A Bad Case of the Bens - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography
Default A Bad Case of the Bens

This is a trip I did with SimonC, Spectrum, DBlair, and Too Many Canyons way back in spring of 2006. I never did devote the time to writing it up until now, probably because there was so much information and notes to review.
This was an incredibly fun day in the mountains, with plenty of laughs and challenges. When they say friends made in the mountains are friends made forever, well, looking back, this was that.

Anyway, here it is, in two chapters on my website, links are below, with a few photos! Speaking of which, thanks to both Simon and Chris for the photo contributions, to Alan for the loaner trekking pole, and to everyone for the laughs, especially Denis!

https://bctreehunter.wordpress.com/2...bens-part-one/

https://bctreehunter.wordpress.com/2...bens-part-two/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31436284906_a543667be3_o.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	828.4 KB
ID:	272802  

Name:	510391530_e48280ec16_o.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1,014.2 KB
ID:	272804  

Name:	375159750_8116caa286_o.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	272808  

Name:	375161662_751e43b86a_o.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	272812  

Attached Images

martin, howesound, Mr. B and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:10 PM
Summit Master

It is great that you post this, even if it is mainly a plug for personal blog site. And what a shame most of these guys that made CT in more ways than one are now nowhere to be found.
mick range likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Sure, I guess it is a plug in that everything I write does get linked to my page, and I don't usually use the format here because then I end up doing twice the work. My main reason for posting is that I have a history here and friends on the site I like to share with. My site isn't exactly a money maker, lol. It's true that many of the people who used to post here don't post that much anymore, but Alan (Spectrum) and Simon still certainly do. This is still an excellent forum, content wise. Good to see you are still posting here, btw, I enjoy your adventures

Last edited by mick range; 01-17-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:26 AM
Summit Master

Thx Mick, yes CT drain is separate topic.

But back to Bens, Mtn. Lake area is fantastic. Probably less accessible now that gate off 99 seems to be perm. closed. I did Ben Lomond but would enjoy traverse towards Ledge from BCMC hut with side trip up Sheer or even drop down to Utopia lake, think there used to be a trail. Great stuff
mick range likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I remember the trip you did there as well.From what I hear lately you have to be a BCMC member to get access from that gate. When we were going up there you had to make a similar arrangement. Sometimes the gate would be open in morning but then it would get locked in the afternoon. That trail from Utopia I have heard has fallen into disuse now, and I suppose the whole area is now more accessible from the Sea to Sky Gondola (?) It'd be great to head in there again!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

That was a fun day out in the mountains for sure. Glad you posted this up on the site. It's pretty stale nowadays as you mentioned.
mick range likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I looked at all the trips that we did in this area, especially Simon. Simon could write a guide on the area.
These two threads here I was rereading this afternoon, I still have not done Bagpipe, Ben Vorlich, Avon, and Sheer, as well as Sky Pilot, lol

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...r-29-09-a.html

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...t-09-11-a.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:04 AM
Summit Master

I also remember series of Simon TRs on the area & totally agree he could write a guidebook or be a guide. Hope he is still around because he hasn't posted on CT in yrs now. He is natural born peakbagger.

Had time today (on a bus in Laos, lol) and read full blog. Very interesting! Specially how Chris went solo up Lomond and rest of you guys cheered from Red. What a fantastic compact alpine area that is.
mick range likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Yeah, it was pretty cool to watch Chris finish off the climb from afar! None of us were sure if he was going to be able to, him included. Have fun in Laos, now there's a place I don't know much about!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:27 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick range View Post
I remember the trip you did there as well.From what I hear lately you have to be a BCMC member to get access from that gate. When we were going up there you had to make a similar arrangement. Sometimes the gate would be open in morning but then it would get locked in the afternoon. That trail from Utopia I have heard has fallen into disuse now, and I suppose the whole area is now more accessible from the Sea to Sky Gondola (?) It'd be great to head in there again!
A couple of years ago I emailed BCMC about the status of the key to the Furry Creek gate. Who emails me back but Glenn Woodsworth, grand master pioneer of Sky Pilot area. Ive read about his many exploits in the Coast mts. over many years, including first winter ascent of Sky Pilot. We had several back and forth on the area, he was gracious in sharing his experiences there. Hes now fairly advanced in age. Yes, he said you have to be a BCMC member to get the key as they don't want Mountain hut area to become a three ring circus. Fair enough I guess. Britannia gate at the top of the hill locked also for a few years. It was getting busy with the 4x4 crowd.
martin, mick range and zeljkok like this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 03:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

I really enjoyed your report especially of areas hardly explored. I couldn't access your website yesterday as Bitdefender blocked it but it's okay today.
mick range likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Yes, part of the reason you used to be able to get in a little more easily is because a lot of us knew BCMC members back in the day (I have never joined myself). It used to also be that you could go as a guest of a member as well, at one time. Glenn is definitely a legend in climbing world!
Jaaklucas likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
I really enjoyed your report especially of areas hardly explored. I couldn't access your website yesterday as Bitdefender blocked it but it's okay today.
Glad you enjoyed the read. Weird about Bitdefender blocking my site. I don't put anything beyond PG 13 on it, lol
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Thanks for posting Mick! I enjoyed reading this. I haven't been there myself but got close once. Beautiful area!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05595.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	272820  

mick range likes this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:12 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaklucas View Post
Yes, he said you have to be a BCMC member to get the key as they don't want Mountain hut area to become a three ring circus. Fair enough I guess.

Agree with this. I stayed in the hut 2 nites (as a non-member) at a time, and it was free with voluntary donation only. It is a nice hut. One can camp easily at many spots nearby, there were just too many mozzies & hut was better option. Had it to myself 1st night, and 2nd night shared with BCMC guy, forgot his name, and had a nice chat. Good times.
mick range and Jaaklucas like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page