirements on very high volume trails. In part for Covid but also, I think, as first steps in controlling the excessive pressure in key areas. Passes are free but must be booked on the same day, after 6:00 am in the morning. Here's more info:

http://bcparks.ca/reserve/day-use/

I see. Can't say its surprising. Interesting is response to penalty question:

Quote:
Under the Park Act, the potential penalties are $115, however the focus for this pilot will be on education and helping users adjust to the new requirements.

In reality this means you can go without pass. First no way this can effectively be policed, even with enough resources, second 'focus on education' comment. Also "we continue to ask non-residents to visit BC Parks another time" So now park with AB license plate in Rubble Creek and you are guaranteed to have car smashed when you come back. In Banff/Canmore there is almost witch hunt on occasionally spotted US license plate, most of which are actually legal (dual residence). Etc etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
I see. Can't say its surprising. Interesting is response to penalty question:
In reality this means you can go without pass. First no way this can effectively be policed, even with enough resources, second 'focus on education' comment. Also "we continue to ask non-residents to visit BC Parks another time"
Yes, the parks ranger at Cypress said similar things. For the moment it's an attempt to 'educate'. That said, if they tried to enforce this it would require major resources. BC Parks is quite thinly staffed as is. I don't know how this will work out.

As for AB plates and negative reaction, I haven't seen much of that on the island or the coast. In the Okanagan there certainly have been more troubling incidents. In the east Kootenay things have been ok but Albertans contribute very heavily to the BC East Kootenay economy.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:31 PM
Summit Master

There are plenty of BC then Ontario / Quebec license plates in Rockies.
I think people just need to chill out and try to be kind to each other. Go to Eagle Bluffs , soak up the views and be glad we live in Canada in these globally uncertain times.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
There are plenty of BC then Ontario / Quebec license plates in Rockies.
I think people just need to chill out and try to be kind to each other. Go to Eagle Bluffs , soak up the views and be glad we live in Canada in these globally uncertain times.
fear has a way of spiraling downward. Better to focus on hope, and the magnificent mountains in both BC and Alberta. Like this, Garibaldi from the habrich trail this morning. It was a perfect day on the trail
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	garibaldismall.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	278416  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page