ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/)
-   -   MV Mt Coliseum with cougar sighting. (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/93186-mt-coliseum-cougar-sighting.html)

theelasticman 11-03-2019 01:56 PM

49 Attachment(s)
With the perfect weather we have had this week I took a day off work and went up Mt Coliseum on Friday. I had an early start, I started out at 05:45 from the End of the Line cafe by the entrance of the Headwaters park entrance. I was starting the ascent from the Norvan Falls turning at about 07:15 just as it was turning light I was on top for about 10:30, had the place to myself for an hour of exploring and relaxing, it was fantastic with perfect visibility and temperature. The snow was very hard on top with ice on rocks where it was there, but no real need for microspikes as there were plenty of other safe options to walk on. The late autumn light was fantastic the whole day.

On the way back down, just after crossing one of the small tributarys that feeds Norvan Creek I stopped to look at a pool and small waterfall when I heard something walking on rocks to the right of me. Turning round expecting to see a bear I instead saw a fully grown cougar about 50 meters away, walking down hill crossing the trail I just walked down. It was not interested in me I think/hope, but walked slowly away, when I thought I was out of sight going down across another gully I could not help but run, I know this is not what you should do but adrenaline took over! I have admit I did not feel completely safe until reaching the Norvan Falls trail again.

Anyway, I lived to tell the tale...enjoy the photos!

zeljkok 11-03-2019 02:30 PM

Great shots of a classic North Shore trip, really like one with Cathedral and Cornet Lake. Glad cougar encounter went well; these beasts can be sneaky.
btw I think it is "Norvan Falls" (not "Nomant Fall" or "Norman Fall")

theelasticman 11-03-2019 03:34 PM

39 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeljkok (Post 848938)
Great shots of a classic North Shore trip, really like one with Cathedral and Cornet Lake. Glad cougar encounter went well; these beasts can be sneaky.
btw I think it is "Norvan Falls" (not "Nomant Fall" or "Norman Fall")

Errors corrected! Thanks for the heads up and comments Zeljkok!

ClauS 11-04-2019 02:54 PM

Glad to hear the cougar went its own way. I had an encounter with a black bear and cub up there too where the trails from Seymour and Lynn side meet. Mum chased the baby up a tree and grunted a few times. Now I carry spray, bear bangers and make noise on remote trails. I guess I'd be frozen in place instead of running away... being not the greatest mountain runner. Remember the video of the mountain bikers being chased by a bear this fall? I have the feeling had the bikers stayed put the bear may have just walked away.

theelasticman 11-07-2019 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClauS (Post 848944)
Glad to hear the cougar went its own way. I had an encounter with a black bear and cub up there too where the trails from Seymour and Lynn side meet. Mum chased the baby up a tree and grunted a few times. Now I carry spray, bear bangers and make noise on remote trails. I guess I'd be frozen in place instead of running away... being not the greatest mountain runner. Remember the video of the mountain bikers being chased by a bear this fall? I have the feeling had the bikers stayed put the bear may have just walked away.

I have to admit I don't carry any spray though now I will do as I never really felt so vulnerable before. Seeing that beast sure made me realise the pecking order of nature!

martin 11-07-2019 01:56 PM

Great pictures and cool story, must have been nice and quiet up there.

Jaaklucas 11-07-2019 02:34 PM

Many years hiking all over the North Shore mountains and Ive never seen a cougar. Ive seen tracks in the snow that I think were one. They are there as we all know. Im always looking up by habit in the forest, thinking they would survey a prey from a tree.Must have been an adrenaline rush,particularly in a solo situation!