FV = Fraser Valley Mount Nutt South Peak & North Peak April 3, 2020 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spectrum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Mount Nutt South Peak & North Peak April 3, 2020

If anyone has been following my trip reports I met Mel Olson back in October 2018, she had never done anything like this before. I told her what to buy and gave her a few tips on the trips we did together and next thing you know within 1 year knocked off the Washington 5 volcanoes(Rainier, Baker,Glacier,Adams & Helens) Then Katie, same thing decided to join me and Mel on a trip in March 2019 up Dewdney which was a brutal trip for snow conditions, and now she's doing trips like Urqhart and Marmot,Ratney and Bardean and wanting obscure peaks as we clean out Sunshine Valley. This was supposed to be our 1 year 3some reunion where all our schedules lined up for something big! but unfortunately the weather was all over the place which meant setting our sights alittle lower. I asked for some options out in the Mission/Maple ridge area, Katie mentioned both Nutts. Quick search on Clubtread found some reports from the usual suspects. Summer time this trip looks horrible so with a big snowpack like this year I made the call and told them tomorrow it's all bout deeeezzz nuts!

Golden Ears oddly enough was still open during this pandemic but on winter hours so we arrived at the gate at 8:15 when it opened at 8am. Parked at the popular lower falls trailhead and started hiking. After about 15min the trailhead appears on your right. Alhike on Clubtread has down alot of work on these trails out here and this trail was very well marked. If you get lost on this trail, time to take up a new hobby. There really isn't much to say about this portion, just a steep trail upto a little swamp/tarn/lake?

After the swamp, we hit snow. Katie was leading the charge today, she uses this trail as training for her trailrunning but has only made it as far as South nutt before where the trail ends. She was quite stubborn and postholed in the lead for quite sometime. Me and Mel kept giggling to ourselves but being 2nd or 3rd was completely fine because there was a very hard crust underneath a big dump of powder. Eventually Mel was the smart one and took a timeout to put her shoes on, I decided I would just sit in 2nd place and put my shoes on whenever she got tired of postholing. It wasn't long before we were strapping in and Mel blazed on by us.

1 little rocky step to navigate in fresh powder proved to be a challenge for Mel, I looped around and got above where she was stuck and extended my pole for her to grab and pull herself up with. Now were on the Nutt ridge and it was a very pleasant deep pow ridge stroll. This takes you to the first major view point or SE lower nutt.

We started the day in the rain, then the wind, then it started to snow on us and at the viewpoint socked in the clouds so no point sticking around, Next stop was South Nutt which required a slight drop in elevation then standard ridge travel to the top of South Nutt.

While standing on the summit of South Nutt the clouds parted for abit and gave us a glimpse of North Nutt and the drop to the col that was required. That nasty crust was around the whole day, but the 30cm of fresh light powder made surfing or buttsliding down all the small walls extremely fun and challenging to see if you could stay upright the whole way and ski down. Sometimes graceful, sometimes covered in snow.

If you watch the video you will think I don't break trail, but I can assure you I do. From the col upto North Nutt it's the steepest portion of the trip so I pulled my weight and went to work. We arrived at our first challenge of the day, a cliff band. Rather than wasting too much time looking left, or right we saw a slight weakness straight up. It was steep and wind blasted. I started up being able to kick really good steps into the hard snow but eventually it got too steep and too hard. I had to stomp out a platorm and transition from poles and snowshoes to ice axe and kicking alot of times to break through the crust. The girls at least said the steps were upto their liking as they blasted up that section after me.

Once above the cliff we knew we were close but even a few meters in boots was tough in the powder so we strapped the snowshoes on and Mel who's a beast got summit fever and arrived at the top of North Nutt followed by Katie and Moi. We tapped poles in the name of social distancing. 3 nutcases Zen Master Blair, Captain Morgan Mel and Tiger Queen Katie being nutty for our summit shot.

Spotwx has been pretty decent at predicting weather windows and cloud level and clearing times, we nailed our weather window cause the sun came out and surrounding peaks cleared up. Robie Reid, Raven,Martyn, Crickmer, Gatey, etc etc.

A really long break in the sun on the summit, then we started our way back. It went like this. Down N.Nutt. Up S.Nutt. Down S.Nutt. Up SE Nutt. Down trail.

The parking lot was kinda busy, we got there around 3:30pm, changed into some comfy clothes, got out the camp chair or tailgate, put on the tunes, sat in the sun for like an hour with some PBR's , Angry Orchard Cider, Gin Smash Blackcurrent and Raspberry Sour Moon Juice. This little runt of a mountain turned out to be a sweet lil reunion trip. Little did we know that the next day the whole park would be closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200403-202849_Strava.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	981.7 KB
ID:	274490  

Name:	20200403_101425.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	274492  

Name:	20200403_092313.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	274494  

Name:	20200403_104352.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	822.5 KB
ID:	274496  

Name:	20200403_110349.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	683.5 KB
ID:	274498  

Name:	20200403_112811.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	713.0 KB
ID:	274500  

Name:	20200403_135218.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	628.7 KB
ID:	274502  

Name:	20200403_113819.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	753.5 KB
ID:	274504  

Name:	20200403_115403.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	274506  

Name:	20200403_120851.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	966.7 KB
ID:	274508  

Name:	20200403_121323.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1,013.3 KB
ID:	274510  

Name:	20200403_122258.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	897.3 KB
ID:	274512  

Name:	20200403_123038.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	579.1 KB
ID:	274514  

Name:	20200403_125605.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	274516  

Name:	20200403_130808.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	766.6 KB
ID:	274518  

Name:	20200403_134927.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	701.3 KB
ID:	274520  

Name:	20200403_160125.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1,011.1 KB
ID:	274522  

martin likes this.

Last edited by Spectrum; 04-06-2020 at 02:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 12:09 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Well done, nice weather and good timing getting in before the park closure!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

A really long break in the sun on the summit, then we started our way back. It went like this. Down N.Nutt. Up S.Nutt. Down S.Nutt. Up SE Nutt. Down trail.
SE Nutt? Come on now you're just making stuff up...

I was up that way one Thanksgiving. Surprised you'd find it better in the snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

SE Nutt? Come on now you're just making stuff up...[IMG class=inlineimg]/images/ClubTread_2014/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

I was up that way one Thanksgiving. Surprised you'd find it better in the snow.
Exactly! That is what Katie said the locals call it. I don't like it either, it's basically just the 1st major viewpoint. I will go back and change it to "upto lookout" 😀
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:56 PM
Summit Master

"lookout" or "end of trail". Not sure if trail has been cleared in the meantime, but at a time when I went there it was usually called that.

Interesting remark about snow, because I also thought it was way easier with snow. I went there twice, once in October -- to "lookout" only, way too much bush after, and once in April, good firm snow, but fell asleep on S. Nutt and never made it to N. Nutt. Think S. Nutt was wrongly labelled as Mt. Nutt at that time, not sure if it changed in the meantime.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page