A Bad Case of the Bens - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Thanks for posting Mick! I enjoyed reading this. I haven't been there myself but got close once. Beautiful area!
Very close! Nice photo!
martin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:34 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Type 2 fun

that is some epic scenery
mick range likes this.

===========================
My Backpacking & Nature 4k Timelapse Videos

My favorite part about mornings is greeting every spider that traveled across the trail that night, with my face.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:18 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick range View Post
That trail from Utopia I have heard has fallen into disuse now, and I suppose the whole area is now more accessible from the Sea to Sky Gondola (?) It'd be great to head in there again!
Heres a route that showed promise, we did some recon on it 15 years ago ,found in the Fairley book. Another of his famous "disused" approaches. Sky Pilot creek on the east side of the Sky Pilot massif. Drive down the Indian River road for a bit to a bridge crossing the creek. We were looking for a route up to the Nai but gave up as we got higher without route marking. However, following the creek southerly leads right into that area south of the Sky Pilot massif. Easier I think than the gondola. No real markers left after a while of following the creek later, and overgrown but it would be a lot less up and down with gear. I told Glenn about that and I think he recalled a lot of bugs over there!

Last edited by Jaaklucas; 01-18-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:51 AM
Summit Master

Speaking of Nai, RamblingBull had success from Mtn. Lake side (after initial failure from Stawamus side). This is one is all-time classic TRs on this forum:

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...-face-nai.html

I also recall guntis making it to Utopia via Brittania Creek; he can probably elaborate more as he still occassionally comes to CT
mick range and Jaaklucas like this.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

I remember Guntis hitting it up via Britannia but forgot about Marek going for Nai. Thanks for that link, I knew I had read it and even see I commented yet had no memory of the thread details at all. Furry Creek is such great access for the area! DBlair tells me all the time there was a spur you used to be able to drive quite high from the Stawamus side I think. He says he made Sky Pilot a frequent destination because the road was in such great shape but that goes back a lot of years
zeljkok likes this.

Last edited by mick range; 01-19-2020 at 08:30 PM.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 08:16 AM
Summit Master

guntis made it 'only' to Park Lane Lake - made me go look, here's the link:

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...lane-lake.html

They did it in December & snow probably had both advantages and disadvantages. Would be really interesting to learn what kind of travel is required between Park Lane and Utopia; there seems to be fairly distinct old road switchbacking between the two on Google maps. Whole area just begs for exploration.
mick range likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page